Obama’s $400,000 Cantor Speech Makes Him Wall Street's Newest Fat Cat

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Is this the new pay to play strategy? Reward a politician AFTER his term? Would avoid illegal payment laws wouldn't it?

When he was president he called them “fat cats,” but now he’s likely thanking them for a huge payday.

Former President Barack Obama, less than 100 days out of office, has agreed to speak at a Wall Street conference run by Cantor Fitzgerald LP, senior people at the firm confirm to FOX Business. His speaking fee will be $400,000, which is nearly twice as much as Hillary Clinton, his secretary of state, and the 2016 Democratic Party candidate, charged private businesses for such events.

Obama has agreed to speak at Cantor’s health care conference in September and will be the keynote luncheon speaker for one day during the event, people at the firm tell FOX Business. These people say Obama has signed the contract, but the company, a mid-sized New York-based investment bank, is waiting to coordinate with the former president before making a formal announcement.

These people add that Obama could ultimately back out of the arrangement depending on his schedule and other concerns such as adverse publicity.

A spokesman for the former president didn’t return a call for comment; a spokeswoman for Cantor said the firm is not in a position to comment just yet, but would not deny that Obama has agreed to speak to the firm and at the $400,000 fee.

News of Obama’s speaking deal with Cantor, which had yet to be reported, comes as the former president made on Monday his first public comments since leaving office after an extended vacation. In those comments to college students at the University of Chicago, the president spoke broadly about the need for public service and studiously avoided any mention of the current president, Republican Donald Trump, or how he intends to make a living now that he’s a private citizen.

Yes, like his predecessors, Obama is going to make loads of money off the Mashed-Potato Circuit.

Is this the new pay to play strategy? Reward a politician AFTER his term? Would avoid illegal payment laws wouldn't it?

When he was president he called them “fat cats,” but now he’s likely thanking them for a huge payday.

Former President Barack Obama, less than 100 days out of office, has agreed to speak at a Wall Street conference run by Cantor Fitzgerald LP, senior people at the firm confirm to FOX Business. His speaking fee will be $400,000, which is nearly twice as much as Hillary Clinton, his secretary of state, and the 2016 Democratic Party candidate, charged private businesses for such events.

Obama has agreed to speak at Cantor’s health care conference in September and will be the keynote luncheon speaker for one day during the event, people at the firm tell FOX Business. These people say Obama has signed the contract, but the company, a mid-sized New York-based investment bank, is waiting to coordinate with the former president before making a formal announcement.

These people add that Obama could ultimately back out of the arrangement depending on his schedule and other concerns such as adverse publicity.

A spokesman for the former president didn’t return a call for comment; a spokeswoman for Cantor said the firm is not in a position to comment just yet, but would not deny that Obama has agreed to speak to the firm and at the $400,000 fee.

News of Obama’s speaking deal with Cantor, which had yet to be reported, comes as the former president made on Monday his first public comments since leaving office after an extended vacation. In those comments to college students at the University of Chicago, the president spoke broadly about the need for public service and studiously avoided any mention of the current president, Republican Donald Trump, or how he intends to make a living now that he’s a private citizen.

I mean, a President runs one of the biggest and most powerful companies for 8 years and earns a lot, LOT less than CEOs of many companies much smaller. One of the perks of the job is to earn shit loads AFTERWARDS.

All of a sudden the right have a problem with people earning money, especially black people.

I mean, a President runs one of the biggest and most powerful companies for 8 years and earns a lot, LOT less than CEOs of many companies much smaller. One of the perks of the job is to earn shit loads AFTERWARDS.

All of a sudden the right have a problem with people earning money, especially black people.

Why would you bring race into this discussion? Is that the alt-left knee jerk anytime one questioned their party? I suppose my questions about Hillarys Foundation had to do with her being a woman. I supported Obama as president, doesn't mean I hold him to a standard that circumvents the laws and potential conflicts of interest.

The question is, what is acceptable as a leader? Government should be about duty not about making ridiculous money during and after. If they are being paid these fees the question has to be asked, were these promised payments after his role in order to avoid legal problems?

Noone gets a free pass if you want to maintain your liberties.

Do you understand that you are bitching about The Free Market?

If you wanted to draw the Manhattan heavies to your event, who is the ne plus ultra lead pipe cinch attraction?

How hot do you believe the bidding is for his presence? We aren't talking about an Unvarnished Disaster who left the Ship of State sinking and burning, with the lowest JARs for any exiting POTUS in history.

