Oil Sands Boom Dries Up in Alberta, Taking Thousands of Jobs With it

Name them. Be specific and quote the IRS tax code.

Energy Experts Debunk Right-Wing Defense Of Oil Subsidies

President Obama Proposed Repealing $4 Billion In Annual Tax Subsidies For Oil And Gas Companies. From an Associated Press summary of President Obama's proposed budget for fiscal year 2013:

Obama would repeal more than $4 billion per year in tax subsidies to oil, gas and other fossil fuel producers. The budget proposal says the plan "eliminates inefficient fossil fuel subsidies that impede investment in clean energy sources and undermine efforts to address the threat of climate change.''

Energy Expert: "The Incremental Change In Production That Might Result From Changing Oil Subsidies Will Have No Impact On World Oil Prices." According to Severin Borenstein, co-director of U.C. Berkeley's Center for the Study of Energy Markets, cutting subsidies for oil companies "would not affect gasoline prices."

Right-Wing Media Falsely Claim That Cutting Tax Breaks For Oil Companies Will Boost Gas Prices

Oil Industry Analyst: Impact Would Be Negligible

Tom Kloza, an oil industry analyst and founder of the Oil Price Information Service, agreed that the impact would be negligible. "It is a small amount of money considering the huge sums flowing in and out of oil futures," he said, referring to the commodity markets.

Playing Politics with Gasoline Prices

Former API Economist: Ending Oil Subsidies Would Have "Very Little" Effect On Gasoline Prices

Says the oil industry subsidies that President Barack Obama is attacking don’t exist
Bill Johnson on Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 in a news conference

rulings%2Ftom-false.gif

The nonpartisan taxpayer watchdog group Taxpayers for Common Sense estimates the U.S. tax code currently contains about $5 billion in yearly tax breaks that are exclusive to the oil and gas industry, and says the industry also benefits from an extra $5.5 billion worth of general business tax provisions that companies in other industries also claim.

"The oil and gas industry often argues the tax breaks they take advantage of are available to every industry," the group’s vice president, Steve Ellis, said in an email. "But obviously other industries can’t realistically claim the Intangible Drilling Costs tax credit (created in 1918) or the Expensing of Tertiary Injectants tax credit or the Volumetric Ethanol Excise Tax Credit for blending ethanol into fuel."

...While use of the word "subsidy" to describe tax credits for the energy industry seems most popular among Democrats, plenty of Republicans have used that phrasing, too.

...A March 2012 Congressional Budget Office report on federal financial support for energy development and production also refers to energy tax preferences as "subsidies."

Bill Johnson says subsidies for the oil companies that Barack Obama has attacked don't exist
Is your name Synthaholic? Fuck off.
Really, is 20 seconds of your time worth more than my 38 years in this industry? :dunno:

The Solar Industry Created More Jobs In 2014 Than Oil And Gas Extraction

solar-jobs-638x534.jpg

solar2.jpg

Canada’s green energy sector has grown so quickly and has become such an important part of the economy that it now employs more people than the oil sands.

Green energy sector jobs surpass total oil sands employment - The Globe and Mail

The solar industry created more jobs than the oil industry in 2014 because oil fell from $110 to $40.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand this.

Of course, more jobs were created in the oil industry from 2005 to 2014 than almost all industries in the country. I don't see the liberals pointing this out.

Having said that, I think solar is coming in a big way. And that's ultimately good for America.

President Obama Proposed Repealing $4 Billion In Annual Tax Subsidies For Oil And Gas Companies. From an Associated Press summary of President Obama's proposed budget for fiscal year 2013:

Obama would repeal more than $4 billion per year in tax subsidies to oil, gas and other fossil fuel producers. The budget proposal says the plan "eliminates inefficient fossil fuel subsidies that impede investment in clean energy sources and undermine efforts to address the threat of climate change.''

Energy Expert: "The Incremental Change In Production That Might Result From Changing Oil Subsidies Will Have No Impact On World Oil Prices." According to Severin Borenstein, co-director of U.C. Berkeley's Center for the Study of Energy Markets, cutting subsidies for oil companies "would not affect gasoline prices."

