Obamas Choose Elite Private School for Kids

No, I want the ability to leave my home school district. I want to be able to take the funds that are applied to my home school and take them and apply them to whatever school I think is appropriate.

They are called school vouchers and they are not a hard concept to grasp, even for someone like you.

The government doesn't spend 30,000 dollars a year on you for your child's education. Nowhere close to that.

If you want 30,000 dollars a year to send your kid to private school, pay for it yourself.

Are you nuts? His kids are going to be prime targets. No way in hell would he let his kids go to public school.

The guy is a millionaire. He wants his kids to receive the best education possible - which we all know is NOT public school.

The point I am making is that the public school system is in dire need of repair. And it's not lack of funds, but one of priorities. Perhaps if the schools had to compete for students, they would be forced to come up with a better model for educating. But I am sure this concept of free markets as it would be applied to the education system would be a serious threat to the looney left.

There is no excuse for the illiteracy rates in this country, none at all.

The government doesn't spend 30,000 dollars a year on you for your child's education. Nowhere close to that.

If you want 30,000 dollars a year to send your kid to private school, pay for it yourself.

We can discuss this when you become better informed on school vouchers, for now it is a waste of time.

No, I want the ability to leave my home school district. I want to be able to take the funds that are applied to my home school and take them and apply them to whatever school I think is appropriate.

They are called school vouchers and they are not a hard concept to grasp, even for someone like you.

Government isn't going to eviscerate the public schools and give people money to send their kids to parochial schools, which is really what we're talking about when we talk about vouchers.

For real.

If you paid enough in taxes so that you were ACTUALLY ENTIRELY PAYING for your children's public school education then chances are you would have already put them in private school. You'd have plenty of cash on hand.

Government isn't going to eviscerate the public schools and give people money to send their kids to parochial schools, which is really what we're talking about when we talk about vouchers.

And why not if that is what the parents choose for their children?

Oh that's right, we want the government to decide what's best for our children. They do such a great job with everything else.

I'm with you. My kids go to private schools. There is NO WAY IN HELL I'm going to allow the government let losers from Public Schools invade private schools. If they don't have the money, they don't go. PERIOD!

You're correct that it doesn't cost $30,000 a year. But I don't think that's how much people seeking vouchers ask for. I think it's more like $3,000.

Online NewsHour: Education Backgrounder -- SCHOOL FUNDING

Either way, it's an intentional effort to undermine public education. These are generally the same people who want religion taught in school. (And I specifically said generally, since I'm sure there are the usual "government shouldn't do anything but wage war" folks who like it, too).

Assuming the woefully uninformed Isolde is even a homeowner, what he's really asking for is a massive handout from the government.

Schools are overwhelmingly funded by property taxes. And only about 50% of property taxes are diverted to school funding.

What does the average person actually pay a year in property taxes? A couple grand?

So Isolde, wants the government to make up the difference, and give him over 25,000 dollars for a private school.

Good luck with trying to get that hand out dude.

You're correct that it doesn't cost $30,000 a year. But I don't think that's how much people seeking vouchers ask for. I think it's more like $3,000.

Online NewsHour: Education Backgrounder -- SCHOOL FUNDING

Either way, it's an intentional effort to undermine public education. These are generally the same people who want religion taught in school. (And I specifically said generally, since I'm sure there are the usual "government shouldn't do anything but wage war" folks who like it, too).

LOL

And there's the big lie.

If you give poor whites, or poor blacks a voucher for 3 grand, they're still not going to be able to afford private school.

Hell, I make a good salary, and even I couldn't come up with the extra 15 or 25 thousand a year for the private school.

Like you said, its just a rightwing gimmick to defund public schools. It has nothing to do with "helping" poor people.

Assuming the woefully uninformed Isolde is even a homeowner, what he's really asking for is a massive handout from the government.

Schools are overwhelmingly funded by property taxes. And only about 50% of property taxes are diverted to school funding.

What does the average person actually pay a year in property taxes? A couple grand?

So Isolde, wants the government to make up the difference, and give him over 25,000 dollars for a private school.

You are utterly hopeless.

And why not if that is what the parents choose for their children?

