Obama plans to expand overtime eligibility for millions of workers

Maybe Obama should then pass a law that requires lower managers to get educated.

:lol: That's the spirit! Anyone can be stuck at work for 60 hrs a week at $23k a year, and still find plenty of room in their schedule and their budget to go back to school and get their college degree. It's only the reasonable thing to do.

The increase in pay will result in increased spending creating more demand so that these businesses wont have to limit hours or depend on more part time workers.....lmfao!

Maybe Obama should then pass a law that requires lower managers to get educated.

:lol: That's the spirit! Anyone can be stuck at work for 60 hrs a week at $23k a year, and still find plenty of room in their schedule and their budget to go back to school and get their college degree. It's only the reasonable thing to do.

I think I was saying that they should get educated against being screwed. I didn't say go back to college.

Sorry for the confusion.

But it will cost more if you can't use some of your employees as slave labour...

Listen, Profit is the Almighty... We should treat people like sh*t because it is profitable...

There is no need for fairness as employers are deities of the Profit...

I know some are going to say that is is worshiping Greed. Greed is just a parayer to Profit...

These are just sacrifies to Profit...

I can't understand how quickly conservatives throw workers under the bus....If you won't work for free. find a job somewhere else

They always bitch about the number of people freeloading on society....but when employers freeload off of free labor...they defend it

and the price of everything you buy will go up. businesses will lose sales and have to reduce employment. How exactly is it better to be laid off than working?

So.......Conservative economics is:
If you won't work for free, I will have to raise prices

Why does the employee have to give you charity for you to compete in the marketplace?

But it will cost more if you can't use some of your employees as slave labour...

Listen, Profit is the Almighty... We should treat people like sh*t because it is profitable...

I know some are going to say that is is worshiping Greed. Greed is just a parayer to Profit...

I can't understand how quickly conservatives throw workers under the bus....If you won't work for free. find a job somewhere else

They always bitch about the number of people freeloading on society....but when employers freeload off of free labor...they defend it
Do you have proof of this? I never seen it in manufacturing in the past 32 years, the lowest paid workers always were paid $5 or $8 bucks over MW at the time. In blue states I worked and Red.

Do you have proof of this? I never seen it in manufacturing in the past 32 years, the lowest paid workers always were paid $5 or $8 bucks over MW at the time. In blue states I worked and Red.

This relates to those identified as "managers" who make over $22k per year who are expected to work uncompensated overtime

This relates to those identified as "managers" who make over $22k per year who are expected to work uncompensated overtime
I am not sure why you don't understand it is just a stepping stone? For example at my second part time job (still in high school) my manager was making around that at Arbys, he was a Latino, worked 60 hours a week or so, found the time to get married , go to school and opened his own fast food joint 25 years ago. Last time I talked to him around 2007, he had 8 of them.

Its about getting experience and then the door is wide open.

I am not sure why you don't understand it is just a stepping stone? For example at my second part time job (still in high school) my manager was making around that at Arbys, he was a Latino, worked 60 hours a week or so, found the time to get married , go to school and opened his own fast food joint 25 years ago. Last time I talked to him around 2007, he had 8 of them.

And he couldn't have done the same thing if he was paid for 60 hours a week?

they wouldn't give him 60 hours a week, if that was the case.

I had a few manufacturing jobs in the past 15 years, when I hit 40 hours say on a Friday at 11 am or even a Thursday at 2 pm, I was told to go home, they couldn't afford to pay me O.T.

I had a few manufacturing jobs in the past 15 years, when I hit 40 hours say on a Friday at 11 am or even a Thursday at 2 pm, I was told to go home, they couldn't afford to pay me O.T.

So if they wouldn't give him 60 hours and pay him for 40, how would that have affected his ability to learn the business and eventually go out on his own?

He would have made the same money either way

Why is you going home at 1100 on a Friday to spend time with your family (a personal life is a good thing) a bad thing?

So if they wouldn't give him 60 hours and pay him for 40, how would that have affected his ability to learn the business and eventually go out on his own?

Why is you going home at 1100 on a Friday to spend time with your family (a personal life is a good thing) a bad thing?
Woa...... You do know their is a big differnce between knowledge and wisdom?

Book smarts and street smarts?

Wax on wax off?

Karate Kid - Daniel's Training "WAX ON WAX OFF":

Wax on wax off?

You have chosen wisely grasshopper

Wax on wax off?

You have chosen wisely grasshopper

RW, I always knew, that you always did understand , you just loves to play the devils advocate .

But why?

Going from the bottom is not going to hurt the 1%

It just hurts middle class.

That's not a plan. Its just trickle up poor.

