Obama’s $400,000 Cantor Speech Makes Him Wall Street's Newest Fat Cat

Is this the new pay to play strategy? Reward a politician AFTER his term? Would avoid illegal payment laws wouldn't it?

When he was president he called them “fat cats,” but now he’s likely thanking them for a huge payday.

Former President Barack Obama, less than 100 days out of office, has agreed to speak at a Wall Street conference run by Cantor Fitzgerald LP, senior people at the firm confirm to FOX Business. His speaking fee will be $400,000, which is nearly twice as much as Hillary Clinton, his secretary of state, and the 2016 Democratic Party candidate, charged private businesses for such events.

Obama has agreed to speak at Cantor’s health care conference in September and will be the keynote luncheon speaker for one day during the event, people at the firm tell FOX Business. These people say Obama has signed the contract, but the company, a mid-sized New York-based investment bank, is waiting to coordinate with the former president before making a formal announcement.

These people add that Obama could ultimately back out of the arrangement depending on his schedule and other concerns such as adverse publicity.

A spokesman for the former president didn’t return a call for comment; a spokeswoman for Cantor said the firm is not in a position to comment just yet, but would not deny that Obama has agreed to speak to the firm and at the $400,000 fee.

News of Obama’s speaking deal with Cantor, which had yet to be reported, comes as the former president made on Monday his first public comments since leaving office after an extended vacation. In those comments to college students at the University of Chicago, the president spoke broadly about the need for public service and studiously avoided any mention of the current president, Republican Donald Trump, or how he intends to make a living now that he’s a private citizen.

I mean, a President runs one of the biggest and most powerful companies for 8 years and earns a lot, LOT less than CEOs of many companies much smaller. One of the perks of the job is to earn shit loads AFTERWARDS.

All of a sudden the right have a problem with people earning money, especially black people.

Why would you bring race into this discussion? Is that the alt-left knee jerk anytime one questioned their party? I suppose my questions about Hillarys Foundation had to do with her being a woman. I supported Obama as president, doesn't mean I hold him to a standard that circumvents the laws and potential conflicts of interest.

The question is, what is acceptable as a leader? Government should be about duty not about making ridiculous money during and after. If they are being paid these fees the question has to be asked, were these promised payments after his role in order to avoid legal problems?

Noone gets a free pass if you want to maintain your liberties.

WTF are you talking about? There is a guy in the White House who is using his privately owned businesses to profit from the office of President and you're bitching that the guy who held the job for 8 years without using it as a cash cow, is now making big bucks?

Your priorities are completely screwed up.

After calling Wall Street exec's "fat cats" for 8 years Obama is now charging them $400,000 for a single speech, that's more per hour than any CEO earns. That's $832 million a year, OH THE HYPOCRISY of the left. That he's taking money from the very "fat cats" he scorned is complete hypocrisy. Do you corporation hating libs feel betrayed? :laugh:
Yeah, all you'd have to do is book and then conduct 2000 speeches a year. This probably seems quite feasible in far right tardland.

Joeabnormal- you get 1 point for being the first Lib to show up on the thread, but you get dinged 1000 points for an extremely lame retort.
Joeabnormal... OMG, the originality! You really are a bucktoothed moron aren't you.

Is this the new pay to play strategy? Reward a politician AFTER his term? Would avoid illegal payment laws wouldn't it?

When he was president he called them “fat cats,” but now he’s likely thanking them for a huge payday.

Former President Barack Obama, less than 100 days out of office, has agreed to speak at a Wall Street conference run by Cantor Fitzgerald LP, senior people at the firm confirm to FOX Business. His speaking fee will be $400,000, which is nearly twice as much as Hillary Clinton, his secretary of state, and the 2016 Democratic Party candidate, charged private businesses for such events.

Obama has agreed to speak at Cantor’s health care conference in September and will be the keynote luncheon speaker for one day during the event, people at the firm tell FOX Business. These people say Obama has signed the contract, but the company, a mid-sized New York-based investment bank, is waiting to coordinate with the former president before making a formal announcement.

These people add that Obama could ultimately back out of the arrangement depending on his schedule and other concerns such as adverse publicity.

A spokesman for the former president didn’t return a call for comment; a spokeswoman for Cantor said the firm is not in a position to comment just yet, but would not deny that Obama has agreed to speak to the firm and at the $400,000 fee.

