CDZ Oddly timed racist comments

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Toronado3800, Nov 19, 2017.

1. alang1216

alang1216 Pragmatist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +855
    Ideally true. In practice this has not always been the case. Remember slavery? Jim Crow? There are plenty of White Supremacists that would go back to those days if they could.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. oldsoul

oldsoul Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,157
    Doubt it. I hear stuff like that from time to time. I live in a pretty rural area that until the late '70's wouldn't hire women for certain jobs (took it away from a "family man", was the thinking then)... I would say it is more of a regional/generational thing. I rarely hear things like that from gen Xers, and I can't remember ever hearing it from a millennial. Seems to be a dieing breed (literally), at least around here.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    It is odd. I cant remember the last time that someone stated something overtly racist to me in any way. Most of the asinine racist crap I see these days is right here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  4. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,802
    Whatever he is thinking, it hasn't got anything to do with being sixty-ish. Racists come in all ages. I'm in his age range and I don't think like that and neither does anyone I've ever conversed with. If anything, if an older person felt the term 'hanging out' didn't refer to himself, it would be because he thought it was something younger people did, has nothing to do with race.

5. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +590
    I hear racist crud from folks as young as 30 often enough. That's about the lower end of my social circle at this point. The teens I know through the nephews and nieces are a pretty mixed bunch and while they post ridiculous things online all seem to be giving each other good natured ribbing, but its not like we have deep conversations often.

6. Asclepias

Asclepias Work Hard Play Hard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,980
    They could be feeling you out. Nothing is more embarrassing for a white racist than being caught being racist around another white person that is not racist. I had a white girlfriend who routinely told me some of the things she would hear white people say about Black people before our relationship went public.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,234
    I have to ask: What constitutes an aptly timed racist comment? Is there truly a "right" time to say something that reflects one's racist leanings? Is there a secret password/passphrase that one should use to gain entry to the cave in which be held a KKK meeting? Maybe uttering such a word/phrase at that time would not constitute "odd timing?"

8. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,234
    Um...If one is confident that one's racist views and behavior are just, why would one be embarrassed about it? Chagrin is something one feels when one does, says or thinks something that one knows is wrong, yet one did it anyway. It doesn't make sense to be embarrassed if one is certain one is in the right.

9. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +590
    In a way that's funny.

If I was going to make a comment about a dumb Polish fellow, some NAZI like German, or a drunk Irishman I would think it was timely when I saw one acting accordingly. The situation would present itself eventually lol.

10. Asclepias

Asclepias Work Hard Play Hard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,980
    Its only embarrassing if they lose their job over it. I know the white guy that wouldnt hire me into 3rd level was embarrassed he got fired after it came out why he wouldnt hire me.