Obama orders hospitals to grant same-sex couples visitation rights

let's change the premise of the OP from "same sex couples " to "black couples". Would you think Obama would be stepping over the line in that situation. If not, care to point out the difference?

We already have anti-discrimination laws regarding race, so really there is nothing to discuss in this regard. However, yes, I feel that if we did not already have such laws he would be over stepping his bounds. In fact, I believe those laws are over-stepping the federal governments bounds as it is.

That being said, I am adamantly opposed to the discrimination of people for any reason. I wish we did not have to consider such things any longer.

And once again, the post blu quoted states that I am not opposed to hospitals allowing visitation rights to single sex couples. I don't believe there should be any question about such rights, but I believe the federal government is overstepping its bounds.

Immie

So Congress should pass a vote?

Can you find somewhere in the United States Constitution that justifies any regulation by Congress?

If not, it's up to the states.

nice slippery slope

It is just a point... where do YOU draw the line?

Immie

you draw the line at not allowing your personal prejudices to discriminate against people for being different from you.

So allowing personal prejudices to discriminate against people who work hard and obtain wealth is good. But if people choose to engage in deviant sex, they can't be discriminated against.

Why?

Governments are there to govern. That is their purpose. They are supposed to be the representatives on the people..

People are there to govern themselves. That's the whole point of the United States. Self government is the highest form of government. But youd rather just give all the power you currently have to someone in Washington in the hopes that he will have your best interest.

Power should remain as close to the people as is absolutely necessary.

Although, I am not opposed to hospitals allowing same sex couples visitation rights, this is just one more attempt of politicians to enforce compliance of political correctness.

Obama has no right to demand this... once again he is overstepping his bounds.

Immie
said the new rule will affect any hospital that receives Medicare or Medicaid funding, a move that covers the vast majority of the nation's health-care institutions.
They can stop taking the funding...problem solved.

Although, I am not opposed to hospitals allowing same sex couples visitation rights, this is just one more attempt of politicians to enforce compliance of political correctness.

Immie

Bingo.... over-dramatic showboating... nothing more... but that's what Obama knows best

its only for hosps that receive gov funds

Which is all of them.

So?

I'm currently unemployed and taking unemployment insurance. Does that give Obama the right to tell me the kind of TP I can use to wipe my butt?

You probably drive on public roads, meaning you get public assistance... does that give Obama the right to tell you what kind of TP you can use to wipe yours?

Immie

analogy fail. I helped pay for those roads with taxes and you helped pay for your unemployment insurance when you used to work.

Really? I don't suppose hospitals pay taxes either?

Immie

Most hospitals are non-profit and tax exempt.

I think this is the story that led to this mandate.

"As her partner of 17 years slipped into a coma, Janice Langbehn pleaded with doctors and anyone who would listen to let her into the woman's hospital room.

Eight anguishing hours passed before Langbehn would be allowed into Jackson Memorial Hospital's Ryder Trauma Center. By then, she could only say her final farewell as a priest performed the last rites on 39-year-old Lisa Marie Pond.

Jackson staffers advised Langbehn that she could not see Pond earlier because the hospital's visitation policy in cases of emergency was limited to immediate family and spouses -- not partners. In Florida, same-sex marriages or partnerships are not recognized. On Friday, two years after her partner's death, Langbehn and her attorneys were in federal court, claiming emotional distress and negligence in a suit they filed last June.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/02/06/892447/gay-woman-fights-over-hospital.html

Jackson is a public hospital.

Immie

if the hospitals take government money then the gov gets to dictates their policie where it sees fit. they can always operate idependently.

So?

I'm currently unemployed and taking unemployment insurance. Does that give Obama the right to tell me the kind of TP I can use to wipe my butt?

You probably drive on public roads, meaning you get public assistance... does that give Obama the right to tell you what kind of TP you can use to wipe yours?

Immie

Do you know what a strawman is?

It is just a point... where do YOU draw the line?

Immie

you draw the line at not allowing your personal prejudices to discriminate against people for being different from you.

So allowing personal prejudices to discriminate against people who work hard and obtain wealth is good. But if people choose to engage in deviant sex, they can't be discriminated against.

Why?

Those people aren't allowed to visit their loved ones in the hospital?????

I think this is the story that led to this mandate.

"As her partner of 17 years slipped into a coma, Janice Langbehn pleaded with doctors and anyone who would listen to let her into the woman's hospital room.

Eight anguishing hours passed before Langbehn would be allowed into Jackson Memorial Hospital's Ryder Trauma Center. By then, she could only say her final farewell as a priest performed the last rites on 39-year-old Lisa Marie Pond.

Jackson staffers advised Langbehn that she could not see Pond earlier because the hospital's visitation policy in cases of emergency was limited to immediate family and spouses -- not partners. In Florida, same-sex marriages or partnerships are not recognized. On Friday, two years after her partner's death, Langbehn and her attorneys were in federal court, claiming emotional distress and negligence in a suit they filed last June.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/02/06/892447/gay-woman-fights-over-hospital.html

Jackson is a public hospital.

Need to point out that Langbehn/Pond WERE registered domestic partners in their home state. They also had powers of attorney that were faxed to that Florida hospital. The hospital REFUSED to recognise them.

Remember now the inventor of the blood transfusion died from blood loss becuase he was black and was refused admittance to a white hospital.

The feds have had to do stuff like this for decades and will continue to have to do stuff like this becuase of stupid people.

Ahhhh hhahahahahahahahaha... the winger gets caught up in an urban legend AGAIN... what an ignoramus

Dr. Charles R. Drew: American Inventor - EnchantedLearning.com

Dr. Drew died on April 1, 1950, after a car accident in in rural North Carolina. Although there is a legend that he died as a result of being denied a blood transfusion and medical care from a "whites-only" hospital, Dr. Drew got immediate medical attention, in part from the other doctors (his friends) who were in the car accident with him (but were less severely injured). Dr. Drew was admitted to a mixed-race hospital, but died after being treated for massive internal injuries.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

Another unConstitutional power grab by the Usurper-in-Chief. Hardly surprising.

Boo Hoo....allowing people to visit their loved ones in the hospitals....run for the hills!!!!

:scared1:

See corruption doesnt matter to you if it benefits your views.

Corruption bothers me no matter what viewpoints are reinforced.

Immie

if the hospitals take government money then the gov gets to dictates their policie where it sees fit. they can always operate idependently.

And this is exactly why government money should not be given in any form to private institutions. They have no right to dictate anything.

The President has no Authority to make such an order. Just another example of our little dictator in action.

This should have been done 20 years ago. Why didn't a Republican President do it?

Because the President doesnt have authority to do it.

How difficult is this to understand?

Yes he does, of course the congress and or courts have the power to rescind the order.
If they have the balls.
Many in congress is afraid to take action like Obama did, supporting gays in any way lose votes from some many people.

Forum List

Back