Official German police announcements over co-pilot Andreas Lubitz

The facts we know, and what really matters.

1) He is a mass murderer.
2) He is obviously mentally unstable.

What really matters...
1) How was the pilot locked out? How is it possible that the pilot of the airplane does NOT HAVE A KEY??? Does the lock mechanism not have a key, or ability to be unlocked? How sane is this?
2) Was he under a doctors care for serious mental issues? And how in the hell does privacy laws exist where a doctor, who knows of serious psychotic issues with a person cannot, by law, inform authorities if the person's job puts him in a position to care for hundreds of other people. That is f*cking insane.
I think the doors are combination locks, and the code can be changed from the inside, as a precaution against a terrorist forcing a pilot to open the door from the outside.

Wuff can't be wrong, either.

What really matters...
1) How was the pilot locked out? How is it possible that the pilot of the airplane does NOT HAVE A KEY??? Does the lock mechanism not have a key, or ability to be unlocked? How sane is this?
2) Was he under a doctors care for serious mental issues? And how in the hell does privacy laws exist where a doctor, who knows of serious psychotic issues with a person cannot, by law, inform authorities if the person's job puts him in a position to care for hundreds of other people. That is f*cking insane.

No 1 has already been explained:

Pilots AND cabin crew have the code to unlock the cockpit. Only, a person inside the cockpit can lock that code out for a time period of 5 minutes, ergo, Lubitz locked out the attempt to give a code at least twice.

That will teach me to one hand type while having morning chat with my GF.

You beat me to it.

What really matters...
I think the doors are combination locks, and the code can be changed from the inside, as a precaution against a terrorist forcing a pilot to open the door from the outside.

Wuff can't be wrong, either.

I am told that the airlines assign new codes all the time and program them in before a flight, but this extra precaution in the cockpit would be to keep a terrorist holding a co-pilot or a stewardess at gunpoint from being able to enter the cockpit. When a code is given, there is a 7-10 second wait time (depending on make and model) and in that time, the person inside the cockpit can flip a switch that negates the code for 5 minutes.

What really matters...

Pilots AND cabin crew have the code to unlock the cockpit. Only, a person inside the cockpit can lock that code out for a time period of 5 minutes, ergo, Lubitz locked out the attempt to give a code at least twice.

That will teach me to one hand type while having morning chat with my GF.

You beat me to it.

:lol:

I think that is a very bad policy.
I would think the pilot of the airplane would have an override ability.
Dumb.

i think you're being too kind to them. I understand they're fearful. I understand that fear can be irrational. but i don't think that gives them the right to make up things out of air...
Libs do it all day long every day. Mention gun to a liberal and they make shit up and start the fear mongering.

Back on topic, sounds like his fiance recently dumped him so I think he decided to throw the ultimate temper tantrum.

Dumb.

You mean a pilot outside of the cockpit?

Hmmm, for this very reason, they have that system, to keep a terrorist from forcing a pilot or co-pilot from entering the code. The negation of such a code from the inside would be the method of last resort. Apparently, no one ever thought that a co-pilot might want to use the "negate" method to commit suicide/multiple homocide.

Furthermore - we certainly have the technology to prevent anyone but the pilot to pilot the plane.

Dumb.

Hmmm, for this very reason, they have that system, to keep a terrorist from forcing a pilot or co-pilot from entering the code. The negation of such a code from the inside would be the method of last resort. Apparently, no one ever thought that a co-pilot might want to use the "negate" method to commit suicide/multiple homocide.

No, I mean that the pilot, or as we call them in America - the Captain, is the only person who has an overide.
Or that crew members could contact the airline and they could overide the code from within. Without this, a terrorist once in the cockpit can easily prevent anyone else from getting in. That is not a great thing.
As well as we certainly, and easily have the technology to prevent someone from taking controls that is not the pilot. For instance a crew member contacts the airline, and the airline can lock the controls and instruct the plane to maintain a desired height. A terrorist takes over, but the controls lock him out.