News of Obama’s speaking deal with Cantor, which had yet to be reported, comes as the former president made on Monday his first public comments since leaving office after an extended vacation. In those comments to college students at the University of Chicago, the president spoke broadly about the need for public service and studiously avoided any mention of the current president, Republican Donald Trump, or how he intends to make a living now that he’s a private citizen.

I mean, a President runs one of the biggest and most powerful companies for 8 years and earns a lot, LOT less than CEOs of many companies much smaller. One of the perks of the job is to earn shit loads AFTERWARDS.

All of a sudden the right have a problem with people earning money, especially black people.

Why would you bring race into this discussion? Is that the alt-left knee jerk anytime one questioned their party? I suppose my questions about Hillarys Foundation had to do with her being a woman. I supported Obama as president, doesn't mean I hold him to a standard that circumvents the laws and potential conflicts of interest.

The question is, what is acceptable as a leader? Government should be about duty not about making ridiculous money during and after. If they are being paid these fees the question has to be asked, were these promised payments after his role in order to avoid legal problems?

Why is race apart of this discussion? Next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps because there are racists in the US. When there stops being racists in the US, then people can stop talking about race.
Never gonna happen in our life time or never.

Why is race apart of this discussion? Next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps because there are racists in the US. When there stops being racists in the US, then people can stop talking about race.
Never gonna happen in our life time or never.

So then we're going to continue to see race brought up when it becomes an issue.

Thread has been cleaned up. Stick to the topic and stop insulting each other, please. Thanks
You took down my post telling Offensively Open Minded that his off topic posts were annoying, and then you left Mudwhistle saying "Suck my root"?
Good job. :lmao:

upload_2017-4-28_0-33-8.jpeg

I have some beets you could suck on... They're supposed to be good for your blood pressure and they'll leave your lips a beautiful bright red.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

??? $400K doesn't make one a "fat cat" on Wall St. It may make one a "fat cat" upon one's departure from The Street, but not on The Street.

WTF are you talking about? There is a guy in the White House who is using his privately owned businesses to profit from the office of President and you're bitching that the guy who held the job for 8 years without using it as a cash cow, is now making big bucks?

Your priorities are completely screwed up.

" It makes for a nice payday: $400,000. The Washington Post pleaded with the president to rethink this decision, noting that it would be hypocritical due to Obama’s mostly anti-Wall Street rhetoric during his presidency. Moreover, it would only give Democrats more grief, with yet another party heavyweight cuddling up to Wall Street.

At Vox, Matt Yglesias warned that the $400,000 speech will “undermine everything he [Obama] believes in.”

In an unpaid speaking appearance earlier this week at the University of Chicago, Obama demonstrated his enduring faith in both the American people and his brand of politics. He explained that the progressive views of younger Americans give him hope and that he wants to make it the primary mission of his post-presidency to break down the barriers that dissuade young people from participating in political life.
It's a fine vision, one that successfully walks the line between post-presidential high-mindedness and partisan politics.

Obama should take seriously the message it sends to those young people if he decides to make a career out of buckraking. He knows that Hillary Clinton isn't popular with the youth cohort the way he is. And he knows that populists on both the left and the right want to make a sweeping ideological critique of all center-left politics, not just a narrow personal one of Clinton. Does Obama want them to win that battle and carry the day with the message that mainstream politics is just a moneymaking hustle?

Of course, it's just one speech. Nothing is irrevocable about one speech. But money doesn't get any easier to turn down with time, any more than rebuking friends and colleagues gets easier. To make his post-presidency a success, Obama should give this money to some good cause and then swear off these gigs entirely."
Vox: Obama's $400,000 Wall Street Speaking Gig Will 'Undermine Everything He Believes In'

How come right wingers don't complain when W or Cheney get hundreds of thousands in speaking fees? It was only when Hillary and now Obama get big bucks that it's so awful.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Because the right doesn't whine to their base about success, wealth or profit....you moron.

Amazing....their elites slap them in the face, and the morons say 'Please, sir...may I have another???'

"In Chicago, Obama tells young leaders that ‘special interests dominate the debates in Washington’
In Chicago, Obama tells young leaders that ‘special interests dominate the debates in Washington’

C-QP1CjXYAAj-ce.jpg:large

Follow
Jeff Stein

✔@JStein_Vox

This is what Obama said literally the same day his $400K Wall Street speech was revealed. The, er, um ... audacity

7:09 AM - 25 Apr 2017

Obama treats his base in exactly the way they deserve to be treated: as total dunces.

Forum List

Back