Obama's DOL Secretary Hilda L. Solis: You Have the Right to Be Paid Fairly Whether Do

The people who came through Ellis Island were populating a very large and very empty country. They came with sponsors or skills or otherwise legally, were required to wait out a quarantine period to be sure they had no communicable diseases before they were allowed onto the mainland, they were required to denounce all allegiance to any other country, and were expected to learn the nation's laws, know the contents of the Constitution, learn English sufficiently to take a comprehensive citizenship test in English and were sworn in as proud Americans. They expected nobody to provide them with any form of services or substance. All they asked for was a place to work and support themselves and reach for the American dream.

At some point the new country had enough to people to produce most of its own population and new immigrants were still being taken in, but in fewer numbers so that they could be seamlessly assimilated into the existing culture as all who came before them had done. All immigrant groups have added to and enhanced the existing culture, but they became part of it and they became Americans. They were not Poles or Germans or Mexicans or Italians or Spaniards who held America and her culture in contempt. They all wanted to be proud Americans.

Language, borders, culture are what defines any nation. Lose any part of that and the nation becomes something different than it was. Add to that a conviction that freedom is demonstrated in people who are not governed by any ruler, monarch, or other authority but who are free to govern themselves. When we lose that, we lose America.

Last edited:
The people who came through Ellis Island were populating a very large and very empty country. They came with sponsors or skills or otherwise legally, were required to wait out a quarantine period to be sure they had no communicable diseases before they were allowed onto the mainland, they were required to denounce all allegiance to any other country, and were expected to learn the nation's laws, know the contents of the Constitution, learn English sufficiently to take a comprehensive citizenship test in English and were sworn in as proud Americans. They expected nobody to provide them with any form of services or substance. All they asked for was a place to work and support themselves and reach for the American dream.

At some point the new country had enough to people to produce most of its own population and new immigrants were still being taken in, but in fewer numbers so that they could be seamlessly assimilated into the existing culture as all who came before them had done. All immigrant groups have added to and enhanced the existing culture, but they became part of it and they became Americans. They were not Poles or Germans or Mexicans or Italians or Spaniards who held America and her culture in contempt. They all wanted to be proud Americans.

Language, borders, culture are what defines any nation. Lose any part of that and the nation becomes something different than it was. Add to that a conviction that freedom is demonstrated in people who are not governed by any ruler, monarch, or other authority but who are free to govern themselves. When we lose that, we lose America.

Are you suggesting that all those immigrants came to American and left their ethnic identities and cultural heritage at the door and all willingly become homogenous red white and blue Americans?

http://www.polish.org/?view=home

Welcome to the German-American Heritage Foundation

National Italian American Foundation - www.niaf.org

Chinese American Museum

I could go on and on and on. We are, and have always been a nation of immigrants. Some of us just got here earlier than others. And today, immigrants do the work that most Americans are too proud to do for wages we would all scoff at.

Again: if American businessmen were thrown in jail for hiring undocumented workers, two things would happen: 1. illegal immigration would cease because their reason for coming here would be removed... and 2. Americans would immediately be screaming for comprehensive immigration reform that would bring those workers back from south of the border because collectively, Americans would MISS Lettuce and all the other products that the immigrants used to help bring to market at prices that Americans appreciated.... they would MISS having clean sheets in hotels where they could still afford to stay, and clean dishes in restaurants where they still could afford to eat.:razz:

I wonder if the righties ever really stop to think what would happen to our economy if all the illegal immigrants were to be suddenly whisked away south of the border and not allowed back in again?

Yeah, I mean look what happened when millions of immigrants who came to this country through Ellis Island legally and took the jobs no one else wanted.......

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo: :lol::lol::lol:

You make it so easy, do you really understand what comes out of your brain?!?!

Was your navy in your bathtub or some other body of water? :confused:

Maineman:
As a fellow houstonian, let me apologize for this ignorant statement. I appreciate your service to our county. Please don't think all houstonians are dimwits.

What is it that compels idiots to think they need to apologize for anyone besides themselves, especially on a message board? Maybe you have been out in this heat & humidity too long.....

But hey, he needs your pity.....keep it up.....

No, GWV5903, your behavior toward a service person is inexcusable in this context. So, yeah, the rest of us have to apologize for disdain for the service and the flag our men and women serve. For shame on you.

