Obama plans to expand overtime eligibility for millions of workers

I can see why anyone who has worked for the government, receiving their payroll check from the government, would be for this anti-free market policy, Obama is trying to shove down our throats. It is bad for business and bad for consumers. If the business can stay open, prices will have to increase resulting in Obama finding another way to destroy capitalism, his goal of many years.

If one hasn't been an employer in a private enterprise, one hasn't a clue of what it means to work hard. They have no frame of reference. They are the entitled.

If a business cannot stay open without requiring its low cost labor to work for free, they shouldn't be in business

A business should not demand charity from its workers

I can see why anyone who has worked for the government, receiving their payroll check from the government, would be for this anti-free market policy, Obama is trying to shove down our throats. It is bad for business and bad for consumers. If the business can stay open, prices will have to increase resulting in Obama finding another way to destroy capitalism, his goal of many years.

If one hasn't been an employer in a private enterprise, one hasn't a clue of what it means to work hard. They have no frame of reference. They are the entitled.
If one has been an employer in a private enterprise, he understands exactly what are greed, profit, and fairness. We had no trouble paying our employees well, above the chamber of commerce guidelines. Other employers grumbled. We took their better employees if they were who we wanted.

If employers were able to govern themselves, this would not be an issue.

If a business cannot stay open without requiring its low cost labor to work for free, they shouldn't be in business

of course not. Employment is a contract between the employer and the employee. " I will pay you $X per week to do this job" " I agree to do this job for $X per week"

Neither party is forced to enter into the contract. If the pay offered is not what the worker thinks he/she is worth, then he/she can go elsewhere.

If one has been an employer in a private enterprise, he understands exactly what are greed, profit, and fairness. We had no trouble paying our employees well, above the chamber of commerce guidelines. Other employers grumbled. We took their better employees if they were who we wanted.

If employers were able to govern themselves, this would not be an issue.

what does "employers govern themselves" mean?

If one has been an employer in a private enterprise, he understands exactly what are greed, profit, and fairness. We had no trouble paying our employees well, above the chamber of commerce guidelines. Other employers grumbled. We took their better employees if they were who we wanted. If employers were able to govern themselves, this would not be an issue.
If you had been an employer, you would know. Since you haven't, not to worry.

If one has been an employer in a private enterprise, he understands exactly what are greed, profit, and fairness. We had no trouble paying our employees well, above the chamber of commerce guidelines. Other employers grumbled. We took their better employees if they were who we wanted. If employers were able to govern themselves, this would not be an issue.

LOL, at one time I had over 100 people working for me. I was an employer. We paid very good wages and gave very good benefits. my employees were non-union. My competitors paid similar wages.

If you are saying that employers should share the profits with employees, that is exactly what we did at the end of each year. BTW, evil walmart does that too. Walmart employees get walmart stock as part of their compensation package.

Mandating more overtime pay will only result in fewer overtime hours for the people who need it.

this is nothing but another stupid left wing attempt to buy votes. It wil never pass the house, so obama is once again pissing up a rope.

Maybe Obama should then pass a law that requires lower managers to get educated.

:lol: That's the spirit! Anyone can be stuck at work for 60 hrs a week at $23k a year, and still find plenty of room in their schedule and their budget to go back to school and get their college degree. It's only the reasonable thing to do.
I was just telling my cook that while I would enjoy the OT pay for anything over 50, I'd rather have the quality of life of o ly working50 instead of my 67....

Let me know how you approach your boss and how it works out
:thup:

Then you know what they are, fish. Were you about the greed?

of course not. Employment is a contract between the employer and the employee. " I will pay you $X per week to do this job" " I agree to do this job for $X per week"

Neither party is forced to enter into the contract. If the pay offered is not what the worker thinks he/she is worth, then he/she can go elsewhere.

Yes it is...and that contract must comply with existing labor laws

If employers were not abusing the existing labor laws, they would not have to be changed

Maybe Obama should then pass a law that requires lower managers to get educated.

:lol: That's the spirit! Anyone can be stuck at work for 60 hrs a week at $23k a year, and still find plenty of room in their schedule and their budget to go back to school and get their college degree. It's only the reasonable thing to do.
I was just telling my cook that while I would enjoy the OT pay for anything over 50, I'd rather have the quality of life of o ly working50 instead of my 67....

