Obama trip to Africa June 26 could cost $60 to $100 million

It's all about the pie, hey Chelly?

The notion that Obama is spending $100 million on a family vacation trip is highly intellectually dishonest.

if its government business why doesn't he go by himself? If its a diplomatic trip why take the wife and kids? why go on tours? We all know what this is, but you obama worshipers refuse to admit it to yourselves.

if its government business why doesn't he go by himself? If its a diplomatic trip why take the wife and kids? why go on tours? We all know what this is, but you obama worshipers refuse to admit it to yourselves.

It is a very important presidential trip for him. FLOTUS (The First Lady) Is also highly involved in African developmental projects such as AWEP. It has been a big ticket item for her and it makes sense that she accompany him on it. African leaders have done the same before when visiting the US (I've planned such visits before).

Simply calling it a vacation is simply intentionally dishonest. If President Obama is such a bad leader then you shouldn't have to stoop to such levels in order to criticize his administration. Stuff like this just makes you seem desperate.

It is a very important presidential trip for him. FLOTUS (The First Lady) Is also highly involved in African developmental projects such as AWEP. It has been a big ticket item for her and it makes sense that she accompany him on it. African leaders have done the same before when visiting the US (I've planned such visits before).

Simply calling it a vacation is simply intentionally dishonest. If President Obama is such a bad leader then you shouldn't have to stoop to such levels in order to criticize his administration. Stuff like this just makes you seem desperate.

It is done to point out the hypocrisy of obama and this administration. He claims we are broke, cannot do whitehouse tours, cannot provide hot meals to soldiers in afghanistan, have to furlough air traffic controllers, have to cut the hours of govt employees----but yet, there is plenty of money for his trips and parties with the hollywood elite.

obama is not the commander in chief, he is the hypocrite in chief.

I still think Obama's marriage has been on the rocks since he was a senator and lived alone in D.C. I guess what the wife wants she gets.......

This IS NOT MISSION ESSENTIAL. while sailors, soldiers, marines and airman can't get hot meals. Not enough ammo for the ARMY trainee's in BCT. Yet this dictator has the you know what to make this trip.

What about the children denied a White House class tour?

Piss poor leader. Hope he get's the runs while he's there.

-Geaux

It is done to point out the hypocrisy of obama and this administration. He claims we are broke, cannot do whitehouse tours, cannot provide hot meals to soldiers in afghanistan, have to furlough air traffic controllers, have to cut the hours of govt employees----but yet, there is plenty of money for his trips and parties with the hollywood elite.

A couple of comments here:

1.) We DO have large deficits and they have long been a concern for us (across administrations)

2.) This isn't a "party' this is a highly important US diplomatic trip for the United States. It in part has to do with competition with China, but good will tours of key areas is pretty important for us to engage in even absent of direct competition from China. This tour comes on the back of a Chinese tour of Africa. It's good for Obama to be seen with his family there and these side events create much needed photo ops for use in foreign media. It is good PR.

3.) Making sure we maintain a good image in Africa is good for our economy.

1.) We DO have large deficits and they have long been a concern for us (across administrations)

2.) This isn't a "party' this is a highly important US diplomatic trip for the United States. It in part has to do with competition with China, but good will tours of key areas is pretty important for us to engage in even absent of direct competition from China. This tour comes on the back of a Chinese tour of Africa. It's good for Obama to be seen with his family there and these side events create much needed photo ops for use in foreign media. It is good PR.

:cuckoo:

-Geaux

:cuckoo:

-Geaux

And which part exactly do you think is wrong?

"Seem" desperate??

Oh, they are and have been for a few years now.

Didnt you just say its not the number of countries but the number of trips? o_O

This trip is as much a work related trip as a family vacation. The vast majority of costs are security and travel, and that is unavoidable for any POTUS.

But one source I looked at pegged Obama's last trip to Israel at $11 mllion. The costs of travel shouldn't be much different than going to sub-Sahara Africa and I would think security concerns would have been at maximum.

Why would you think a trip to Israel should cost the same as one to Africa?

"The Washington Post story didn’t say that Obama’s trip will cost $100 million, but that the trip could cost $60-100 million, and that the cost was based on similar African trips made in recent years, “Obama’s trip could cost the federal government $60 million to $100 million based on the costs of similar African trips in recent years, according to one person familiar with the journey, who was not authorized to speak for attribution.”

President Obama hasn’t made any trips to Africa, except a 22 hour stopover in Ghana in 2009, so it is pretty clear that Secret Service is basing their cost estimate on the cost of the Bush trips. Since George W. Bush made two presidential trips to Africa, it is likely that he spent more money in today’s dollars as President Obama will on his trip."

Cost of Obama's Trip is Dwarfed By George And Laura Bush's Africa Spending Spree

"Even in the most developed places of Western Europe, the level of support you need for mass movements by the president is really extraordinary,” explains Steve Atkiss, who served as a special assistant for operations to George W. Bush. The U.S. government typically relies on first-rate hospital and police support on trips to developed nations, but supplies more of its own resources while traveling through lesser-developed parts of the world.... President Clinton's 1998 trip cost an estimated $42.7 million..."

