Oklahoma City Thunder Suspends Announcer After ‘Cotton-Picking’ Comment

While intent may inform the depth of a penalty, it does not necessarily inform the existence if one. If there is a behavior you wish to extinguish, then you must still negatively reinforce, regardless of intent.
^^^ The Regressive Left in full view ^^^

Watch every last damn thing you say, gang. Otherwise, there will be consequences.

After all, this is America.
Well , that certainly was a whiny non sequitur. Nowhere can it be inferred from my arguments that any and all behaviors or speech carries risk of penalty. You just employed a whiny appeal to emotion.

And my explanation of their reaction is not advocacy of it. If you throw a fit in light of a simple explanation (that contains no value judgments whatsoever), then it is YOU who is being the sensitive little sissy.

It is good to understand things, whether or not you agree with them. So, breathe into the paper bag for a while, settle down, and consider the idea that understanding both sides of something is good practice.
Ooh, I hit a nerve.

I think I'll just watch you continue to make my point for me.

While intent may inform the depth of a penalty, it does not necessarily inform the existence if one. If there is a behavior you wish to extinguish, then you must still negatively reinforce, regardless of intent.

Watch every last damn thing you say, gang. Otherwise, there will be consequences.

Well , that certainly was a whiny non sequitur. Nowhere can it be inferred from my arguments that any and all behaviors or speech carries risk of penalty. You just employed a whiny appeal to emotion.

And my explanation of their reaction is not advocacy of it. If you throw a fit in light of a simple explanation (that contains no value judgments whatsoever), then it is YOU who is being the sensitive little sissy.

It is good to understand things, whether or not you agree with them. So, breathe into the paper bag for a while, settle down, and consider the idea that understanding both sides of something is good practice.
Ooh, I hit a nerve.

You hit no nerves. And, even if you had, being an annoying twat by being dishonest is not something to be proud of.

My language here has been pretty clear and concise. And yet you whiners have had to make up other things to argue against. Should we now (and fairly) assume that you simply possess no good counterarguments? That's a shame.

What behavior are we talking about here?
Obviously....the uttering of a phrase that has origins of being demeaning to a whole swath of people who have been oppressed, historically, in the same spirit as the meaning of the phrase: as slaves and as subhumans. Come on man, you could have figured that out.

And it appears that this private organization does feel that uttering that phrase is a behavior to be extinguished . Probably a smart move, for a business whose consumers are so often black.
White privilege
Farmers Without Land: The Plight of White Tenant Farmers and Sharecroppers | Mississippi History Now
Dude, we all speak English, here. Go ahead and make your point, using English words. ;)
Why would any organization, group, government, try to extinguish a word that has become part of the common vernacular? It’s Orwellian to do so and sets on the wrong path. “Cotton picker” or “cotton picking “ has become synonymous with frustration.

Ironic in that Davis is reacting as a virtual slave to PC.
Yup, it is the same. A slave used to get a one-day suspension of pay for calling his owner a honkey.
Slaves didn't get paid. That's why they are slaves.

We are looking at the day when drug stores will have to sell cotton balls from under the counter. Or, call them Fluffy Round Things. Can't refer to them as white either.

Why would any organization, group, government, try to extinguish a word that has become part of the common vernacular?
Really? You really can't puzzle out an answer to this all by yourself?

Okay then...because they know it still does offend some people, and the business wants their consumer dollars.

Dude, come on...this is basic stuff.

Ooh, I hit a nerve.

You hit no nerves. And, even if you had, being an annoying twat by being dishonest is not something to be proud of.

My language here has been pretty clear and concise. And yet you whiners have had to make up other things to argue against. Should we now (and fairly) assume that you simply possess no good counterarguments? That's a shame.
Oh my, "little sissy", "twat", "whiners".

Thanks. I just toss the softballs up in the air, and you folks always knock 'em over the fence for me.

Yup, it is the same. A slave used to get a one-day suspension of pay for calling his owner a honkey.

We are looking at the day when drug stores will have to sell cotton balls from under the counter. Or, call them Fluffy Round Things. Can't refer to them as white either.
And it is because of bigots like you that we still have to have active, vocal efforts to squash things even perceived to be racist.

So, the next time the urge grabs you to whine like a little bitch about racist PC and advocacy for minorities and other protected groups, maybe you should find a mirror and lecture yourself. Give yourself the credit you deserve!

Why would any organization, group, government, try to extinguish a word that has become part of the common vernacular?

Okay then...because they know it still does offend some people, and the business wants their consumer dollars.

How on the fuck can it offend ANYONE! Please...anyone on the Board chime in and tell us about your day picking cotton in Mississippi last week? It’s 2018. Hello.

And it is because of bigots like you that we still have to have active, vocal efforts to squash things even perceived to be racist.

So, the next time the urge grabs you to whine like a little bitch about racist PC and advocacy for minorities and other protected groups, maybe you should find a mirror and lecture yourself. Give yourself the credit you deserve!
Your an absolute communist.

Ooh, I hit a nerve.

Thanks. I just toss the softballs up in the air, and you folks always knock 'em over the fence for me.
I sense that you have expended your entire intellectual library on this topic. And to think, the only response you were able to muster is to argue against a little strawman of your own design. Not exactly up to snuff, for a grown man.

How on the fuck can it offend ANYONE! Please...anyone on the Board chime in and tell us about your day picking cotton in Mississippi last week? It’s 2018. Hello.
They're not offended. They're just doing what they do.

Ooh, I hit a nerve.

I sense that you have expended your entire intellectual library on this topic. And to think, the only response you were able to muster is to argue against a little strawman of your own design. Not exactly up to snuff, for a grown man.
Tissue?

Only neo-fascists are crying and in need of a tissue because they are offended that the announcer accepted the punishment and admitted he had been insensitive.

What the far right thinks means nothing in the long run.

That was a freakish thing to say.

Now listen up, ya crybaby:

Every word of what I said can be 100% accurate, and yet still I could feel as though this penalty was too severe.

You see, one can understand something and still not agree with it or like it. Most of us learn that when we are teenagers. But this lifeskill appears to be in short supply here at the white wing internet dumping ground.

Every word of what I said can be 100% accurate, and yet still I could feel as though this penalty was too severe.

You see, one can understand something and still not agree with it or like it. Most of us learn that when we are teenagers. But this lifeskill appears to be in short supply here at the white wing internet dumping ground.
We got ya Trotsky...2+2=5 that’s the country you want.

In the modern...
Definition of COTTON-PICKING

How on the fuck can it offend ANYONE!
Really? Again...you really can't puzzle this out for yourself? Damn dude, you are really asking me to spoon-feed you. Okay, fine.

You see, there are still people alive today who experienced, first hand, the vile racism of just a few decades ago. When someone said this phrase about them or one of their peers, it was not a vernacular"toss off". It carried the same weight as the word "******". It carried the same intent and meaning as the phrase, "uppity ******", which was to refer to a subhuman black with the audacity to act like a normal human being. It's intent and meaning was purely racist.

Now, as it turns out, these people had children and grandchildren, and they passed their first hand accounts to them. Also, as it turns out, some people do read history books and understand that we simply are not that far removed from open, normalized racism in this country.

My friend's mother is 83. She was forced to use different facilities , to sit at the back of the vbus. She was even assaulted physically for DARING to make eye contact with a white boy.

So, while you parade around with your abject ignorance and apathy of the experiences of others, it has no bearing on the reality in this country and which was experienced by so many people, even many still alive today.

So, you angry little McCarthy wannabe....you might do yourself a service to try to understand the experiences of people beyond your own front porch and postage stamp sized world view.

Forum List

Back