Obama's student loans paid off 2004

And when you have to twist the truth to make a point, it ceases to BE the truth.

I'll strive to be more non-partisan like you enlightened libs.

I forgot you all protested the nomination of John Kerry because he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and therefore in no way could connect to middle class Americans.

I did.

And if he ran again, I would object to him for that (among other) reasons again.

Yea, but... rational thought is a foreign language to you.

President Barack Obama, courting young voters crucial to his reelection, told a rowdy college-age crowd at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill on Tuesday that he knows first-hand about the burden of student loans because he only managed to pay his back a scant eight years ago.

"Michelle and I, we've been in your shoes," Obama, who turns 51 in August, told a cheering, capacity crowd of 8,000 at Carmichael Arena.

"Check this out, all right. I'm the president of the United States. We only finished paying off our student loans off about eight years ago. That wasn't that long ago. And that wasn't easy--especially because when we had Malia and Sasha, we're supposed to be saving up for their college educations, and we're still paying off our college educations," he said.

Obama: I only paid off my student loans eight years ago - ABC News

Are we still trying to say Romney and Obama are comparable, from an economic background standpoint?

Of course they are different. Obama is wealthy and Romney is very wealthy. So?

Obama is recently wealthy. And he's not all that wealthy. Has he even hit eight figures yet? Oh! Apparently he has, within the past few years. I remember hearing when he was elected, his net worth was less than $5,000,000. Now it's $11,800,000. So let's compare.

Obama: $11,800,000

Mittens: $250,000,000

Hmm. Yeah, I'm not seeing the "Similarity." I'm going to go with wealthy and obscenely wealthy. Incomprehensibly wealthy. Yes, I as someone who earns less than $12/hour can't comprehend that kind of money. I believe that may be the disconnect everyone is referring to.

Last edited:

Are we still trying to say Romney and Obama are comparable, from an economic background standpoint?

Obama is recently wealthy. And he's not all that wealthy. Has he even hit eight figures yet? Oh! Apparently he has, within the past few years. I remember hearing when he was elected, his net worth was less than $5,000,000. Now it's $11,800,000. So let's compare.

Hmm. Yeah, I'm not seeing the "Similarity." I'm going to go with wealthy and obscenely wealthy. Incomprehensibly wealthy. Yes, I as someone who earns less than $12/hour can't comprehend that kind of money. I believe that may be the disconnect everyone is referring to.

I'll take 11,800,000 any day thank you.

Interesting that you consider 11,800,000 "not all that wealthy".

Doesn't address the issue of knowing he has no clue what it's like to be middle class or below. He can't feel our pain, he can't understand our issues - he has never been one of us. Not even close.

Doesn't address the issue of knowing he has no clue what it's like to be middle class or below. He can't feel our pain, he can't understand our issues - he has never been one of us. Not even close.

Do you have 11,800,000?

Obama's promise to protect interest rates on student loans is going to be broken. He's planning on a veto of that bill.

President Barack Obama, courting young voters crucial to his reelection, told a rowdy college-age crowd at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill on Tuesday that he knows first-hand about the burden of student loans because he only managed to pay his back a scant eight years ago.

"Michelle and I, we've been in your shoes," Obama, who turns 51 in August, told a cheering, capacity crowd of 8,000 at Carmichael Arena.

"Check this out, all right. I'm the president of the United States. We only finished paying off our student loans off about eight years ago. That wasn't that long ago. And that wasn't easy--especially because when we had Malia and Sasha, we're supposed to be saving up for their college educations, and we're still paying off our college educations," he said.

Can anyone actually determine when it was that Barack Obama paid off HIS student loans and how much in fact they were? I ask this because if you read the text of his speech carefully, you'll note that he used the term "we". Does that mean that "his" loans were paid and they were paying off Michelle's? My next question is why did someone who got a six figure book deal and a position at a prestigious Chicago law firm (at which Michelle also worked and I assume both were paid a handsome salary?), right out of college wait SO long to pay off his student loans? Barry stands up there in front of all those kids who will graduate with huge student loan debts but with NONE of his rewards for being the first black President of the Harvard Law Review and talks about how he "feels" their pain? That's amusing.

Let's face it, Kiddies...Barack didn't pay off his loans, not because he didn't have the money to do so, because quite obviously he was making some serious coin...but because it's a low interest loan and he didn't feel the need to rush to repay it.

It's like when Barry stands on stage and gives speeches about understanding what people feel when they lose their homes...HIS home in Chicago was bought with the help of Tony Rezko. The fact is...Barack Obama isn't some middle class person and hasn't been one for quite some time. Trying to paint "him" as an up by your bootstraps story is laughable.