Right-Wing Media Falsely Claim That Cutting Tax Breaks For Oil Companies Will Boost Gas Prices

Tom Kloza, an oil industry analyst and founder of the Oil Price Information Service, agreed that the impact would be negligible. "It is a small amount of money considering the huge sums flowing in and out of oil futures," he said, referring to the commodity markets.

Former API Economist: Ending Oil Subsidies Would Have "Very Little" Effect On Gasoline Prices

Says the oil industry subsidies that President Barack Obama is attacking don’t exist

rulings%2Ftom-false.gif

The nonpartisan taxpayer watchdog group Taxpayers for Common Sense estimates the U.S. tax code currently contains about $5 billion in yearly tax breaks that are exclusive to the oil and gas industry, and says the industry also benefits from an extra $5.5 billion worth of general business tax provisions that companies in other industries also claim.

"The oil and gas industry often argues the tax breaks they take advantage of are available to every industry," the group’s vice president, Steve Ellis, said in an email. "But obviously other industries can’t realistically claim the Intangible Drilling Costs tax credit (created in 1918) or the Expensing of Tertiary Injectants tax credit or the Volumetric Ethanol Excise Tax Credit for blending ethanol into fuel."

...While use of the word "subsidy" to describe tax credits for the energy industry seems most popular among Democrats, plenty of Republicans have used that phrasing, too.

...A March 2012 Congressional Budget Office report on federal financial support for energy development and production also refers to energy tax preferences as "subsidies."

Bill Johnson says subsidies for the oil companies that Barack Obama has attacked don't exist
Really, is 20 seconds of your time worth more than my 38 years in this industry? :dunno:

solar-jobs-638x534.jpg

solar2.jpg

Canada’s green energy sector has grown so quickly and has become such an important part of the economy that it now employs more people than the oil sands.

Green energy sector jobs surpass total oil sands employment - The Globe and Mail

The solar industry created more jobs than the oil industry in 2014 because oil fell from $110 to $40.

Of course, more jobs were created in the oil industry from 2005 to 2014 than almost all industries in the country. I don't see the liberals pointing this out.

Having said that, I think solar is coming in a big way. And that's ultimately good for America.

2005-2015? You mean 2005-2010 when we had a NET ZERO private sector jobs growth? Wow. Hard to top that right?

Got a source for your numbers Bubs?

Oil and gas extraction
NAICS Code: 211
Data Type: ALL EMPLOYEES, THOUSANDS

JAN 2005 124,100
Dec 2014 (peak) 201,200

75,000 jobs in 9 years huh?

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

latest_numbers_CES1021100001_2005_2015_all_period_M09_data.gif

"in 2012 alone the clean energy sector created 110,413 jobs"

http://www.nacubo.org/Documents/BusinessPolicyAreas/FactSheetGreenJobs061113.pdf

Power sector employment declines, except for renewable electricity generators

main.png

Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages
Note: 2014 data are preliminary.
The electric power generation sector lost more than 5,800 jobs from January 2011 through June 2014 despite a gain of nearly 1,800 non-hydro renewable electricity generation jobs, according to the latest data available from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).

Power sector employment declines, except for renewable electricity generators - Today in Energy - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Take the $4B in subsidies that we lavish on mega-successful oil companies and use it to ease the suffering of laid-off oil employees until they can find respectable employment.

rulings%2Ftom-false.gif

Huh? I just logged in. Been watching our next president on the CNN debate.

rulings%2Ftom-false.gif

Ahhh... shaddap. :slap:

rulings%2Ftom-false.gif

You didn't even ask me which one!

And you are... ?

You bailed on this thread way back when your mouthpiece minions piped up. :lol:

I laughed in the OP because it means that KeystoneXL is even less likely to get built. And that is good for America, since we would have to suffer any leaks, not the Canadians.

And you are... ?

You bailed on this thread way back when your mouthpiece minions piped up. :lol:
No, I think I went to bed. Although, I'm not too proud to get a little help from my friends, Ringo.

