Official 2010 Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Andrew2382, Feb 3, 2010.

1. elvis

elvis Rookie Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,305
    Edgar Diarrhea?

2. FRAGO 242

FRAGO 242 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4
    no, Gonorrhea.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Truthspeaker

Truthspeaker Αλήθεια η&

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Well Renteria was worthless for us all year too until he summoned the demons of youth for the world series. I think he'll retire now. It's not gonna get any better than this for him.

Yankees Giants would be awesome because of the history. I wanted the Yankees to come back and beat the rangers but it didn't happen. shucks. they woulda went down too.

4. Truthspeaker

Truthspeaker Αλήθεια η&

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +122
    And Aubrey Huff was nothing short of "the man" this year. all I know about him was we got 26 jacks, and 86 rbi and clutch all year. All for just 3 million dollars.

5. Paulie

Paulie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,556
    You're gloating while simultaneously hoping for Jayson Werth?

I hope you bastards waste the same amount of money on him as you did Aaron Rowand :lol:

Word is, he wants Matt Holliday money.

Good Riddance.

6. Truthspeaker

Truthspeaker Αλήθεια η&

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Then if that's the case, the Giants will not overpay for Werth. they'll probably offer him in the realm of 8-10 million for 4 years. If he seeks more money, he's not gonna get it unless he goes to the Yankees or Red Sox. He's not that kind of player, especially outside Philly. If that's the case then good riddance before we ever get him. I think he's capable of hitting .300 30 homers and 100 rbi outside Philly, but I sure hope we don't pay him like a 50 homer guy. Adam Dunn is a real Possibility too.

7. Paulie

Paulie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,556
    Truth...

His agent is Scott Boras.

Werth WILL get the current market rate for his position and production, which is very similar to Holliday's, who is also a Scott Boras client.

Werth and Holliday are very similar in production, and I would argue that Werth even has some tools that Holliday doesn't.

Holliday got 7/120. 17 mil a year.

Werth will get no less than 15 a year.

If he does, I'll come in here and proclaim that I don't know jack shit about baseball.

8. Truthspeaker

Truthspeaker Αλήθεια η&

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +122
    that's ridiculous. I think Holliday got that contract in anticipation that his numbers would be similar to his numbers in colorado, in the ballpark of .330 40 homers, 120 rbis. Holliday is not getting paid "market value". He's over paid. Just like Barry Zito is not getting paid market value.

I don't think it's impossible with Scott Boras as his agent but I don't think he can command more than 10 million a year. He's just not that good.

Plus the Giants have been burned by Boras before so they will not overpay for Werth that's for damn sure. So maybe it's less likely than I thought that he will become a Giant. Who I'd rather have is Paul Konerko. That's intriguing.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  9. Paulie

Paulie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,556
    This isn't how things work in the MLB.

Market value is not subjective. It's directly related to your peers. Peers being those who perform around the same as you do.

If someone with similar numbers gets a contract for 120 million, that's now the new precedent at that moment. If your numbers are around the same, and ESPECIALLY if you have the same agent that got that original 120 for the first guy, then you are now considered to have that same market value.

Boras can, and WILL, land Werth a contract very similar to Holliday's. That's what he does.

And how can one expect Holliday to produce the same as he did in Colorado's band box?

It's interesting you mention Konerko too, because Rowand's contract was just about the same as Konerko's except for the way it was broken down.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  10. Truthspeaker

Truthspeaker Αλήθεια η&

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +122
    We'll see. you could be right. But we won't make the same mistake we made with rowand and zito. I could forsee a maximum 3 year deal with Konerko because of his age. To the tune of 9 or 10 million should suffice. But who knows anything