Ocasio-Cortez defends $40 trillion price tag for progressive proposals

'Progressive Democrat Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Sunday defended what could accrue to a $40 trillion price tag for progressive policy programs, including Medicare for all, over the next 10 years, citing the success in some European countries that have similarly developed health care models.

CNN "State of the Union" anchor Jake Tapper asked where that estimated $40 trillion -- which would include the costs for Medicare for all, jobs guarantees, student loan forgiveness, free college programs, paid family leave, and Social Security expansion -- would come from. Medicare for all would be the costliest initiative, coming in at about $32 trillion, according to the Mercatus Center, a free market-oriented think tank at George Mason University, as well as an earlier study by the Urban Institute's Health Policy Center.'

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez defends $40 trillion price tag for progressive proposals - CNNPolitics

Two thoughts.

1) Dang...she is good looking (especially for a politician) and seems to have her heart in the right place.

2) SHE IS OUT OF HER MIND on this.

$4 TRILLION per year for 10 years?!?

Now, I personally do not think Medicare will cost that much (about $10,000 per person? It only costs about $5,000 per person in Canada) - though it will still cost TONS. But I at least get that part. I personally am for full healthcare coverage for children. But it HAS to be two-tiered - full Medicare for the poor and private healthcare for everyone else.

But just the rest will add $800 billion to the budget every year.

There is no frigging way she will be able to raise that just through more taxes on the rich and higher corporate taxes...not without driving business out of America.

This is progressivism at it's worst...nice, pie-in-the-sky ideas but no remote ideas as to how to pay for them.

And in the above linked interview...she gave no clue WHATSOEVER of how she was going to pay for it (in remotely practical ways).
Let's end the drug war;

we really just need a fifteen dollar an hour minimum wage and unemployment compensation for being naturally unemployed in our at-will employment States, along with Industrial Automation to help with social costs.

I have heard worse ideas.

100% for ending the drug war.

I am against the $15 minimum wage...but it is inevitable and the poor need it. So...okay.

No idea what you mean by 'unemployment compensation for the naturally unemployed'.

Diverted, almost sounds like it was the government's money to spend already. Not.
Yes, it is. That is what the Power to Tax is,

to solve the problems of our Republic.

Any more problems, right wingers?

RW just finished saying it was money from employers and employees. Seems to be confusion on the liberal talking points. Better huddle up quick. Currency is actually a unit of labor productivity backed by whatever government is in place. Ask Venezuela how that works out.

'Progressive Democrat Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Sunday defended what could accrue to a $40 trillion price tag for progressive policy programs, including Medicare for all, over the next 10 years, citing the success in some European countries that have similarly developed health care models.

CNN "State of the Union" anchor Jake Tapper asked where that estimated $40 trillion -- which would include the costs for Medicare for all, jobs guarantees, student loan forgiveness, free college programs, paid family leave, and Social Security expansion -- would come from. Medicare for all would be the costliest initiative, coming in at about $32 trillion, according to the Mercatus Center, a free market-oriented think tank at George Mason University, as well as an earlier study by the Urban Institute's Health Policy Center.'

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez defends $40 trillion price tag for progressive proposals - CNNPolitics

Two thoughts.

1) Dang...she is good looking (especially for a politician) and seems to have her heart in the right place.

Now, I personally do not think Medicare will cost that much (about $10,000 per person? It only costs about $5,000 per person in Canada) - though it will still cost TONS. But I at least get that part. I personally am for full healthcare coverage for children. But it HAS to be two-tiered - full Medicare for the poor and private healthcare for everyone else.

There is no frigging way she will be able to raise that just through more taxes on the rich and higher corporate taxes...not without driving business out of America.

This is progressivism at it's worst...nice, pie-in-the-sky ideas but no remote ideas as to how to pay for them.

And in the above linked interview...she gave no clue WHATSOEVER of how she was going to pay for it (in remotely practical ways).
If you cared about spending, you’d be complaing about the hole Donald and his insane wingnut autocrats have blown in our budget.

Your crocodile tears and hypocrisy are duly noted.

with tax cut economics; only the already rich, get richer faster.

It seems to be creating some jobs. You know where you have to go to work? They pay you on a schedule after taxes....
government spending does that; tax cuts merely help the already rich, get a redistribution of income that favors capitalists of wealth under our form of capitalism.

and,

where gold has some influence in making the rules.

If you cared about spending, you’d be complaing about the hole Donald and his insane wingnut autocrats have blown in our budget.

Oh come on now, the Republicans had to practically tie down Democrats to even get a vote on a budget.

Two thoughts.

US Government Spends A Record $433 Billion In One Month As Deficit Explodes

You were saying?

:icon_rolleyes:

Next time you decide to throw insults around - I suggest you make sure they actually are accurate.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Diverted, almost sounds like it was the government's money to spend already. Not.
Yes, it is. That is what the Power to Tax is,

to solve the problems of our Republic.

Any more problems, right wingers?

RW just finished saying it was money from employers and employees. Seems to be confusion on the liberal talking points. Better huddle up quick. Currency is actually a unit of labor productivity backed by whatever government is in place. Ask Venezuela how that works out.
It is not a right to tax; it is a Power to Tax.

Hey! Dummies! Medicare is going broke now especially after democrats stole 960 billion to fund Obamacare! What makes you dumbasses think Medicare for all is going to get paid for especially in a country where only 50% of the people pay taxes and the other 50%leech?

Oh, they'll find a way to blame it on Trump. You can bet on that.

Two thoughts.

I got news for Alexandria-----it is not ONLY the RICH who pay taxes. I got more
news-----taxes paid by employers and mercantilists and all sorts of service persons get translated into HIGHER PRICES for every slob lying around waiting for more
perks

It is not a right to tax; it is a Power to Tax.

So you are saying the government has no right to tax?

That is a true statement. The power is limited by needing to be uniform, income taxes are currently not uniform, but graduated. The power to tax only works if it deemed fair by its citizens.

Forum List

Back