Obama's Syria Mistakes

Noitartst

Rookie
Dec 7, 2010
I could list many, but I'm curious as to what others think they were. To me, he is the poster child of obsessively avoiding one extreme (Iraq) but still getting blood on his hands, any how. Beyond that, he couldn't realize that by resisting Russia's 2012 overtures he was drifting towards a war he didn't have the conviction for, like a true dumbass.

He's alienated allies, just like Bush, and doesn't have the guts to admit we're now in a proxy war with Russia, and Iran. At least, in the Obama administration, there are a fair number of officials willing to admit the abject disaster of the mistakes made on their watch.

Power to that, at least.

I could list many, but I'm curious as to what others think they were. To me, he is the poster child of obsessively avoiding one extreme (Iraq) but still getting blood on his hands, any how. Beyond that, he couldn't realize that by resisting Russia's 2012 overtures he was drifting towards a war he didn't have the conviction for, like a true dumbass.

He's alienated allies, just like Bush, and doesn't have the guts to admit we're now in a proxy war with Russia, and Iran. At least, in the Obama administration, there are a fair number of officials willing to admit the abject disaster of the mistakes made on their watch.

Power to that, at least.
Beyond that, he couldn't realize that by resisting Russia's 2012 overtures he was drifting towards a war he didn't have the conviction for, like a true dumbass.

To which war does this refer?

first mistake, hiring Hilary
second mistake, looking east
third mistake, thinking he knew more than the generals
forth mistake, drawing any red lines if he was not going to hold firm to them

the better question is what he did not make a mistake on

What happened when he went to Congress for authorization to hold firm the red line?

Obama could pull completely out of Syria, and I don't think the most right winger, or war monger would care.
Letting the Russians be caught in the middle would be the perfect recipe.
It might even get the egg off his face from the Romney smattering

Power to that, at least.
Beyond that, he couldn't realize that by resisting Russia's 2012 overtures he was drifting towards a war he didn't have the conviction for, like a true dumbass.

To which war does this refer?
Obama could pull completely out of Syria, and I don't think the most right winger, or war monger would care.
Letting the Russians be caught in the middle would be the perfect recipe.
It might even get the egg off his face from the Romney smattering

Your apathy should be horrifying. It would be wrong to break our word--and our ideals, but most of all, your logic is appeasement, my friend.

I guess you think McCain a war monger, but he cares, and Syria hawks are not just from the right, on this--not anymore.

A growing number of foreign policy experts and intellectuals are speaking out, and in increasing numbers. Hillary may be a liberal, and I loath her on basically everything else, yet she cares, and I think she does for the same reasons I do. Obama was arrogant enough to say she was playing election politics, but given the Democratic base, given she's in the primaries, that just doesn't wash.

Independent-minded Joe Lieberman cares. Old man Zbigniew Brzezinski, cares, going so far as to advocate attacking the Russian navy. Niall Ferguson, formerly from TIME, cares.

Large members of Obama's staff--past and present--not just Hillary--care. Disbelieve? Look here:
Rift in Obama administration over Putin
Frederic Hof cares. Dennis Ross cares. The former Ambassador Ford to Syria, cares. Probably shouldn't mention Robert Gates, Obama's first defense secretary, given he's essentially a Republican, but the list of Syria hawks whose advice Obama has rejected rolls on.

Kerry, by pushing for a no-fly-zone still, cares. Heard an admiral the other day on NPR calling for a tougher stance on Russia. might've saved Eastern Ukraine, but it's too late for that, isn't it? Obama doesn't believe in containment, obviously, but it's not too late in other places beyond Ukraine--or what's left of it.

Why do so many near Obama keep saying he's got it wrong, despite how politically unpopular their advice currently is? I think you''d better listen to them, friend--I certainly am.

Faith in Obama's judgment should be utterly shattered. This summer, Obama said publicly that Russia was moving away from Assad--wrong. If that's not a token of postmodeern foolishness, I know not what is.

I could list many, but I'm curious as to what others think they were.
It's simple really. The mistake that Obama is making in Syria is in supporting terrorism. The United States is openly supporting terrorism in foreign lands and disturbingly....... with the apparent consent of the American people.

It's simple really. The mistake that Obama is making in Syria is in supporting terrorism. The United States is openly supporting terrorism in foreign lands and disturbingly....... with the apparent consent of the American people.