I laughed in the OP because it means that KeystoneXL is even less likely to get built. And that is good for America, since we would have to suffer any leaks, not the Canadians.
You insufferable mental delinquent. :slap:
Well, we've seen that the oil industry doesn't place any importance, and certainly not any money, into workable plans in case of an accident. They just don't give a shit about a) any Americans who may live there, b) the environment that they have fouled, and c) the American taxpayer who ends up footing the bill in so many ways.

So why would I want to enable them even more for the sake of a few jobs? Let those workers learn how to install solar panels instead.

You insufferable mental delinquent. :slap:
Well, we've seen that the oil industry doesn't place any importance, and certainly not any money, into workable plans in case of an accident. They just don't give a shit about a) any Americans who may live there, b) the environment that they have fouled, and c) the American taxpayer who ends up footing the bill in so many ways.

So why would I want to enable them even more for the sake of a few jobs? Let those workers learn how to install solar panels instead.
You're a fucking mental midget. A stooge for the Left. And an enviro-Nazi who has no fucking clue of the real world.

No it doesn't.

What makes it less likely is American politics.

The product that is coming out of the ground already contracted to XL will be moved by pipeline across Canada, then shipped down the eastern seaboard, around the straight of Florida, and up into the Gulf and refined in Louisiana if XL fails.

Therefore, your state is now at risk whereas it wasn't before with XL.

solar-jobs-638x534.jpg

solar2.jpg

2005-2015? You mean 2005-2010 when we had a NET ZERO private sector jobs growth? Wow. Hard to top that right?

Got a source for your numbers Bubs?

Oil and gas extraction
NAICS Code: 211
Data Type: ALL EMPLOYEES, THOUSANDS

JAN 2005 124,100
Dec 2014 (peak) 201,200

75,000 jobs in 9 years huh?

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

latest_numbers_CES1021100001_2005_2015_all_period_M09_data.gif

"in 2012 alone the clean energy sector created 110,413 jobs"

http://www.nacubo.org/Documents/BusinessPolicyAreas/FactSheetGreenJobs061113.pdf

Power sector employment declines, except for renewable electricity generators

main.png

Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages
Note: 2014 data are preliminary.
The electric power generation sector lost more than 5,800 jobs from January 2011 through June 2014 despite a gain of nearly 1,800 non-hydro renewable electricity generation jobs, according to the latest data available from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).

Power sector employment declines, except for renewable electricity generators - Today in Energy - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Sure thing, derp2three.

Since you have demonstrated zero understanding of economics in the past, it's no surprise you are doing so now. You only included extraction.

About half of the workers employed in crude oil and natural gas production are in the support category of oil and natural gas industry employment, and employment in this category accounted for the bulk of the increases seen in oil and gas industry employment. Combined, the three industry categories equal just one-half of one percent of total U.S. private sector employment.

Oil and gas industry employment growing much faster than total private sector employment - Today in Energy - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Extraction is only one part of the energy complex. Not surprising you don't know this.

C&P will only get you so far, poseur.

The product that is coming out of the ground already contracted to XL will be moved by pipeline across Canada, then shipped down the eastern seaboard, around the straight of Florida, and up into the Gulf and refined in Louisiana if XL fails.
That sounds expensive. Maybe too expensive to compete.

No it doesn't.

What makes it less likely is American politics.

Therefore, your state is now at risk whereas it wasn't before with XL.

What do you think about Notley's talk about wanting to see oil refined in Alberta? The Conservatives who just got booted out sold themselves and Albertans to the oil companies for decades. Maybe they should have invested some of the harvest in that industry. I lived in Alberta for ten years. They were all drunk on oil, thought they could ride that gravy train at least as long as they needed it. My saying was "When the oil runs out there won't be anybody left to turn out the lights" (I hated the place and most of the red-necked cowboy wanna-bes who lived there.) Oil will come back and the industry will do just fine in Alberta. They'll hold the NDP at ransom for low royalties just like they did the Conservatives. I hope the NDP will at least be a little smarter and try harder to diversify Alberta's economy and move it into the 21st century.

That sounds expensive. Maybe too expensive to compete.

My friends in Calgary tell me the difference between the XL pipeline and shipping it across Canada, down the eastern seaboard and into the Gulf is $2-$3 a barrel.

