Old fashioned listening.

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
How many of you all here still will listen to an entire album in a sitting?

With today's type of streamed music chosen for you by algorithms , most people I know don't immerse themselves in actually listening to an entire album.

I still listen to at least one entire album a day

This morning I have Blind Faith's self titled album released in 1969 playing

With today's type of streamed music chosen for you by algorithms , most people I know don't immerse themselves in actually listening to an entire album.

I mean no. Nothing having to do with songs, no. Sometimes I'll listen to a few in order, but mostly I hop around, because they're songs.

Now symphonies, oratorios, etc....that's a whole 'nother story. Do not "shuffle" these. EVER. heh

I mean unless you're talking about the B side of Kate Bush "Hounds of Love" and then I might actually throw hands if you shuffle. Because that's a whole experience.

No, I'm just kidding. I'm not violent and me throwing hands would be an abject joke. But I might FEEL like throwing hands.

There was a time in the 60s and 70s, when music was created by musicians. They were a unit working together as one. They wouod even produce thematic albums. Bands would order their songs on an album according to the desired impact they wanted to have on the listener, or, to express an insider perspective inton what they were thinking as they wrote the album. Today, music is created by marketing...

Last edited:
I mean unless you're talking about the B side of Kate Bush "Hounds of Love" and then I might actually throw hands if you shuffle. Because that's a whole experience.

No, I'm just kidding. I'm not violent and me throwing hands would be an abject joke. But I might FEEL like throwing hands.
Not all albums are just a collection of random songs. Many albums were designed to be a musical experience in and of themselves.

The first that comes to my mind is Dark Side of the Moon but there are so many others like Pet Sounds or Ziggy Stardust , Sgt Pepper, Rubber Soul, Tommy,

There was a time in the 60s and 70s, when music was created by musicians. They were a unit working together as one. They wouod even produce thematic albums. Bands would order their songs on an album according to the desired impact they wanted to have on the listener, or, to express an insider perspective intonp what theg were thinking as they wrote the album. Today, music is created by marketing...
By marketing and machines

Not all albums are just a collection of random songs. Many albums were designed to be a musical experience in and of themselves.

The first that comes to my mind is Dark Side of the Moon but there are so many others like Pet Sounds or Ziggy Stardust , Sgt Pepper, Rubber Soul, Tommy,

Sure--I think it's more common of that era. But also, most modern albums are composed of songs--short, simple musical compositions with clear melodies, etc. That they are "one and done" is rather baked in--I mean they're even listed as tracks. Compare that to a symphony with a set form that hangs together.

Sure--I think it's more common of that era. But also, most modern albums are composed of songs--short, simple musical compositions with clear melodies, etc. That they are "one and done" is rather baked in--I mean they're even listed as tracks. Compare that to a symphony with a set form that hangs together.
This is why today's music mostly sucks.

The art is gone

By marketing and machines

Yes. Boy, isn't the "machines" a whole 'nother story though?

However, I have been teaching since the mid-90s and my students are absolutely fascinated by instruments. If they get to see some live, it's all over. It's like the most computer stuff they get, the more intrigued they are by the real (acoustic) stuff. So that's one bright spot, maybe? Maybe you've seen that too.

Yes. Boy, isn't the "machines" a whole 'nother story though?

However, I have been teaching since the mid-90s and my students are absolutely fascinated by instruments. If they get to see some live, it's all over. It's like the most computer stuff they get, the more intrigued they are by the real (acoustic) stuff. So that's one bright spot, maybe? Maybe you've seen that too.
Young kids love to make sounds on instruments.

I think the pendulum will swing back to when musicians were real artists and not just interchangeable props on a stage like they are now.

If you look around you can still find a few

The Tedeschi Trucks band is an old fashioned jam band and when they p[lay the interaction with the people is first and foremost. Personally I like when a band plays a song differently than the recording but too many young people today want to go to a concert and hear the song exactly as it is recorded

The only times I have listened to an album from beginning to end without interruption was probably the exact same times I fell asleep with music on. I have never done it otherwise that I recall.

Most of my favorite albums are by artists in the progressive rock genre. Pink Floyd, The who, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, ELP, Yes, Moody Blues, etc. You kind of have to listen to the whole album.

Not since the mid-70s.

I was too poor to afford buying music in the late 70s-80s what with raising a young family, mortgage, and such.

Keeping up my hunting, fishing, trapping gear was much more important as it helped fill the larder and put money in my pocket.

It was called priorities......I could really care less these days.

Forum List

Back