Obama's Plan for Education

So you're saying all the children in America are having all their needs met with early childhood education? You don't think the government should expand some $$ into helping them. Head Start is a great program, but sometimes children are turned away if they don't have any more room for them.

What do you suggest to help our impoverished children xcited, tell me your ideas to help America's children.

I believe you're setting a very dangerous precedent. Letting the Federal Government get more power can lead to fascism. Witness the last 8 years. Now we've got a President who wants the Federal government to have even more control.

Impoverished children are already being helped by State, local and private agencies and citizens. Keep the Federal Government out of this. They use talking points like "think of the children!" to get people to give them more power. Citizens should resist this power grab with every fiber of their being.

So you think the children of America are getting the best services possible right now?

While most companies have been laying off workers, over 50,000 jobs have been added in education and health services. There are certainly plenty of dollars to go around. And for those who don't want the government's plan for education, there are plenty of other alternatives which can be very inexpensive. So to answer your question, it appears we are doing the best we can.

So you're saying all the children in America are having all their needs met with early childhood education? You don't think the government should expand some $$ into helping them. Head Start is a great program, but sometimes children are turned away if they don't have any more room for them.

What do you suggest to help our impoverished children xcited, tell me your ideas to help America's children.

I think the fed gov't should be out of education. Leave it to the states. Unfunded mandates have caused unmeasured catastrophes to real kids. Disband the education department, let the states deal with.

OK, you know I respect you and your opinions. How exactly can we get this to happen?

I don't think having the fed gov't involved is always a great idea, what I AM SAYING is I really believe we need more early childhood education programs in this country, and Obama has said he wants to have more also. So if he (the government) don't fund these programs, who will and with what money?

I'm not saying there's an 'easy answer', I agree with you about EC. On the other hand, look at the horror of NCLB, Obama wants to increase that! Seems to me a week or so ago, you were dealing with the fallout of that.

The states' DOE need to look at what they've done, regarding NCLB. Keep what's good and ditch what is untenable.

I think the fed gov't should be out of education. Leave it to the states. Unfunded mandates have caused unmeasured catastrophes to real kids. Disband the education department, let the states deal with.

OK, you know I respect you and your opinions. How exactly can we get this to happen?

I don't think having the fed gov't involved is always a great idea, what I AM SAYING is I really believe we need more early childhood education programs in this country, and Obama has said he wants to have more also. So if he (the government) don't fund these programs, who will and with what money?

I'm not saying there's an 'easy answer', I agree with you about EC. On the other hand, look at the horror of NCLB, Obama wants to increase that! Seems to me a week or so ago, you were dealing with the fallout of that.

The states' DOE need to look at what they've done, regarding NCLB. Keep what's good and ditch what is untenable.
actually, the STATE DoE's need to go too
let the local school boards handle their own schools

Wish all you like, the state is there to stay.

the local schools boards most of them are as corrupt as state. i think personally the current k-12 scheme is outdated.

Wish all you like, the state is there to stay.
and so is the fed
that doesnt mean i have to LIKE it

the local schools boards most of them are as corrupt as state. i think personally the current k-12 scheme is outdated.
well, if people actually lkearned how this countries governments function, that wouldnt happen
the president is not the end all be all of our government
too many people seem to think he is

Solutions aren't always as simply as immediately envisioned, and the expansion of schooling can have deleterious impacts if equality of opportunity concerns are not sufficiently considered. For instance, Machin and Gregg's A lesson for education: University expansion and falling income mobility provides critical insight into the role of greater human capital gains by privileged sections of the population (through expansion of the university system, namely), in reducing interegenerational income mobility in the UK.

The fall in intergenerational income mobility can partly be accounted for by the fact that a greater share of the rapid educational upgrading of the British population has been concentrated on people with richer parents. The unequal increase in educational attainment has been one factor in reinforcing the link between earnings and income of children and their parents. This seems to be an unintended consequence of the expansion of the university system that occurred in the late 1980s and early 1990s. It demonstrates that education policy matters for income equality, and can have wide reaching and long lasting consequences for individuals.

But it's still necessary to keep in mind that reference to external funding sources of schools is irrelevant to their internal structure, which will remain flawed so long as an excessively authoritarian element remains in place. The internal democratic structure of Summerhill, for instance, or the Modern Schools promoted by Francisco Ferrer in Spain, are a far preferable organizational structure.

Forum List

Back