Oh that's right, we want the government to decide what's best for our children. They do such a great job with everything else.

You can decide whatever you want. Government isn't funding religious indoctrination of our children.

And my son gets a great education in public school. Interestingly, no one is trying to make him a Christian or teach him creationism while he's there. If you want your child to learn religion, send him to parochial school on your dime, just like I would have to, or do what I do and pay for him, her or them to go to sunday school or whatever your religion encourages.

But don't pretend it's not an intentional effort to eviscerate the public schools...and foster a state religion.

No, Isolde is just saying she would like the option to send her children to another school if she's not satisfied with the way her child is being taught in the public school he attends. We have something like that here, the parent can choose to send their child to another school of their choice if their child is attending a school on probation from NCLB. Also, some special needs students may not be getting the best services possible in certain public schools, so parents should be able to find a school that best fits that child's needs.

ssssshhhh,, just goes to show you the democrats prove once again "equality for all" is just a bumper sticker.. :lol::lol: and the secret service could serve just as well in a public school.. if obamalama's girls aren't safe in a public school surrounded with secret service then what are you kids doing there??? Think about it!

No, Isolde is just saying she would like the option to send her children to another school if she's not satisfied with the way her child is being taught in the public school he attends. We have something like that here, the parent can choose to send their child to another school of their choice if their child is attending a school on probation from NCLB. Also, some special needs students may not be getting the best services possible in certain public schools, so parents should be able to find a school that best fits that child's needs.

No EZ, she's not. See her post # 27. It's what they say when what they really want is religion-based education and no public school education.

Because what happens to public schools after you take all the money and give it to religious schools? Easy...they no longer exist in any effective fashion.

IT's the whole, starve it til you can drown it in a bathtub thing. And given that the City I live in is 68% Catholic, what do you think would happen to public schools here while the diocese schools are enriched with our tax money?

You can decide whatevr you want. Government isn't funding religious indoctrination of our children.

And my son gets a great education in public school. Interestingly, no one is trying to make him a Christian or teach him creationism while he's there. If you want your child to learn religion, send him to parochial school on your dime, just like I would have to, or do what I do and pay for him, her or them to go to sunday school or whatever your religion encourages.

But don't pretend it's not an intentional effort to eviscerate the public schools...and foster a state religion.

Jillian, don't look now, but your intolerance for Christians is showing once again. Echo Z, whom I have spoken to privately, understands what I am looking for in school choice. You assume too much and come off looking quite bigoted in the process.

We can discuss this when you become better informed on school vouchers, for now it is a waste of time.

I know what the voucher gimmick is dude. And you're not fooling anyone.

Do you think you're going to be able to afford a twenty or thirty thousand dollar a year private school, with a voucher from Newt Gingrich that only comes out to three thousand dollars?

Don't make me laugh. Vouchers are a gimmick to allow rich people to opt out of funding public education.

I seriously doubt you have 25 grand a year just lying around, to make up the difference between the voucher and the actual cost of private school.

LOL

And there's the big lie.

If you give poor whites, or poor blacks a voucher for 3 grand, they're still not going to be able to afford private school.

Hell, I make a good salary, and even I couldn't come up with the extra 15 or 25 thousand a year for the private school.

Like you said, its just a rightwing gimmick to defund public schools. It has nothing to do with "helping" poor people.

Most private schools are in the $5k-$10k/year range.

Regardless, NO VOUCHERS! If I spend the money for my kids to go to Private Schools (which I do), there is no way in HELL I'm going to allow just anybody to go there. And once the government gets involved, private schools will become just as bad as most public schools.

I know what the voucher gimmick is dude. And you're not fooling anyone.

Do you think you're going to be able to afford a twenty or thirty thousand dollar a year private school, with a voucher from Newt Gingrich that only comes out to three thousand dollars?

Don't make me laugh. Vouchers are a gimmick to allow rich people to opt out of funding public education.

I seriously doubt you have 25 grand a year just lying around, to make up the difference between the voucher and the actual cost of private school.

Please stop. Why is it that I am embarassed for you and you are not embarrassed for yourself?

Forum List

Back