Obama Africa Trip 2013: Why Obama?s $100 Million African Trip Isn?t a Big Deal

So no, traveling through Africa is not the same as traveling in Israel.

Nor did I say it did. But should it cost 10 times as much if the high end of that estimate is the accurate one? Geez Amy, I accept you are far left of me and I know you love the guy, but I didn't expect you to go to ultra leftwing sites that use Media Matters as the source of their information to make a point. I can go to ultra rightwing sites and find all sorts of ways to distort what Obama has done and draw ridiculous comparisons too.

Anyway everybody is missing the point. When so many of us are having to adjust and adapt our lifestyles to cope with very difficult economic times, it helps to know that the First Family sees and understands that and doesn't throw an apparently lavish lifestyle in our faces. Most especially a lavish lifestyle that we, our children, and our grandchildren are expected to pay for.

If Clinton did that, it doesn't excuse Bush. If Bush did that, it doesn't excuse Obama. Is it too much for us to expect our elected leaders to tighten their belts along with the rest of us when the nation is hurting?

But one source I looked at pegged Obama's last trip to Israel at $11 mllion. The costs of travel shouldn't be much different than going to sub-Sahara Africa and I would think security concerns would have been at maximum.

"The Washington Post story didn’t say that Obama’s trip will cost $100 million, but that the trip could cost $60-100 million, and that the cost was based on similar African trips made in recent years, “Obama’s trip could cost the federal government $60 million to $100 million based on the costs of similar African trips in recent years, according to one person familiar with the journey, who was not authorized to speak for attribution.”

President Obama hasn’t made any trips to Africa, except a 22 hour stopover in Ghana in 2009, so it is pretty clear that Secret Service is basing their cost estimate on the cost of the Bush trips. Since George W. Bush made two presidential trips to Africa, it is likely that he spent more money in today’s dollars as President Obama will on his trip."

Cost of Obama's Trip is Dwarfed By George And Laura Bush's Africa Spending Spree

"Even in the most developed places of Western Europe, the level of support you need for mass movements by the president is really extraordinary,” explains Steve Atkiss, who served as a special assistant for operations to George W. Bush. The U.S. government typically relies on first-rate hospital and police support on trips to developed nations, but supplies more of its own resources while traveling through lesser-developed parts of the world.... President Clinton's 1998 trip cost an estimated $42.7 million..."

Nor did I say it did. But should it cost 10 times as much if the high end of that estimate is the accurate one? Geez Amy, I accept you are far left of me and I know you love the guy, but I didn't expect you to go to ultra leftwing sites that use Media Matters as the source of their information to make a point. I can go to ultra rightwing sites and find all sorts of ways to distort what Obama has done and draw ridiculous comparisons too.

Anyway everybody is missing the point. When so many of us are having to adjust and adapt our lifestyles to cope with very difficult economic times, it helps to know that the First Family sees and understands that and doesn't throw an apparently lavish lifestyle in our faces. Most especially a lavish lifestyle that we, our children, and our grandchildren are expected to pay for.

If Clinton did that, it doesn't excuse Bush. If Bush did that, it doesn't excuse Obama. Is it too much for us to expect our elected leaders to tighten their belts along with the rest of us when the nation is hurting?

And I know you dislike the guy but I didn't expect you to toss out your common sense to make a point.

When our president travels abroad we heavily rely on the countires hes visiting for security, hospitality, and medical care( should the need arise). The location of the countries as well as their ability to help protect our POTUS is what determines the majority of the cost of most visits.

I'm sorry you can't seem to grasp that.

Israel is not the same as developing African nations. It's simply not. The cost of this visit is being based of the cost of previous POTUS visits to the region, aka Bush visits.

If you can find anything, besides your "feeling" it should cost less, that shows that the president and his family are blowing the cost out of the water to live high on the hog Id be happy to read it.:)

The trip to attend the G8 in Ireland is part of obama's job. The European tour for his entire family is not. And, even when obama is supposed to be doing his job, he still complains that he has to do boring stuff like meetings when he should be playing golf.

There is no reason why obama cannot get on AF1, attend the G8 ALONE and then come back without the tourism for himself and his entourage.

And I know you dislike the guy but I didn't expect you to toss out your common sense to make a point.

When our president travels abroad we heavily rely on the countires hes visiting for security, hospitality, and medical care( should the need arise). The location of the countries as well as their ability to help protect our POTUS is what determines the majority of the cost of most visits.

I'm sorry you can't seem to grasp that.

Israel is not the same as developing African nations. It's simply not. The cost of this visit is being based of the cost of previous POTUS visits to the region, aka Bush visits.

If you can find anything, besides your "feeling" it should cost less, that shows that the president and his family are blowing the cost out of the water to live high on the hog Id be happy to read it.:)

Actually I don't dislike the guy. And the point I was making went sailing right over your head.

Forum List

Back