Old Ironsides newest enemy......yuppies

Old Ironsides’ upscale Charlestown neighbors are trying to pull off what British, French and Barbary pirate guns failed to accomplish in more than two centuries - silencing the cannons of the nation’s oldest commissioned naval vessel.

Miffed residents of a posh condo complex have invited the commanding officer of the USS Constitution over for a glass of wine so he can hear for himself that the frigate’s twice-daily cannon blasts - a tradition dating to 1798 - are “more disruptive to the neighborhood than you might have imagined.”

Neighbors aim to silence Old Ironsides’ cannons - BostonHerald.com

fuck em.

‘More disruptive ... than you might have imagined’ - BostonHerald.com

the constitution should start using live rounds, imo.
Well, who was there first?

Old Ironsides’ upscale Charlestown neighbors are trying to pull off what British, French and Barbary pirate guns failed to accomplish in more than two centuries - silencing the cannons of the nation’s oldest commissioned naval vessel.

Imagine the carbon footprint of one of those cannons. Al Gore says that everytime a cannon is fired, a polar bear dies. Think of the polar bears.

Miffed residents of a posh condo complex have invited the commanding officer of the USS Constitution over for a glass of wine so he can hear for himself that the frigate’s twice-daily cannon blasts - a tradition dating to 1798 - are “more disruptive to the neighborhood than you might have imagined.”

fuck em.

Exactly...fuck 'em. The grand old ship has been there longer than they have. They don't like it, they can move.

I've only been to Boston once but I must say I was very taken with the city. I visited the USS Constitution (this was on my first visit to the US in 1984) and I was fascinated by the visit. When I found out that she was still commissioned and the personnel aboard were serving personnel in the United States Navy but wearing the uniform of the period I was stunned and delighted. The USS Constitution is a a treasure, a historical treasure of international significance. She must not be limited in her expression of her voice. Anyone privileged to live hear her location should count themselves damn lucky to be there.

lousy weather, rude people, terrible traffic.

i wouldn't trade it for anything. :tongue:

c'mon back!
I LOVE Boston! Weather wasn't lousy (snow in late winter/early spring and beautiful perfect weather in early fall), the traffic was fun (yay rotaries!!!!) and everywhere I went the people were some of the nicest I've ever met. No one was rude, ever. In fact, in the restaurants and pubs I went to people kept sitting down with me and just chatted away... even the waitresses LOL. The first place I went out to eat was in Cambridge on Mass AV... a little hole in the wall Italian place. The guys in the kitchen were screaming at each other in Italian; I was convinced they were going to kill each other. Then they'd start laughing and in the next breath start hollering again. The waitress was tottering around on these stilted high heels just plopped down next to me, kicked off her shoes, "My Gawd, my feet are killin' me! What can I get for ya?" :lol:

But as far as these numbnuts go, the Cap'n should continue to fire off the cannon, and recruit these guys to add some *flavor* to the ceremony :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afl0R4CqpR8&feature=related]YouTube - Boston July 4th 2008 - Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture[/ame]

fuck em.

If they do I hope a stray canonball will make it over to my neighborhood and squash the squeaky vent cover on the roof next door.

Last edited:
Well, we could always pull the Constitution out of there and move it to a city that appreciates it

fuck em.

I HATE YUPPIES!!!!!! they have destroyed nyc also.

fuck em.

Well, who was there first?

the ship, by at least 100 years.

Why the hell did all these people move there if they have a problem with the noise?

I really wonder if it is yuppies complaining about the noise. Wouldn't they all mostly be at work when the blasts happen? My guess is it's a bunch of restless retired people who moved back to the city after living in the burbs.

I really wonder if it is yuppies complaining about the noise. Wouldn't they all mostly be at work when the blasts happen? My guess is it's a bunch of restless retired people who moved back to the city after living in the burbs.

50/50 chance. there have been a lot of empty nesters moving to the city.

if i was mayor, i'd start ripping up the sidewalks outside their house.
that way the sound of the cannon wouldn't bother them so much.

i'm a people person. :)

I have an idea. All the tourists can wear head phones and listen to recordings of canon blasts and the residents can wear ear plugs.

I wonder if people who live next to graveyards ever complain about ghost whisperers?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back