Old Ironsides newest enemy......yuppies

del

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2008
on a one way cul-de-sac
Old Ironsides’ upscale Charlestown neighbors are trying to pull off what British, French and Barbary pirate guns failed to accomplish in more than two centuries - silencing the cannons of the nation’s oldest commissioned naval vessel.

Miffed residents of a posh condo complex have invited the commanding officer of the USS Constitution over for a glass of wine so he can hear for himself that the frigate’s twice-daily cannon blasts - a tradition dating to 1798 - are “more disruptive to the neighborhood than you might have imagined.”

Neighbors aim to silence Old Ironsides’ cannons - BostonHerald.com

fuck em.

‘More disruptive ... than you might have imagined’ - BostonHerald.com

the constitution should start using live rounds, imo.

Old Ironsides’ upscale Charlestown neighbors are trying to pull off what British, French and Barbary pirate guns failed to accomplish in more than two centuries - silencing the cannons of the nation’s oldest commissioned naval vessel.

Miffed residents of a posh condo complex have invited the commanding officer of the USS Constitution over for a glass of wine so he can hear for himself that the frigate’s twice-daily cannon blasts - a tradition dating to 1798 - are “more disruptive to the neighborhood than you might have imagined.”

fuck em.

Seeing as the ship has been doing it forever, this dumb asses can not claim they did not know before they moved in, now can they? But hey we all know how this works, the minority screams of a few always win in this country, how dare tradition or majority impose their ugly head on anyone.

Agreed. Screw them.

This is the last line from the article and sums it up nicely: '“This is the heart of the city’s history,” Ames said. “If you don’t like it, don’t live here.”'

• Banned

fuck em.

Seeing as the ship has been doing it forever, this dumb asses can not claim they did not know before they moved in, now can they? But hey we all know how this works, the minority screams of a few always win in this country, how dare tradition or majority impose their ugly head on anyone.

it's like moving next to a golf course and being surprised when your house gets hit by a ball. unbelievable.

I've only been to Boston once but I must say I was very taken with the city. I visited the USS Constitution (this was on my first visit to the US in 1984) and I was fascinated by the visit. When I found out that she was still commissioned and the personnel aboard were serving personnel in the United States Navy but wearing the uniform of the period I was stunned and delighted. The USS Constitution is a a treasure, a historical treasure of international significance. She must not be limited in her expression of her voice. Anyone privileged to live hear her location should count themselves damn lucky to be there.

• Banned
I've only been to Boston once but I must say I was very taken with the city. I visited the USS Constitution (this was on my first visit to the US in 1984) and I was fascinated by the visit. When I found out that she was still commissioned and the personnel aboard were serving personnel in the United States Navy but wearing the uniform of the period I was stunned and delighted. The USS Constitution is a a treasure, a historical treasure of international significance. She must not be limited in her expression of her voice. Anyone privileged to live hear her location should count themselves damn lucky to be there.

lousy weather, rude people, terrible traffic.

i wouldn't trade it for anything. :tongue:

c'mon back!

fuck em.

The mayor in my hometown, this is only loosley related to the topic but people were complaining noise from the airport. His solution? Move deaf people out there. :lol:

Carty Finkbeiner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look under the heading controversy.

lousy weather, rude people, terrible traffic.

i wouldn't trade it for anything. :tongue:

c'mon back!

I will but I ain't driving a rental car again - those pedestrians scared the hell outta me! :eek:

Agreed. Screw them.

This is the last line from the article and sums it up nicely: '“This is the heart of the city’s history,” Ames said. “If you don’t like it, don’t live here.”'

Ames obviously doesn't know his US history

Charlestown was settled in 1625 and has a long long history, having nothing more to do with the USS Constitution than Chicago or Miami has

USS Constitution was launched in 1797 from Boston.

With the exception that USS Constitution is now birthed in Charelstown, it doesn't really play any sigificant role in that city's history.

My son and I have been on that vessel and its a wonderful thing to behold.

Now as the twice daily booms of the cannon?

Not a clue how disturbing it might be. But give the topography of that area, my guess is it's rather loud since it probably resonates off Bunker Hill.

I say put the issue to referendum of Charlestown's Bunker Hill residents.

I really see no reason to fire a cannon TWICE DAILY in what is basically a RESIDENTAL DISTRICT.

Last edited:
Do they also want to close down the Tobin Bridge due to traffic noise?

There are lots of places in this country where they can live that are perfectly quiet.

Tried to rep, but couldn't. I loved the Constitution! I actually loved Boston entirely. I was surprised how small it is. They had great restaurants and shopping. Went on a 'haunted places' tour on Beacon Hill. Stopped by "Cheers". Pretty cool.

If it gets far enough to where the residents actually win, I am sure there are a few other cities along the Eastern Seaboard that would love to host such a fine vessel even knowing its tradition of twice daily sounding its voice.

I have not yet had the privilege to visit it, but... someday!

Immie

Forum List

Back