Obama's speech at the UN

catzmeow

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2008
Gunshine State
A beautiful tribute to Chris Stevens. And, a decided lack of apology for America's values.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/26/w...the-united-nations-general-assembly-text.html

Here in the United States, countless publications provoke offense. Like me, the majority of Americans are Christian, and yet we do not ban blasphemy against our most sacred beliefs. As President of our country and Commander-in-Chief of our military, I accept that people are going to call me awful things every day -- (laughter) -- and I will always defend their right to do so.

Americans have fought and died around the globe to protect the right of all people to express their views, even views that we profoundly disagree with. We do not do so because we support hateful speech, but because our founders understood that without such protections, the capacity of each individual to express their own views and practice their own faith may be threatened. We do so because in a diverse society, efforts to restrict speech can quickly become a tool to silence critics and oppress minorities.

We do so because given the power of faith in our lives, and the passion that religious differences can inflame, the strongest weapon against hateful speech is not repression; it is more speech -- the voices of tolerance that rally against bigotry and blasphemy, and lift up the values of understanding and mutual respect.

Now, I know that not all countries in this body share this particular understanding of the protection of free speech. We recognize that. But in 2012, at a time when anyone with a cell phone can spread offensive views around the world with the click of a button, the notion that we can control the flow of information is obsolete. The question, then, is how do we respond?

And on this we must agree: There is no speech that justifies mindless violence. There are no words that excuse the killing of innocents. There’s no video that justifies an attack on an embassy. There’s no slander that provides an excuse for people to burn a restaurant in Lebanon, or destroy a school in Tunis, or cause death and destruction in Pakistan.

It's The Future MUST NOT belong to those who slander the prophet of islam speech.

It was a good campaign speech. Worthy of the DNC convention.

I'm sure the dead ambassador would have prefered some protection and his life.

Might be nice if his security team had real bullets doncha think??

Would real bullets have made the situation better?

Kent State had real bullets

It's The Future MUST NOT belong to those who slander the prophet of islam speech.

Nice tribute but still with the video angle in a subtle way:

That is what we saw play out in the last two weeks, as a crude and disgusting video sparked outrage throughout the Muslim world. Now, I have made it clear that the United States government had nothing to do with this video, and I believe its message must be rejected by all who respect our common humanity.

There’s no video that justifies an attack on an embassy. There’s no slander that provides an excuse for people to burn a restaurant in Lebanon, or destroy a school in Tunis, or cause death and destruction in Pakistan.

Let us remember that Muslims have suffered the most at the hands of extremism. On the same day our civilians were killed in Benghazi, a Turkish police officer was murdered in Istanbul only days before his wedding; more than 10 Yemenis were killed in a car bomb in Sana’a; several Afghan children were mourned by their parents just days after they were killed by a suicide bomber in Kabul.

Would have been better for him to have actually been WITH them... :eusa_eh:

The Navy Seals were not assigned to him...

• Banned

That is what we saw play out in the last two weeks, as a crude and disgusting video sparked outrage throughout the Muslim world. Now, I have made it clear that the United States government had nothing to do with this video, and I believe its message must be rejected by all who respect our common humanity.

There’s no video that justifies an attack on an embassy. There’s no slander that provides an excuse for people to burn a restaurant in Lebanon, or destroy a school in Tunis, or cause death and destruction in Pakistan.

Let us remember that Muslims have suffered the most at the hands of extremism. On the same day our civilians were killed in Benghazi, a Turkish police officer was murdered in Istanbul only days before his wedding; more than 10 Yemenis were killed in a car bomb in Sana’a; several Afghan children were mourned by their parents just days after they were killed by a suicide bomber in Kabul.

I think the video angle matters, insofar as people outside of the U.S. in these regions don't even understand the concept of free speech.

You just love that apples and oranges strawman angle. Yeah real bullets might have made a difference. We'll never know... now will we?

Might have helpled if security was raised as general procedure on the anniversary of 9/11 too!

I'm sure you have another strawman argument for that too.

Hillary Clinton and the State Dept dropped the ball. The Ambassador himself knew he was in danger and no one gave a shit!

Last edited:

No comparison. Kent State has nothing to do with dirtbags attacking an embassy and guards with no way to defend.

Get real.

I think the video angle matters, insofar as people outside of the U.S. in these regions don't even understand the concept of free speech.

They video had nothing to do with what happened to the Ambassador.

Wonder why he didnt mention the killings in Chicago as well... he is such a dumbass.
We were attacked on September 11th yet again, by Muslim extremists, and he patronizes those bastards at the UN with this dribble.

Wonder why he didnt mention the killings in Chicago as well... he is such a dumbass.
We were attacked on September 11th yet again, by Muslim extremists, and he patronizes those bastards at the UN with this dribble.

Thanks, I forgot that one in my haste. He won't admit we were hit again on his watch because it will be all over. It's indefensible. What he doesn't get is that most people know the truth. Whether there will be enough that know that will get out and vote, is another story.

Last edited:

They video had nothing to do with what happened to the Ambassador.

It's relevant to the protests elsewhere, though.

No comparison. Kent State has nothing to do with dirtbags attacking an embassy and guards with no way to defend.

Get real.

What was the reaction to National Guard troops firing on students?

What would the international reaction have been if Marines had fired on the protestors and killed 20-30? Its a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. We might have felt better if armed guards had killed some protestors....but it would have escalated the situation and we would have played into AlQaedas hands

Last edited:
what a speech....what leadership .....what a turnaround......:rolleyes:

must have been pretty hard for the libs to write this speech.....it took two long weeks.....they probably had to do some polling first....

Ahhh, isn't that nice....he got the Ambassador killed but then gave him a tribute. Ahhhhh....

I bet the Ambassador and the other 3 men would rather be alive than have Obamination even send them a thank you note.

Get real.

What would the international reaction have been if Marines had fired on the protestors and killed 20-30? Its a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. We might have felt better if armed guards had killed some protestors....but it would have escalated the situation and we would have played into AlQaedas hands

Are your brain cells dried up? What would the reaction be? Are you fucking nuts? The reaction is to protect the Ambassador at all costs, period. Not stop and think what will the Islamist extremists think?

Kent state your ass. Don't even bother answering me. You as obtuse as it gets. You just want to be right no matter how stupid your argument. Do me a favor. PUT ME ON IGNORE!

Last edited:

Get real.

Are your brain cells dried up? What would the reaction be? Are you fucking nuts? The reaction is to protect the Ambassador at all costs, period. Not stop and think what will the Islamist extremists think?

Kent state your ass. Don't even bother answering me. You as obtuse as it gets. You just want to be right no matter how stupid your argument.

In 1770 a group of thugs surrounded British soldiers and pelted them with stones. The soldiers fired in self defense killing five of the mob.
This escalated into what was called The Boston Massacre and helped lead to the Revolution

Firing on the crowd may have made us feel better and may have been warranted, If we had killed dozens, they would have been martyred and the attacks on US property would have escallated

Forum List

Back