Are you suggesting that all those immigrants came to American and left their ethnic identities and cultural heritage at the door and all willingly become homogenous red white and blue Americans?

Chinese American Museum

I could go on and on and on. We are, and have always been a nation of immigrants. Some of us just got here earlier than others. And today, immigrants do the work that most Americans are too proud to do for wages we would all scoff at.

Again: if American businessmen were thrown in jail for hiring undocumented workers, two things would happen: 1. illegal immigration would cease because their reason for coming here would be removed... and 2. Americans would immediately be screaming for comprehensive immigration reform that would bring those workers back from south of the border because collectively, Americans would MISS Lettuce and all the other products that the immigrants used to help bring to market at prices that Americans appreciated.... they would MISS having clean sheets in hotels where they could still afford to stay, and clean dishes in restaurants where they still could afford to eat.:razz:

Baloney. I do not believe it is necessary to accommodate illegals to get the work done here. My sis and brother-in-law, both retired from the New Mexico school system, ran a Super 8 near here for several years. My nephew who runs a construction company that built that Super 8 as well as other businesses that the family ran for awhile never hired an illegal on his work crews. None of them ever had to hire a single illegal. There were plenty of folks needing work more than willing to take the part time jobs, full time jobs, and split shifts offered.

What is so freaking offensive to people like you to enforcing the law but implementing a guest worker program so that seasonal workers could come in legally as needed? For the life of me I don't understand how that is so impossible now when it has never been before.

And as for those former immigrants, my family is full of them. Irish, Italian, Mexican, Spanish, French, German, Austrian et al--there is no more mutt on USMB than I am. Some of them are second generation immigrants and some are first generation immigrants. Some date back to the American revolution. But every one came here legally. Every one brought bits and pieces of their former culture and assimilated it into the whole.

But not one presumed to demand that the old country culture be the norm, the old country language the standard, or the old country flag suitable for flying on whatever day. They all did the legal way, the right way, and they're all Americans now.

And if you find that offensive, well that's just tough. They don't. And I'm proud of each and every one of them. And those of you who think it is so terrible that Americans want to preserve an American culture can just go fly a kite.

Sorry to get off on a rant here, but we are two days away from celebrating the birthday of the greatest nation this world has ever seen. And those who don't think so, I would really REALLY like to see just go someplace else to their better liking. Is that too much to ask?

Last edited:

Chinese American Museum

Baloney. I do not believe it is necessary to accommodate illegals to get the work done here. My sis and brother-in-law, both retired from the New Mexico school system, ran a Super 8 near here for several years. My nephew who runs a construction company that built that Super 8 as well as other businesses that the family ran for awhile never hired an illegal on his work crews. None of them ever had to hire a single illegal. There were plenty of folks needing work more than willing to take the part time jobs, full time jobs, and split shifts offered.

What is so freaking offensive to people like you to enforcing the law but implementing a guest worker program so that seasonal workers could come in legally as needed? For the life of me I don't understand how that is so impossible now when it has never been before.

And as for those former immigrants, my family is full of them. Irish, Italian, Mexican, Spanish, French, German, Austrian et al--there is no more mutt on USMB than I am. Some of them are second generation immigrants and some are first generation immigrants. Some date back to the American revolution. But every one came here legally. Every one brought bits and pieces of their former culture and assimilated it into the whole.

But not one presumed to demand that the old country culture be the norm, the old country language the standard, or the old country flag suitable for flying on whatever day. They all did the legal way, the right way, and they're all Americans now.

And if you find that offensive, well that's just tough. They don't. And I'm proud of each and every one of them. And those of you who think it is so terrible that Americans want to preserve an American culture can just go fly a kite.

Sorry to get off on a rant here, but we are two days away from celebrating the birthday of the greatest nation this world has ever seen. And those who don't think so, I would really REALLY like to see just go someplace else to their better liking. Is that too much to ask?

YOur anecdotal stories to the contrary, there are MANY industries in America who employ large amounts of illegal immigrants and do so to maximize THEIR profits and to hell with our laws. Why are you so against jailing the employers who hire illegal immigrants for sub-minimum wages?

Did you notice, by the way, on those sites I posted, where they all have a flag from their "home" oountry as part of the page? You need to go to a midwestern polish american neighborhood and try your jingoistic rant on them... tell them that they cannot honor their polish heritage... tell the german-americans that... tell ANY ethnic American that he needs to forget about his roots... if you have the balls and concommitant lack of brains to try such a stupid stunt.

