Obama's Checklist? Predictions?

Speaking as a parent whose own daughter was in the first group to be caught by the NCLB law I think it needs to be completely repealed. My daughter became ill in 1st grade and had neurological damage which caused her to have a short term memory problem which meant she couldn't remember what she read and when she took the FCAT standardized test she failed it because by the time she would finish reading the question she forgot what she read. They make no exceptions for this disability and even though she could read she still failed the 3rd grade simply by failing one test. When they read her the questions and she was able to answer it right away she passed the test with flying colors.

I had to threaten to sue the school board to get her tested for a learning disability and get her specialized help to deal with her disability. I also paid for a private tutor and now she's a straight A student who reads better than most of her peers and retains every bit of information she reads.

Another problem with NCLB, from a parents POV, is that teachers are forced to only teach what they know will be on the test. At least in FL, they don't teach history anymore or social studies. She gets reading, math, science and language arts. It's pitiful.

Speaking as a parent whose own daughter was in the first group to be caught by the NCLB law I think it needs to be completely repealed. My daughter became ill in 1st grade and had neurological damage which caused her to have a short term memory problem which meant she couldn't remember what she read and when she took the FCAT standardized test she failed it because by the time she would finish reading the question she forgot what she read. They make no exceptions for this disability and even though she could read she still failed the 3rd grade simply by failing one test. When they read her the questions and she was able to answer it right away she passed the test with flying colors.

I had to threaten to sue the school board to get her tested for a learning disability and get her specialized help to deal with her disability. I also paid for a private tutor and now she's a straight A student who reads better than most of her peers and retains every bit of information she reads.

Another problem with NCLB, from a parents POV, is that teachers are forced to only teach what they know will be on the test. At least in FL, they don't teach history anymore or social studies. She gets reading, math, science and language arts. It's pitiful.

The teachers in Flordia have time to teach SCIENCE! ;)

Glad you got your daughter the help she needed Silence. It's a slippery slope, this NCLB Law~it has many good aspects to it, but it also needs to be retooled by REAL TEACHERS!

I nominate Kathianne to be the Committee Chair! :D (really,she would be great!)

The teachers in Flordia have time to teach SCIENCE! ;)

Glad you got your daughter the help she needed Silence. It's a slippery slope, this NCLB Law~it has many good aspects to it, but it also needs to be retooled by REAL TEACHERS!

I nominate Kathianne to be the Committee Chair! :D (really,she would be great!)

I'm not sure if I'd say they "teach" Echo as much as try to drill the test questions into the kids' heads so they pass. Like you, they are penalized if the students fail the test. Schools are graded and funding is based on those grades. We have a hard time getting good teachers because they are paid crap wages considering their responsibility to build the future leaders of our country.

It is a slippery slope and I'm glad they did away with social promotions because too many kids slipped through the cracks unable to read or do simple math but they sweep everyone up in the same net, treating all kids as one and that just doesn't work.

Silence, I'm so sorry that happened to your little girl. Damn that illness causes a child or more likely parent to feel like 'something' is wrong. Really, unlikely anything is. Without the illness, meaning all things being equal, it's one test, one day. That is all. Especially in k-3. No more than that. I teach the older kids, never once in 10 years has a high school asked for scores beyond 7th grade. (Meaning 1 year). If we think there is a kid that bombed in 7th, (few), we'll tell the hs that the may want other standardized grades. They always say yes.

Be nice to your middle school teachers. ;)

I don’t mean to hijack your post, but since you brought it up, how can we implement some standard that kids need to meet in order to graduate and still make sure the system is fair?

It's been enlightening reading the last several posts, including yours. Some heartbreaking, some that give hope. I believe we must have some system of testing of curriculum, students, and teachers. It's our starting point. But it seems that the educrats have come up with a one-size-fits-all that doesn't.

There has to be some way to compare apples to apples, no offense meant to our children. Comparisons have to be made on an IQ or grade-level basis. Exceptions have to be made for those with disabilities. God bless the parents who have more on their shoulders than others.

If it was up to me the schools would not be as top heavy. More teaching should be dedicated to areas where it is needed. I would also make sure that discipline was reimposed in our schools. Children who can't handle the school situation should be elsewhere.

Today's paper reported orgasmically that Obama's first executive orders will be to fund fetal stem cell research and then ban oil and gas drilling.

Both appease his far left base and are technologically without merit. The drilling thing will increase fuel costs, weaken the US and embolden our enemies. So far he's right on track to Carter II. :clap2:

Well Carter's energy policy was well ahead of its time. Calling it the greatest challenege our country faces he was laughed at by republicans. Now look, even GWB admits our lack of energy policy has crippled our ability and left us dependent on foreign enemies.

"We simply must balance our demand for energy with our rapidly shrinking resources. By acting now, we can control our future instead of letting the future control us." Carter bluntly pointed out that: "The most important thing about these proposals is that the alternative may be a national catastrophe. Further delay can affect our strength and our power as a nation." He called the new energy policy he was proposing, "[T]he 'moral equivalent of war' -- except that we will be uniting our efforts to build and not destroy."

I'd say bk whathave you is a fuktard.

Yeah let's go back to the Carter years. Double digit inflation, double digit unemployment....

He has a D after his name, though, so he must have been a good president.

Well Carter's energy policy was well ahead of its time. Calling it the greatest challenege our country faces he was laughed at by republicans. Now look, even GWB admits our lack of energy policy has crippled our ability and left us dependent on foreign enemies.

"We simply must balance our demand for energy with our rapidly shrinking resources. By acting now, we can control our future instead of letting the future control us." Carter bluntly pointed out that: "The most important thing about these proposals is that the alternative may be a national catastrophe. Further delay can affect our strength and our power as a nation." He called the new energy policy he was proposing, "[T]he 'moral equivalent of war' -- except that we will be uniting our efforts to build and not destroy."
:lol: Yeah Carter was such a great guy. :lol:

Today's paper reported orgasmically that Obama's first executive orders will be to fund fetal stem cell research and then ban oil and gas drilling.

Both appease his far left base and are technologically without merit. The drilling thing will increase fuel costs, weaken the US and embolden our enemies. So far he's right on track to Carter II. :clap2:

Actually, wingnut, both dems and republicans voted for stem cell research because THEIR CONSTITUENTS DEMAND IT. Bush VETOED it to appease the rabid right.

It's the first thing he SHOULD do. And yes, he should reinstate daddy bush's ban on drilling. Let the oil companies first drill on the leases they have now.

Actually, wingnut, both dems and republicans voted for stem cell research because THEIR CONSTITUENTS DEMAND IT. Bush VETOED it to appease the rabid right.

It's the first thing he SHOULD do. And yes, he should reinstate daddy bush's ban on drilling. Let the oil companies first drill on the leases they have now.

Yes, liberals, do this. Say "fuck you" to human life, and tell the oil companies that you know better than their geologists where to drill. Bankrupt our ethics and our economy. Watch what happens next.

:lol: Yeah Carter was such a great guy. :lol:

He will be considered a God when compared to the ultra right 8 year failure of "dubya" And his administration will be the laughing stock of the world :lol::muahaha:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back