President Obama is a Rock Star now

Free to charge what the market will bear. Shit....even Sarah Palin made a fortune on the speaking circuit

Last edited:
President Obama is a Rock Star now

Free to charge what the market will bear. Shit....even Sarah Palin made money on the speaking circuit
Hell....accommodating corporate douches put Scrub on the ALEC circuit......where he could mumble incoherently before friendly, and heavily sedated, audiences.

If you wanted to draw the Manhattan heavies to your event, who is the ne plus ultra lead pipe cinch attraction?

How hot do you believe the bidding is for his presence? We aren't talking about an Unvarnished Disaster who left the Ship of State sinking and burning, with the lowest JARs for any exiting POTUS in history.

Would it be the Free Market, if Obama had say, a Foundation which he was running as president and accepting donations from foreign governments?

Let me tell you, America is walking a line and it's not even fine in these cases. I don't think Obama sold influence while he was president, but the optics alone aren't good. The possibility of future leaders operating in such a manner exclusively for personal gain without punishment or oversight is much higher today than ever.

Why would you bring race into this discussion? Is that the alt-left knee jerk anytime one questioned their party? I suppose my questions about Hillarys Foundation had to do with her being a woman. I supported Obama as president, doesn't mean I hold him to a standard that circumvents the laws and potential conflicts of interest.

The question is, what is acceptable as a leader? Government should be about duty not about making ridiculous money during and after. If they are being paid these fees the question has to be asked, were these promised payments after his role in order to avoid legal problems?

Why would I bring race into this? Er... because race has been in this for hundreds of years. Why would you have me ignore something that is true, simply because you're not comfortable with it?

Why would I bring race into this? Er... because race has been in this for hundreds of years. Why would you have me ignore something that is true, simply because you're not comfortable with it?

I'm not comfortable with the accusation. You pick and choose an identity factor in an effort to weaken an argument. I care little about race, clearly you care too much about it and then have the gaul to try and project this upon me.

You;re embarrassing to attempt this and with a straight face at that.

He also called them responsible for the housing crisis. Blamed them for the recession. Demonized
Wall Street for destroying Main Street. Incited class warfare. But one thing he didn't do - send any of them to jail.

So...
a) he was in league with the 'fat cats'
or..
b) they were red herrings.

But I'm pleased as punch that he and Michelle are finally proud of their country, unabashedly reaping the financial rewards of capitalism. ;)

I don't see where he's doing anything wrong. Honestly, I'm not saying that as a blind partisan supporter, either. No, he wasn't promised speaking engagements after he left office. There are still people -- quite a lot of people, actually, at this point -- who are interested in what an INTELLIGENT liberal point of view is on the world right now. People who aren't impressed with Schumer's tears or Water's screeches of "Impeach him!"
Obama was a community organizer at the beginning and he has never really changed--he wants to change the world in a way that he feels will be of benefit to all. I'm glad he's still talking to people and I'm glad he's still interested in saving our sorry butts.

Would it be the Free Market, if Obama had say, a Foundation which he was running as president and accepting donations from foreign governments?

Let me tell you, America is walking a line and it's not even fine in these cases. I don't think Obama sold influence while he was president, but the optics alone aren't good. The possibility of future leaders operating in such a manner exclusively for personal gain without punishment or oversight is much higher today than ever.
From one mindless trope to another....

He doesn't....it's not an issue.......it wasn't an issue with the Clinton's either, the hysterical baying of right wing media notwithstanding.

Ronald Reagan walked out of office and directly into a 1 million dollar speaking tour of Japan.....and that was in 1989 dollars.....

I'm not comfortable with the accusation. You pick and choose an identity factor in an effort to weaken an argument. I care little about race, clearly you care too much about it and then have the gaul to try and project this upon me.

You;re embarrassing to attempt this and with a straight face at that.

So, you're not comfortable with the fact that there are many people in the US who simply don't like black people. What can I do? Come on here and pretend it doesn't happen so you get a nice warm fuzzy feeling? Er... no.

If you think me bring up something that is true and relevant weakens your argument, then perhaps you need a better argument.

So, you care little about race. So what? Do I care about race? Yes, but I wish I didn't have to. This is about me seeing race as a problem in certain parts of society, namely among those who do see people of different races, and decide they should be treated differently, usually worse, just for that reason. I think it's ridiculous, but it's there. I wish it weren't there, but it is there.

You think I'm embarrassing, so what? Me saying the truth is embarrassing? Oh, let's just make shit up to make you feel less embarrassed. No.

Forum List

Back