And I will grant your wish soon. In less than a year, I will move to Merida, Mexico and live like a fucking king on my inheriitance and my Navy pay and social security and my utility company retirement and the proceeds from my 401k... and I'll get WAY better health care than YOU will, and I will get WAY better tequila than YOU will... and I will STILL vote for democrats via absentee ballot until the day I die.:razz:

No, GWV5903, your behavior toward a service person is inexcusable in this context. So, yeah, the rest of us have to apologize for disdain for the service and the flag our men and women serve. For shame on you.

Is this the best you have? You have some wild hair up your ass that you need to apologize for me because I disagree with someone who maybe a former member of our military? Get a life, worry about what I disagree with you on, grow some gonads......

I could careless what someone did in their past life if it deteriorates this country further, in fact it is hypocritical to sit here and defend illegal immigration and use your military career to justify it.....

GWV5903's behavior here is a desecration of American values. Bub, honor a person's service, then shut up about it thereafter, and make your points. But don't ever think you bring cred or kudos to your performance with the scummy actions and talk you have brought to this thread.

Grow up and act like a responsible adult.

Chinese American Museum

YOur anecdotal stories to the contrary, there are MANY industries in America who employ large amounts of illegal immigrants and do so to maximize THEIR profits and to hell with our laws. Why are you so against jailing the employers who hire illegal immigrants for sub-minimum wages?

Did you notice, by the way, on those sites I posted, where they all have a flag from their "home" oountry as part of the page? You need to go to a midwestern polish american neighborhood and try your jingoistic rant on them... tell them that they cannot honor their polish heritage... tell the german-americans that... tell ANY ethnic American that he needs to forget about his roots... if you have the balls and concommitant lack of brains to try such a stupid stunt.

And I will grant your wish soon. In less than a year, I will move to Merida, Mexico and live like a fucking king on my inheriitance and my Navy pay and social security and my utility company retirement and the proceeds from my 401k... and I'll get WAY better health care than YOU will, and I will get WAY better tequila than YOU will... and I will STILL vote for democrats via absentee ballot until the day I die.:razz:

Sigh. I think there must be something in the water that some liberals drink that makes them unable to read what is there or understand what is written.

Your reasoning seems to think that if large numbers of businesses do it wrong, then we have to allow it or they'll get mad. I wonder if you feel the same way if they pollute or price rig or cheat their customers or sell illegal products? Using your logic we should just turn our head and do nothing about it because large numbers of people do it. I think we should enforce the law no matter how many people try to break it?

I provided a reasonable remedy for those who need seasonal workers that might not be available in times of high employment. You ignored that.

I have at no time on any board or on any forum or in any thread suggested that people should not or could not honor or celebrate the culture of their original homeland or heritage. So you made that up which is a very unclassy thing to do. Would also get you marked way down in a formal debate. I did however say that people who we accept as new citizens should be here to be Americans and not expect to turn America into the kinds of places they wished to leave.

And I hope you are very happy in Mexico. Perhaps that will be to your liking. America obviously isn't.

Sigh. I think there must be something in the water that some liberals drink that makes them unable to read what is there or understand what is written.

Your reasoning seems to think that if large numbers of businesses do it wrong, then we have to allow it or they'll get mad. I wonder if you feel the same way if they pollute or price rig or cheat their customers or sell illegal products? Using your logic we should just turn our head and do nothing about it because large numbers of people do it. I think we should enforce the law no matter how many people try to break it?

I provided a reasonable remedy for those who need seasonal workers that might not be available in times of high employment. You ignored that.

I have at no time on any board or on any forum or in any thread suggested that people should not or could not honor or celebrate the culture of their original homeland or heritage. So you made that up which is a very unclassy thing to do. Would also get you marked way down in a formal debate. I did however say that people who we accept as new citizens should be here to be Americans and not expect to turn America into the kinds of places they wished to leave.

And I hope you are very happy in Mexico. Perhaps that will be to your liking. America obviously isn't.

you misstate my reasoning.... most likely on purpose. My reasoning is simple. If people really want to get rid of illegal immigrants, the best way to do so is to institute draconina punishment for American businessmen and women who offer jobs to those illegal immigrants.

