Obama Takes Over...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Obama sets up clash with Congress over Recess Appointments.

Defying Congress, President Obama used his recess appointment powers Wednesday to name a head for the controversial Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and three new members to the National Labor Relations board — moves Republican senators said amounted to a constitutional power grab.

The president acted just a day after the Senate held a session, breaking with at least three different precedents that said the Senate must be in recess for at least three days for a recess appointment. Mr. Obama himself was part of two of those precedents, both during his own time in the Senate and again in 2010 when one of his administration’s top constitutional lawyers made the three-day argument to the Supreme Court.

Mr. Obama tapped Richard Cordray to head the CFPB and named three others to the labor board — all of which had been stymied by congressional Republicans who said Mr. Obama is accruing too much power to himself through those two agencies.

“Although the Senate is not in recess, President Obama, in an unprecedented move, has arrogantly circumvented the American people,” said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, Kentucky Republican.

GOP House Speaker John A. Boehner called the move “an extraordinary and entirely unprecedented power grab by President Obama that defies centuries of practice and the legal advice of his own Justice Department.”

Read More:
Obama sets up clash with Congress over recess appointments - Washington Times
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

Well Boehner would say that, even though I'm sure he knows he's not exactly telling the truth.

President William J. Clinton made 139 recess appointments, 95 to full-time positions. President
George W. Bush made 171 recess appointments, of which 99 were to full-time positions.2 As of
December 8, 2011, President Barack Obama had made 28 recess appointments, all to full-time
positions.

http://www.senate.gov/CRSReports/crs-publish.cfm?pid='0DP+P\W; P

FYI, Ronald Reagan had 240!

Well Boehner would say that, even though I'm sure he knows he's not exactly telling the truth.

President William J. Clinton made 139 recess appointments, 95 to full-time positions. President
George W. Bush made 171 recess appointments, of which 99 were to full-time positions.2 As of
December 8, 2011, President Barack Obama had made 28 recess appointments, all to full-time
positions.

http://www.senate.gov/CRSReports/crs-publish.cfm?pid='0DP+P\W; P

FYI, Ronald Reagan had 240!

It's not just the Recess Appointments themselves. It's how he's doing them. But he was supposedly vehemently opposed to them in the past. I'm not too concerned with that bit of dishonesty & hypocrisy though. Because i always knew "Hope & Change" was Bullshit.

He's obama chavez now! I hope democrats like living in a dictatorship as much as they thought they would.

He's obama chavez now! I hope democrats like living in a dictatorship as much as they thought they would.

Well they will like it for now. Because right now it's a Democrat Dictator. But their feelings will definitely change pretty dramatically when a Republican gets back in the White House. Stay tuned.

Obama went out of his way to take a slap at our duly elected legislature.

He conspicuously passed on making those appointments when the Senate was in recess yesterday (Obama Skips Chance To Appoint Richard Cordray To Consumer Protection Agency). He just wants photo ops for his campaign narrative. A chance to grandstand and pretend to be a friend of the people when in fact he is insulting the people by going out of his way to defy our elected representatives.

Stunts ... that's all he has. Leadership is a foreign word to him.

I pray the nation sees through him. I'm not at all sure the masses will. But luckily now that there is no "history" to be made, many of the more ignorant people who voted for this clown in 2008 are likely to stay home in 2012.

Obama went out of his way to take a slap at our duly elected legislature.

He conspicuously passed on making those appointments when the Senate was in recess yesterday (Obama Skips Chance To Appoint Richard Cordray To Consumer Protection Agency). He just wants photo ops for his campaign narrative. A chance to grandstand and pretend to be a friend of the people when in fact he is insulting the people by going out of his way to defy our elected representatives.

Stunts ... that's all he has. Leadership is a foreign word to him.

I pray the nation sees through him. I'm not at all sure the masses will. But luckily now that there is no "history" to be made, many of the more ignorant people who voted for this clown in 2008 are likely to stay home in 2012.

They might HAVE to stay home in 2012 because there won't be any gas to put in the car to go vote.

Guess it's kind of like his vacations

They only object when Obama takes them

thats because what you are complaining about is a fraction of the appointments Bush did this way which you assholes defended at the time.

Ahh the joys of "Hope & Change"...Recess Appointments,Signing Statements,Patriot Act,GITMO,NDAA,SOPA,Raising Debt Limits,Rampant Cronyism,War,Wide Open Borders,and so on and so on...Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

thats because what you are complaining about is a fraction of the appointments Bush did this way which you assholes defended at the time.

I never complained about Bush doing this.

Then again you still haven't gotten the point that they're not complaining about the appointments, just how they were went about.

I'm just here to point out the obvious: your "when it doubt blame the other guy" strategy.

Ahh the joys of "Hope & Change"...Recess Appointments,Signing Statements,Patriot Act,GITMO,NDAA,SOPA,Raising Debt Limits,Rampant Cronyism,War,Wide Open Borders,and so on and so on...Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

The biggest accomplishment of this administration is giving the "gay community" a month, opening the doors to the states teaching kids in school about "LGBT History"... starting with... Genesis 19.:lol:

It's Bush's fault Obama has such a flagrant disregard for the law, for tradition, for his promises, and for his own past statements on what would be good policy.

Don't you know that by now?

It's Bush's fault Obama has such a flagrant disregard for the law, for tradition, for his promises, and for his own past statements on what would be good policy.

Don't you know that by now?

Yup.

Signing statements are not supposed to replace legislation. That's what obaabaa has done.

Forum List

Back