I have to agree ^^^^^

It's a sad day when a big majority of Americans (not all, of course) care more about transgender bathrooms and the Kardashians than Obama and this criminal Administration arming and fighting side by side with the terrorist ISIS.

Power to that, at least.

What makes you thinks it was a "Mistake"? Obama switched sides and did all he could to turn the ME over to his brothers in Jihad

Look who bought him: Khalid Monsour

"Syria has the potential to become America’s new Vietnam – so, as Barack Obama sends the first 50 special operations troops to Syria to engage the Islamic State, we must be wary of history repeating itself.

The original mistake with Syria, as with Vietnam, was for leaders in Washington to believe that civil wars and insurgencies taking place halfway around the world represent a critical national security interest. Back then, the illusory “domino theory” – the idea that if one nation went communist it would start a chain reaction leading all the other nations in the region to do the same – justified the decision to engage in a tiny nation that itself represented zero threat to the United States. A version of that logic is at work again."
Syria will be the next Vietnam-style war if Obama doesn't learn from history | Erik Goepner and A Trevor Thrall

Obama has committed a grave error against the United Sates, he ran for a second term

You should review what the administration thought, about Syria, and never said it was of vital stategic import. I never said we should get on the ground, in any large amount, and in fact thought we should have intervened in Syria in 2012 much like we did in Libya in 2011, and that was without a footprint. Had we done that, crisis would be long over now, and done with, instead of festering.

Deliberating is good, but stringing it out too long--disastrous.

Power to that, at least.
You call it "mistakes" - the rest of the world calls it CRIMES!

He was a liar, all the red lines he draws were not respected that means he is backing secretly the regime.
In the opposition training program, the fighters has left because they were asked by americans to not fight the regime in Syria.

obama-red-line-cartoon.jpg

131094_600.jpg

Power to that, at least.
What were Obama's mistakes? Please list them so we make sure Trump doesn't repeat them.

Fifth mistake, taking the troops out of Iraq prematurely as a political move,

Power to that, at least.
Obama had no good options. Bush and the GOP left the Middle East in shambles.
If, after 9/11, Bush had simply gone in and taken down Bin Laden and left that would have left a stable Middle East.

Instead, he attacked a country that did nothing to us. A country that was no threat. Bush and the GOP turned America into an invader and ruined our reputation. Bush and the GOP left a mess behind everything they touched. They gave Obama two unpaid for wars, with their tax cuts for the rich, they took away revenue sources, a shattered economy, a divided nation and the rest of the world saw us as a bigger threat than al Qaeda. That's what the GOP and Bush did.

They even went so low as to blackmail the president knowing the country needed the money.

Unemployment benefits: not until Bush tax cuts pass, Senate GOP says

And as awful as Bush and the GOP was, this new GOP and Trump are infinitely worse. In an economy as big as the US economy, it's all about momentum. Republicans and Trump are setting us up for an even bigger disaster than the debacle that was Bush.

He was a liar, all the red lines he draws were not respected that means he is backing secretly the regime.
In the opposition training program, the fighters has left because they were asked by americans to not fight the regime in Syria.

obama-red-line-cartoon.jpg

131094_600.jpg
Trump to Obama after Assad used chemical weapons:
"President Obama, do not attack Syria. There is no upside and tremendous downside. Save your 'powder' for another (and more important) day!" he tweeted then.

Trump last Sunday:
Trump on Sunday attacked Obama for failing to deal with Syria during his term in office, tweeting, "if President Obama had crossed his stated Red Line In The Sand, the Syrian disaster would have ended long ago!"

Trump sends mixed signals on Syria amid calls for action

Tillerson was right. That guy is a moron. And so are his ridiculous minions who to this day, know nothing about him.

I have to agree ^^^^^

It's a sad day when a big majority of Americans (not all, of course) care more about transgender bathrooms and the Kardashians than Obama and this criminal Administration arming and fighting side by side with the terrorist ISIS.
Liar.

An actual mistake would have been to stay as an occupying force after Iraq asked us to leave.

An actual mistake would have been to stay as an occupying force after Iraq asked us to leave.
In essence, Obama is the reason for the creation of ISIS, and the Assad genocide of his 600,000 own people. And yet, you Libtards are the ones who voted for Hillary who was Obama's Secretary of State.

Forum List

Back