In years gone by, retailing and fast foods had the reputation of hiring people on salary, calling them "managers," and demanding that they work a lot of hours with no additional compensation. (BTW, in the time period I'm talking about the best employers of the type were McDonalds, Sears, and K-Mart).

People did it because IT WAS THE BEST JOB THEY COULD GET. You were talking about people with either no degree or a worthless degree ("English Lit"), and that crappy job at an Arby's was the best option they had. In theory, it could result in a much higher paying job in the future (store manager, district manager, regional manager), but the reality was that most people just used those jobs as stepping stones and they left as soon as they could find something better. Often, they ended up with retailers or restaurant chains that paid better, based on the experience they got at Arby's. So all in all, it was only temporary and it wasn't such a bad deal when considered as part of an overall career.

"Wage & Hour" laws are based on the premise that employers have an unfair advantage over employees, and must be FORCED by government to "do the right thing." The fact is that when you seek and accept a job, everything is right on the table in front of you ,and if you think you have a better alternative, you are FREE TO GO SOMEPLACE ELSE where you can do better. The same holds true on Day 1, Day 100, or after 25 years. If you think you can do better someplace else (or working for yourself) you are free to do so.

The people who conceive and write these laws and regulations, however, have mainly NEVER HAD A REAL JOB IN THEIR ENTIRE LIVES, and thus are susceptible to ridiculous sob stories about anecdotal situations where people were FORCED TO REMAIN in a job that was horrible.

I have had a dozen or more crappy jobs in my life. Short order cook, security guard, retail assistant manager, janitor, and so on. And I ALWAYS looked for something better, and I ALWAYS took the better job as soon as it was available. And to the people who are "demanding" $15/hr to work in a crappy job, I say, you took that job voluntarily, and you can leave any time you like. If you think you are WORTH $15/hr, find some employer or occupation that pays it, and knock yourself out. But don't expect THIS employer to pony up the extra money just because you feel entitled to it. You have no RIGHT to someone else's MONEY.

In years gone by, retailing and fast foods had the reputation of hiring people on salary, calling them "managers," and demanding that they work a lot of hours with no additional compensation. (BTW, in the time period I'm talking about the best employers of the type were McDonalds, Sears, and K-Mart).

People did it because IT WAS THE BEST JOB THEY COULD GET. You were talking about people with either no degree or a worthless degree ("English Lit"), and that crappy job at an Arby's was the best option they had. In theory, it could result in a much higher paying job in the future (store manager, district manager, regional manager), but the reality was that most people just used those jobs as stepping stones and they left as soon as they could find something better. Often, they ended up with retailers or restaurant chains that paid better, based on the experience they got at Arby's. So all in all, it was only temporary and it wasn't such a bad deal when considered as part of an overall career.

"Wage & Hour" laws are based on the premise that employers have an unfair advantage over employees, and must be FORCED by government to "do the right thing." The fact is that when you seek and accept a job, everything is right on the table in front of you ,and if you think you have a better alternative, you are FREE TO GO SOMEPLACE ELSE where you can do better. The same holds true on Day 1, Day 100, or after 25 years. If you think you can do better someplace else (or working for yourself) you are free to do so.

The people who conceive and write these laws and regulations, however, have mainly NEVER HAD A REAL JOB IN THEIR ENTIRE LIVES, and thus are susceptible to ridiculous sob stories about anecdotal situations where people were FORCED TO REMAIN in a job that was horrible.

I have had a dozen or more crappy jobs in my life. Short order cook, security guard, retail assistant manager, janitor, and so on. And I ALWAYS looked for something better, and I ALWAYS took the better job as soon as it was available. And to the people who are "demanding" $15/hr to work in a crappy job, I say, you took that job voluntarily, and you can leave any time you like. If you think you are WORTH $15/hr, find some employer or occupation that pays it, and knock yourself out. But don't expect THIS employer to pony up the extra money just because you feel entitled to it. You have no RIGHT to someone else's MONEY.

You have a right to be compensated for your labor

Giving the title of "manager" without the requisite responsibilities or compensation and requiring them to work without pay is abuse

If you want to call them a manager, then pay them over $50K. Otherwise, pay them for any hours worked over 40 hrs a week

I can see why anyone who has worked for the government, receiving their payroll check from the government, would be for this anti-free market policy, Obama is trying to shove down our throats. It is bad for business and bad for consumers. If the business can stay open, prices will have to increase resulting in Obama finding another way to destroy capitalism, his goal of many years.

If one hasn't been an employer in a private enterprise, one hasn't a clue of what it means to work hard. They have no frame of reference. They are the entitled.

Forum List

Back