Oklahoma City Thunder Suspends Announcer After ‘Cotton-Picking’ Comment

It amazing (and by amazing I mean pathetic) how these PC liberals allow a simple word to control and consume their emotions.

I have read the OP's link very carefully.

I feel that Mr. Davis, the announcer, was very mature and professional in acknowledging that his use of that phrase was "insensitive."

And a one-game suspension seemed to be fair.

This is 2018.

This country is very much divided and apparently becoming more divided every day when it comes to ethnicity, religion, gender, etc.

We all have to be super careful not to unintentionally hurt the feelings of other groups.

A few years ago, two announcers were criticized for referring to an American athlete as an "Oriental." They claimed that they did not know that the word was now considered offensive. One of the last acts of the Obama administration was to forbid the word "Oriental" to be used in government documents.

I've never associated that phrase with racism.
I haven't either. I believe that it was a white band in country music who once said, "We all picked the cotton, but we never got rich." That lyric of course is from Alabama's "Song Of The South".

Remember this
https://nypost.com/2017/09/18/woman-freaks-out-over-hobby-lobbys-raw-cotton-display/

The left is insane. How long before the left bans all cotton, no clothing, no sheets, towels, nothing not even paper.
Probably any time now, but since when do they have any real authority over the rest of us? If they don't want anything to do with certain things, I don't believe that they are being forced to.

God bless you two always!!!

Holly

I feel that Mr. Davis, the announcer, was very mature and professional in acknowledging that his use of that phrase was "insensitive."

I don't think it was fair at all, even if Davis thinks it was.

This country is very much divided and apparently becoming more divided every day when it comes to ethnicity, religion, gender, etc.

We all have to be super careful not to unintentionally hurt the feelings of other groups.

If a word or phrase was not intended to offend then there's no cause for hurt feelings. If we are offended by something someone says, we are not offended by the mere utterance of the word, we are offended by the malicious intent behind it. In this particular case, Davis' use of the phrase had nothing to do with race or slavery. So why would anyone take it that way?

This is 2018.

A few years ago, two announcers were criticized for referring to an American athlete as an "Oriental." They claimed that they did not know that the word was now considered offensive. One of the last acts of the Obama administration was to forbid the word "Oriental" to be used in government documents.
..no--he's a wimpy girly man for not standing up for what is right/fair/common sense
..it wasn't insensitive .....good thing we didn't have people like you and him around in Dec 1941 ...you would cry for the Japanese

This is 2018.

..no--he's a wimpy girly man for not standing up for what is right/fair/common sense
..it wasn't insensitive .....good thing we didn't have people like you and him around in Dec 1941 ...you would cry for the Japanese

:rofl:

The stalinist alt right are just too funny.

No, dudes, we don't live in the 1950s, and the term in the context of the NBA in 2018 is insensitive.

I don't care if you are mad.

Forum List

Back