Furthermore - we certainly have the technology to prevent anyone but the pilot to pilot the plane.

Dumb.

No, I mean that the pilot, or as we call them in America - the Captain, is the only person who has an overide.
Or that crew members could contact the airline and they could overide the code from within. Without this, a terrorist once in the cockpit can easily prevent anyone else from getting in. That is not a great thing.
As well as we certainly, and easily have the technology to prevent someone from taking controls that is not the pilot. For instance a crew member contacts the airline, and the airline can lock the controls and instruct the plane to maintain a desired height. A terrorist takes over, but the controls lock him out.

Oh, I think that your idea is essentially a good one. But according to FAA regs and also European aviation regs, only registered and licensed pilots can transmit, and the main booster in order to sent the signal is usually on top of the cockpit, if memory serves.

This incident may cause a number of lawmakers and airplane architects to re-think some things.

For instance, in the big birds, there is often a crawl-space ABOVE the cockpit. An emergency door could be installed there. Or, although this would rob the plane of some space, built a lavatory into the cockpit.

There are some methods of getting around this problem, I would think.

Dumb.

Oh, I think that your idea is essentially a good one. But according to FAA regs and also European aviation regs, only registered and licensed pilots can transmit, and the main booster in order to sent the signal is usually on top of the cockpit, if memory serves.

This incident may cause a number of lawmakers and airplane architects to re-think some things.

For instance, in the big birds, there is often a crawl-space ABOVE the cockpit. An emergency door could be installed there. Or, although this would rob the plane of some space, built a lavatory into the cockpit.

Something certainly needs done. And if the airlines cannot afford to make changes, then the home government should pay the cost. I would gladly support our tax dollars going to make planes safer than propping up Wall Street. But that is another story.
There should be a mechanism where the airplane can be "controlled" from outside the plane, if nothing else but to maintain an altitude while locking out controls.

Thank you for this. Our lunatic fringe seems to have already decided he was a member of ISIS on a mission.

But that's what makes them the lunatic fringe.
Perhaps you would care to comment on the fact that Obama is hell bent on destroying Israel? And that you continue to support him.

Something certainly needs done. And if the airlines cannot afford to make changes, then the home government should pay the cost. I would gladly support our tax dollars going to make planes safer than propping up Wall Street. But that is another story.
There should be a mechanism where the airplane can be "controlled" from outside the plane, if nothing else but to maintain an altitude while locking out controls.
I believe the US two person minimum in the cockpit is the best answer for now.

Sorry bout that,

Dumb.

1. Of course its my idea to put a lavatory in the cock pit.
2. And on the next post iamwhatiseem claims he thought of being able to control the plane from the ground and unlock doors from the ground with an over ride code.
3. Carry on with this bullshit thread, know one murders 149 people because they were jilted by a pretty women.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

guess that all the air travelers are going to be concerned ehh !! Me , I just won't fly , I prefer driving anyway .

Thank you for this. Our lunatic fringe seems to have already decided he was a member of ISIS on a mission.

But that's what makes them the lunatic fringe.
Perhaps you would care to comment on the fact that Obama is hell bent on destroying Israel? And that you continue to support him.

Well, that was quite a non-sequitor.

Maybe you could want to read the OP again...

Dumb.

Let's face it.

Nothing can stop a person intent on murder or suicide, if they are dedicated.

Apparently this guy was just waiting for the right moment.

Had he been confined to his apartment, he could have just turned on the gas and blown up the whole building.

Where there's a will, there is always a way.

Just the way it is.

put the lavatory in the cockpit or make it 3 person in the cockpit in case one pilot needs to walk away from the cockpit .

Dumb.

Let's face it.

Nothing can stop a person intent on murder or suicide, if they are dedicated.

Apparently this guy was just waiting for the right moment.

Had he been confined to his apartment, he could have just turned on the gas and blown up the whole building.

Where there's a will, there is always a way.

Just the way it is.

Indeed. I can't disagree with you about that, but we can learn from incidents like these.

Forum List

Back