You make a good point

Surrendering your quality of life for no additional compensation is an abuse of the employee. 67 hours is six eleven hour days which essentially means you get no time after work and one day a week to have....a life

You make a good point

Surrendering your quality of life for no additional compensation is an abuse of the employee. 67 hours is six eleven hour days which essentially means you get no time after work and one day a week to have....a life

Who chose to surrender ?

If your employer tells you to jump off a cliff...do you do that too ?

What are the details of this ill advised program? There's a good chance that it will hit flex time worker's the hardest. Someone who has negotiated a ten hour, four day workweek is going to either lose the day off or get cut to 30 hours.

Absent an emergency, overtime is a matter of scheduling completely within the control of the employer.
Sure, and proper compensation is the purview of the government. Simply don't schedule overtime if you don't want to pay for it.

Exactly. Or hire enough employees to accomplish the required work during regular business hours.

LOL, at one time I had over 100 people working for me. I was an employer. We paid very good wages and gave very good benefits. my employees were non-union. My competitors paid similar wages.

If you are saying that employers should share the profits with employees, that is exactly what we did at the end of each year. BTW, evil walmart does that too. Walmart employees get walmart stock as part of their compensation package.

Mandating more overtime pay will only result in fewer overtime hours for the people who need it.

this is nothing but another stupid left wing attempt to buy votes. It wil never pass the house, so obama is once again pissing up a rope.

It is amazing that we have a president who seems bent on making sure the way he feels things should be are the way they are.

Employees and employers existed long before him and will exist long after him. They've been doing well for a long time.

I've stated that I think we have a wage issue......but Obama is not the one to fix it.

So what will happen is people on salary will get pay cuts so as not to cost the company more.

If A person wants the benefits of working for salary instead of hourly why the fuck can't they make that choice?
You get it! They will make that choice to work for comp or overtime. Business won't.

The point of salary is you get paid a little more for the agreement that you may have to work over 40 hours with no extra compensation.
Now people will just get pay cuts and no overtime so in the long run they'll be making less

RW, not much of us is born with a golden spoon in our mouths, we take the shit jobs, work our ass off and we are paid back with our references from our past bosses.

That's how it works to move up.
It does not have to be that way for those who are willing to work hard, get educated, take chances, and compete. We took care of our good employees, got rid of the mediocre and racists etc. We paid better than average, recruited the best from our competition, and never ever let greed get in our way. We have done extremely well. Some on the board know where we live in Salt Lake City and our homes in Tyler and Jonesboro.

Anybody who is squeezing the employees is a shit head, period.

I agree. Fair wages can be part of a successful business model just as easily as low wages.

It is amazing that we have a president who seems bent on making sure the way he feels things should be are the way they are.

Employees and employers existed long before him and will exist long after him. They've been doing well for a long time.

I've stated that I think we have a wage issue......but Obama is not the one to fix it.

They even existed before we had labor laws

Government stepped in to make sure workplaces were safe and that employees were fairly compensated for their labor

You want employees to give up their life for you? Pay them for it

Hard to believe we still have conservatives who oppose the 40 hour week

You make a good point

Half of my shifts are graveyards.....I actually get two consecutive days off so I work 13,14,15hrs days.....my first day off I sleep it away

They even existed before we had labor laws

Government stepped in to make sure workplaces were safe and that employees were fairly compensated for their labor

You want employees to give up their life for you? Pay them for it

Hard to believe we still have conservatives who oppose the 40 hour week

Salary agreements usually come with higher pay and more benefits than hourly workers get.

Why not let people make up their own mind about taking a salaried position or staying in an hourly position?

All this new regulation will do is deny people the extra pay and benefits of salaried positions.

You make a good point

Half of my shifts are graveyards.....I actually get two consecutive days off so I work 13,14,15hrs days.....my first day off I sleep it away

My son used to work hours like that. He could come home from work, grab some sleep and head back to work for six days straight.
He had one day a week to "have a life" then back to work

You make a good point

My son used to work hours like that. He could come home from work, grab some sleep and head back to work for six days straight.
He had one day a week to "have a life" then back to work

Cry me a river.

WHen I was young and trying to get ahead I worked every day I could.

It's called ambition and sacrifice.

Forum List

Back