I personally don't believe that, when confronted with the economic reality that completely doing without illegal sub-minimum wage immigrant labor would cause, Americans really are ready to go without it. We are addicted to cheap illegal immigrant labor and most of us just don't undeerstand how deep the addiction really is.

And I love America... I just don't like the winters and I want to maximize my lifestyle in my retirement and Mexico is the place to do that. I will always be a proud American and always vote for democrats in our elections.

you misstate my reasoning.... most likely on purpose. My reasoning is simple. If people really want to get rid of illegal immigrants, the best way to do so is to institute draconina punishment for American businessmen and women who offer jobs to those illegal immigrants.

I personally don't believe that, when confronted with the economic reality that completely doing without illegal sub-minimum wage immigrant labor would cause, Americans really are ready to go without it. We are addicted to cheap illegal immigrant labor and most of us just don't undeerstand how deep the addiction really is.

And I love America... I just don't like the winters and I want to maximize my lifestyle in my retirement and Mexico is the place to do that. I will always be a proud American and always vote for democrats in our elections.

And again you ignore the remedy that would not require throwing business people in jail or forcing people to go without lettuce. I agree that the existing laws should be enforced and those who violate them should experience swift and certain consequences. But I don't believe most Americans believe as you do that if we don't have floods of illegals or open our borders to people willing to work for substandard wages, we won't have lettuce.

And sure you love America. That's why you are dedicated to voting only for Democrats despite all that has been happening and why you wish to live elsewhere. But each to their own.

That is only part of the solution. But since it punishes business, that's that only one the Left can support.

That is only part of the solution. But since it punishes business, that's that only one the Left can support.

I think that's it. Rational people can see that there are a number of things that should happen to combat crime of all types. Some things can be done by potential victims. Some things can be done to make the crime more difficult to commit. Some things can be done to make catching and prosecuting the criminals more likely. And of course applying the full extent of the law to the criminal themselves is a big part of it.

The irrational pick the one group they love to demonize and identify it as the whole problem and the whole solution.

Big Business is the major issue here, Foxfyre, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. No jobs? The illegals would not have come in the first place. However, Maineman does miss the point that the illegals are now home. They aren't going anywhere, even if they lose their jobs. Poverty in America is preferable to poverty in Mexico.

Yeah, your a great example, and you seam to have a very short memory.....

daveman, I am glad you are as you are.

A friend, a Catholic priest, points out that one cannot know the light unless the dark exists.

Folks like you provide the darkness against the light of goodness shine forth.

So Jake just :anj_stfu: :anj_stfu: :anj_stfu: your embarrassing the human race.......

You have the right to be paid fairly whether documented or not. If you give up the right to be paid fairly you can take the job of an American.

it is the only part that absolutely has to happen. With no jobs, there would BE no illegal immigration, and therefore there would be no need to build a border fence, or to restrict wire transfers or to deport millions of people. Eliminate the jobs for illegal immigrants and they will leave and go to where there ARE jobs. But everyone here loves the cheap lettuce and nobody wants to even THINK that business interests are at the root of the problem. It is so much easier to demonize the poor little wetback and excuse the total culpability of American business addiction to cheap labor.

What is it that compels idiots to think they need to apologize

Isn't the Internet wonderful. Where else can you call someone names, like idiot, while hiding behind a computer keyboard.

And, later you are telling someone to grow a pair of balls?"

Well, I've come to expect no less from the right-wing!

Last edited:

Yeah, your a great example, and you seam to have a very short memory.....

daveman, I am glad you are as you are.

A friend, a Catholic priest, points out that one cannot know the light unless the dark exists.

Folks like you provide the darkness against the light of goodness shine forth.

So Jake just :anj_stfu: :anj_stfu: :anj_stfu: your embarrassing the human race.......

You attacked a serviceman's career, which had nothing to do with this argument. I have done no such thing here. Your grade for this thread: Fail!

I think that's it. Rational people can see that there are a number of things that should happen to combat crime of all types. Some things can be done by potential victims. Some things can be done to make the crime more difficult to commit. Some things can be done to make catching and prosecuting the criminals more likely. And of course applying the full extent of the law to the criminal themselves is a big part of it.

The irrational pick the one group they love to demonize and identify it as the whole problem and the whole solution.
:clap2:

Forum List

Back