What do you think about Notley's talk about wanting to see oil refined in Alberta?

The problem is primarily economics. People have talked about it for decades. The reason why it hasn't happened is because it costs too much. Saskatchewan tried to subsidize refining with the Husky Oil Upgrader and it cost the province something like a billion dollars.

What do you think about Notley's talk about wanting to see oil refined in Alberta?

The problem is primarily economics. People have talked about it for decades. The reason why it hasn't happened is because it costs too much. Saskatchewan tried to subsidize refining with the Husky Oil Upgrader and it cost the province something like a billion dollars.

Since my post I've done a little googling and filled in a bit of my ignorance on the subject. Turns out we do upgrade and refine a much larger amount of our crude than I thought, here's a map of Canadian refineries and upgraders;

refinery-map.jpg

The capacity of these sites is comparatively low compared to what we produce but it still surprised me. A few facts;

Canada's proven reserves of 175 billion barrels of oil -- the vast majority of it trapped in the oil sands -- is the second-largest oil stash in the world, after Saudi Arabia's 267 billion.
One-third of Canada's oil sands bitumen stays in the country, and is refined into gasoline, heating oil and diesel.
Canada refined 300,000 cubic metres daily in 1980; in 2010, that number was slightly down, to 291,000, even though exports of oil had grown tenfold in that time.

And of course the environmental impact has to be factored in to any cost-benefit analysis. Most people want to get the most money in their pocket in the shortest amount of time. Especially Big Oil. They can tell us they are "Green" over and over but we know what green really motivates them. It's too bad we couldn't take the long view, even some kind of moratorium until the best way forward for everyone, especially our grandkids, could be figured out. But the lure of money...I was making good money when I worked in Calgary but a few years I still got that cheque in the mail, my "share" of Alberta's oil profits. Basically the Conservatives buy-off of any potential questioning of their oil strategy - you'd be surprised by how many people were bought off, or maybe you wouldn't. Anyway with the amount of reserves still in the ground it's going to be a long term problem, damn I wish we would take a while and find the right long term solutions. I don't think it's a simple dollars and cents equation. Here's a clip from a CBC article;

"A broader cost-benefit analysis, they argue, that includes measures such as job creation, engineering know-how, and other valuable economic spinoffs to industry shows that a refinery project has the potential to be a big win for the province in the long term. "I wouldn't for an instant say, 'Damn the torpedoes, build a new refinery, no matter what,'" says Jim Stanford, an economist with Unifor, the country's largest private sector union. "But I do think the assumption that the private market can make an accurate decision on this unfettered by government is fantasy. What's in Canadians' public interest, he says, isn't always the same as what's in the best interest of a company such as Exxon. For a company, wanting to put spare refining capacity in to good use is sensible. Whether it's in Canada's best economic interests to see oil sands bitumen refined on the Gulf Coast is another question."

My province (B.C.) is also talking about building refineries. In the north Kitimat might make sense, it could have the Port facilities and would require much shorter pipelines. The XL pipeline could be made obsolete. Lots of things to look at. Of course the prime mover of Governments and most of the people - instant gratification - means we won't take the time to do the best thing for the long term.

Why in the fuck would you find this amusing? :slap:
Because it is helping to save what little environment we have left.

I could give a fuck about Canadian oil jobs, just like BP Oil jobs in the Gulf after that royal fuck-up.

Why would I give a shit about people who have no emergency plans for something so monumentally important to American livelihoods, like fisherman, restaurants, etc.?

FUCK THEM.

Let the fucking Arabs pump the oil from their wasteland. Who gives a flying fuck if there is an oil spill in the Saudi desert?

Well ain't we just a miserable excuse for a human being.

The people who work in the oil industry are used to rises and falls (and the people new to it will learn about it soon enough). Sooner or later prices will go back up, and these trained people will be back to work. In the meantime I'm sure they can find other work, maybe not as well paying, but their skills remain, and when the boom comes back, they can get back to making $$

rulings%2Ftom-false.gif

solar-jobs-638x534.jpg

solar2.jpg

Do you even have the ability to have your own opinion, or are you just a cut and paste twatwaddle?

Forum List

Back