Last edited:
Wow, I point out that Barry was making big coin right out of Harvard Law School and STILL didn't pay off his student loans...and all you progressives abandon this thread like rats off a sinking ship.

I'm always amused when the light of reality is shown on the myth of Obama.

Well, Obama sure as shit isn't poor now.

His and Michelle's money all came from politics. Telling lies and breaking promises.

Mitt's came from hard work.

Obama's promise to protect interest rates on student loans is going to be broken. He's planning on a veto of that bill.

He is going to veto he because the bill also eliminates preventive medicine funding which will result in thousands of people dieing. So perhaps you could get a clue... but then you'd be a demcorat

He is going to veto he because the bill also eliminates preventive medicine funding which will result in thousands of people dieing. So perhaps you could get a clue... but then you'd be a demcorat

Ah, a progressive!!! Great. So tell me, Star...when Obama talks about knowing what other students are going through with "their" student loans...do you think he's full of shit? From what others have said on here, Barry had $60,000 in student loans. He made over a hundred thousand on just his book deal coming out of college along with a position at one of Chicago's most prestigious law firms where his future wife Michelle also worked. Now the average starting wage for a Harvard Law School grad is $155,000 a year. So between what he made on the book deal and what he was getting paid as a lawyer...how is it that he took all this time to pay off his student loans? Care to take a stab at that?

My take on it is this...the interest rate on student loans is negligible so he was in no hurry to pay it back because it wasn't costing him very much. Heck, if he wasn't running for political office he'd probably STILL be stringing that loan out.

I can't believe the guy has the stones to get up in front of a college crowd and portray himself as just another poor student...just like them. Talk about your grade A horse shit!

Okay? So how did Obama have student loan debt then.

Guess we will never know will we... his records are sealed.

:doubt:

His tax records are not sealed, at least as back as 2000. I took a quick look, there was no SL interest deduction in 2000. Why one would ask? His MAGI was approx $165k OVER the limit to take this deduction.
Where does one find that info?

And, I find it very difficult to believe it took Obama that long to pay off his student loans. At the time he started college, the payoff time of those loans was structured differently than it is today and the relative cost of college was much less than it is today.

I call bullshit on the prez.

Does a Black fatherless man, one who was raised in the middle class, and who had to borrow money to go to college, and one who then became President of the United States, bring to the table a somewhat different POV than somebody who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, who has never ever had to even think about the cost of things, one who was, and always will be wealthy?

Gee, kids, this isn't too difficult to answer I think.

The answer is: of course.

Does the child of a self made man know the value of hard work and sacrifice? I would say, based on personal experience, absolutely yes. Romney's dad went from selling paint from the back of his car to running one of the biggest car companies in the country. That's a self made man. People who work hard for their money tend to raise their kids with their values. And those values include knowing the value of a dollar.

And... can I just say... it's no wonder that Obama doesn't see the national debt as a huge problem... it took him long enough to pay his own fucking debts.

Sure, but you're missing the part where George Romney only worked for failing businesses until he got a job because of the New Deal with the National Recovery Act. It was a massive public-private investment into jobs that allowed for him to finally save money and do well for himself and then move on as a lobbyist and then as the head of ALCOA and AMC after that.

You're also leaving out that he stood for the New Deal when running in 1964 while his opponent wished to repeal it. Why would he stand for it? Because it was the first thing in his life that got him to the successful place he had dreamed of.

The man was broke through the Great Depression and benefited from the New Deal. Nothing wrong with that, that was practically every working stiff's case back in the day.

Does a Black fatherless man, one who was raised in the middle class, and who had to borrow money to go to college, and one who then became President of the United States, bring to the table a somewhat different POV than somebody who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, who has never ever had to even think about the cost of things, one who was, and always will be wealthy?

Gee, kids, this isn't too difficult to answer I think.

The answer is: of course.

Oh great, we should re-elect the most worthless President to ever sit in the office because he had such hard times growing up with middle-class white folk, and had to deal with paying off loans for going to Harvard. Cry us a river.

You should vote for whomsoever you want to vote for, lad.

My post had nothing whatever to do with who you or I vote form now, does it? (do take the time to read my post again)

I don't think many Americans give a flying flip about the background of either candidate, they just want someone who can fix the economy. That obviously isn't Obama, he's proven it.

I think you're right that background isn't the issue, but I defintiely do thinking the candidates UNDERSTANDING what people are facing probably is.

Can a person of the manor born, like Romney, actually fathom what it means to be a middle class person?

Well, I have no doubt some of them can, but based on the comments Romney has made, and the policies he believes are good for America, I don't think he can.

The far better question is can OBAMA fathom what the American middle class is facing?

I think he has a slightly better idea, but no, I doubt his POV really gets it, too.

EVen though he came from that class, he hadn't truly been an average citizen of this nation in a mighty long time.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back