Oil may drop to $65 Dollars a barrell

Well it had better fall to $65 a barrel soon, or one hell of a lot of Mainers (myself included) are going to be mighty cold this winter.

You haven't been paying attention, switch to electric heat and cooling, why Kirk and others on this board are insisting electric will solve all our fuel problems.

So now that gas prices are falling, I guess oil companies are being generous? We all know that the rising prices were due to greed, right?

SCORE!

Also, a good bit of the saber rattling with Iran has cooled down.

Given that I failed to understand what caused the tremendous spike in prices (which is still us by the way, only it has dropped from its incredible high) I'll have to take your word for it that saber rattling caused that 100% increase in the price of oil.

Let's just say I am somewhat dubious that sber rattling is the entire explanation, although I do not doubt it might have been some of the explanation.

from your mouth to God's ears! amen! :)

btw, the drop in price was predicted to happen when the "Green Movement" had legs...and the green movement has just begun walking, thus the oil industry has dropped price to slow that movement DOWN....

i read this years ago, that this would happen...so to fight off the green movement's progress and keep us ADDICTED TO OIL....kinda of like Addicted to Love.... :)

So I don't see this as any kind of move other than trying to keep the Oil Industry profitable in the LONG TERM.....sure they may make less in their profit PERCENTAGE for the short tem, but this can and will generate MORE profit dollars than what they would get if the Green movement, really took off and worked, in weaning us off of oil....

My heart does not bleed for the oil industry...they know precisely what they are doing...and their focus on profits long and short term, is what they are focusing on now....and the key to this for them, is to keep us on the oil tit....

care

from your mouth to God's ears! amen! :)

btw, the drop in price was predicted to happen when the "Green Movement" had legs...and the green movement has just begun walking, thus the oil industry has dropped price to slow that movement DOWN....

i read this years ago, that this would happen...so to fight off the green movement's progress and keep us ADDICTED TO OIL....kinda of like Addicted to Love.... :)

So I don't see this as any kind of move other than trying to keep the Oil Industry profitable in the LONG TERM.....sure they may make less in their profit PERCENTAGE for the short tem, but this can and will generate MORE profit dollars than what they would get if the Green movement, really took off and worked, in weaning us off of oil....

My heart does not bleed for the oil industry...they know precisely what they are doing...and their focus on profits long and short term, is what they are focusing on now....and the key to this for them, is to keep us on the oil tit....

care

I assume the green movement will continue since oil is finite ? I don't see where cheap oil should interrupt any attempt to continue developing of green energy.

I assume the green movement will continue since oil is finite ? I don't see where cheap oil should interrupt any attempt to continue developing of green energy.

NEVER said it would stop....

said it was meant to SLOW it down, and keep us on the Oil tit longer...

Oil is dropping now, but it may not be such a good thing. Because the main reason Oil is dropping is because Economies around the world are slowing.

This is also true of the recent gains of the US dollar. On face value it seems like a good thing, but it is only happening because of faltering Economies in Europe and Elsewhere are making the Dollar a more attractive investment again.

You are right. Bush had nothing to do with falling oil prices.

Talk about a fantasy.

Supply and demand sets prices. The American people have awoken from their slumber and started driving less and buying small cars.

Americans drove 8 BILLION fewer miles last month.

We are the power, not Bush and his oil company butt buddies.

Kumbaya... We are the power...

hippies.jpg

:rolleyes:

Get off your liberal myths and into truth....

What idiotic nonsense...

We did not conserve any amount of energy needed to drastically cut the price of oil...

Liberal idiot

drastically? no. marginally? yes

the dollar is also rising because it was artificially low compared to the euro (at least according to the bigmac index).

Oil is dropping now, but it may not be such a good thing. Because the main reason Oil is dropping is because Economies around the world are slowing.

This is also true of the recent gains of the US dollar. On face value it seems like a good thing, but it is only happening because of faltering Economies in Europe and Elsewhere are making the Dollar a more attractive investment again.

Yup, I think you are correct in thinking that, Charles.

The economy is kinda of like one of those long balloons.

You can squeeze it into nearly any shape if you apply pressure, but no matter what you do that applied pressure is going pop up someplace else.

That's why some people think that economies are somewhat self-correcting, too.

Excesses in one way or the other get corrected almost organically as the economy responds to the changes.

Put too much money into the system, and inflation happens someplace (depending on who gets the money) in some other part of the economy.

The trick is to not be part of the solution, because usually the solution economies take involves somebody suffering during that correcting process.

I believe that oil will continue to drop the rest of this year, barring a major hurricane that disrupts production or some type of new major conflict in the middle east. Oil prices will be around $80 to 85 by the end of the fall. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be drilling more here at home or trying to develop sensible alternatives. Oil prices will make a major comeback, so we don't need to let the lower oil prices deter us from long term goals of gaining our independence of oil.

We will never develop energy independence as long as the Republicans are in charge. They will continue to keep us on oil and make fun of energy conservation and alternative energy.

We will never develop energy independence as long as the Republicans are in charge. They will continue to keep us on oil and make fun of energy conservation and alternative energy.

Sure, blind partisan, something you have stated you support over and over in different threads. But it was the Republicans who introduced the bill, so therefore you can't support it. All because Pelosi says she wants to save the planet...
John Boehner - 8th District of Ohio
House Republicans have introduced a comprehensive energy reform bill we call the American Energy Act. The American Energy Act calls for “all of the above” when it comes to the reforms needed to lower gas prices and liberate America from its dependence on foreign oil: more conservation, more alternative and renewable energy, and more production of American-made energy. It would accelerate the development and implementation of clean, renewable fuels; create new incentives for conservation and development of alternative energy sources; and lift the government ban on drilling in the frozen North Slope of Alaska and deepwater ocean energy zones far off the U.S. coast. We need to make use of these untapped American resources for affordable energy in the short-term as we work to develop and implement new, cleaner energy sources for the 21st Century.

Forum List

Back