Obama orders hospitals to grant same-sex couples visitation rights

provide a link in which any hospital has ever refused visitation rights. I have never been in one.

i hope you are joking, this has been an issue for years, and one was already discusssed in this thread

never heard of it. I think the issue is really the medical surrogate, you should pick your battles..

It is a shame that the federal govt has to step in to guarantee persons basic human rights when dealing with corporations and religious entities.

this had to be done with racism, etc
And I expect will continue to have to be done on other things in the future.

There is no 'right' to hospital visitation

Typical left winger misusing the term 'right'

If you are dying you have no right to see the ones you love one last time?
Darned preachers sure come around while you are dying there.

Hospitals tend to be a bit arrogant.
I once had one tell me I could not leave. My admitting DR had literally dissappeared for 3 days and they said he had to check me out.
I told them to hide and watch if they thought I could not leave or have me arrested. They even took my street clothes. So I called the cops on them for theft.
They managed to get the paperwork together somehow.

I had a miscarriage...and the hospital wanted to put me out on the street without PANTS.

Can you believe that shit?

Anyway, I've never heard of a hospital telling a patient "so and so can't see you." That's idiotic. The only time they restrict is if there's a risk of contamination or the patient is being worked on, OR if they think there's a threat of harm. So a woman who doesn't come in with her husband may find her husband stopped at the door of OB if the attendants don't know him.

We used to have non profit community hospitals. Not sure if they still exist or not though.

Non-profit? :D

When was the last time you got a hospital bill... don't tell me they are "non-profit". ;)

Immie

ummm wow. you think non-profits dont charge for services???

tell me you are joking

I worked for one for two years and that is not what I said.

Non-profits are in business to provide a service but not necessarily to make a profit. Look at a hospital bill and tell me they are not in the business to make a profit.

Immie

provide a link in which any hospital has ever refused visitation rights. I have never been in one.

i hope you are joking, this has been an issue for years, and one was already discusssed in this thread

never heard of it. I think the issue is really the medical surrogate, you should pick your battles..

there are times only immediate family can visit. because most states don't allow same sex marriage, under those situations, a long time partner was not considered 'family' so wasn't allowed up.

it's very common.

Pull up some examples of how common it is. My mom works in a hospital and has all my life and she's never heard of it. She's worked in VA hospitals, in ICUs, you name it.

Although, I am not opposed to hospitals allowing same sex couples visitation rights, this is just one more attempt of politicians to enforce compliance of political correctness.

Obama has no right to demand this... once again he is overstepping his bounds.

Immie

"Political correctness"? Read this:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/curre...ex-couples-visitation-rights.html#post2212320

We aren't talking about "political correctness" here - we are talking about common decency and empathy for others.

Although, I am not opposed to hospitals allowing same sex couples visitation rights, this is just one more attempt of politicians to enforce compliance of political correctness.

Immie

http://www.usmessageboard.com/curre...ex-couples-visitation-rights.html#post2212320

We aren't talking about "political correctness" here - we are talking about common decency and empathy for others.

Obama should just order every one to be decent and empathetic--problem solved. Do we really need a congress anyway ?

We used to have non profit community hospitals. Not sure if they still exist or not though.

Non-profit? :D

When was the last time you got a hospital bill... don't tell me they are "non-profit". ;)

Immie

ummm wow. you think non-profits dont charge for services???

tell me you are joking

Ohh the people that work in them are for profit, but the hospitals themselves were not all for profit.
It costs the hospital money for you to stay there.
Waking you up in the middle of a sound sleep to give you a sleeping pills costs money.

If the hospital itself is not for profit would it pay taxes?

Immie

if the hospitals take government money then the gov gets to dictates their policie where it sees fit. they can always operate idependently.

So?

I'm currently unemployed and taking unemployment insurance. Does that give Obama the right to tell me the kind of TP I can use to wipe my butt?

You probably drive on public roads, meaning you get public assistance... does that give Obama the right to tell you what kind of TP you can use to wipe yours?

Immie

let's change the premise of the OP from "same sex couples " to "black couples". Would you think Obama would be stepping over the line in that situation. If not, care to point out the difference?

Immie

Your idea of "common decency and empathy" is code word for political correctness.

Also, I already said that I have no problem with allowing same sex partners visitation rights. I simply do not believe that the Federal Government has the right to mandate this.

WTF will be next? Will I be forced to have sex with another man to see if I might not enjoy it or so that I know what it is like? When does the government stop telling us what we have to do?

Immie

Remember now the inventor of the blood transfusion died from blood loss becuase he was black and was refused admittance to a white hospital.

The feds have had to do stuff like this for decades and will continue to have to do stuff like this becuase of stupid people.

if the hospitals take government money then the gov gets to dictates their policie where it sees fit. they can always operate idependently.

So?

I'm currently unemployed and taking unemployment insurance. Does that give Obama the right to tell me the kind of TP I can use to wipe my butt?

You probably drive on public roads, meaning you get public assistance... does that give Obama the right to tell you what kind of TP you can use to wipe yours?

Immie

let's change the premise of the OP from "same sex couples " to "black couples". Would you think Obama would be stepping over the line in that situation. If not, care to point out the difference?

We already have anti-discrimination laws regarding race, so really there is nothing to discuss in this regard. However, yes, I feel that if we did not already have such laws he would be over stepping his bounds. In fact, I believe those laws are over-stepping the federal governments bounds as it is.

That being said, I am adamantly opposed to the discrimination of people for any reason. I wish we did not have to consider such things any longer.

And once again, the post blu quoted states that I am not opposed to hospitals allowing visitation rights to single sex couples. I don't believe there should be any question about such rights, but I believe the federal government is overstepping its bounds.

Immie

Your idea of "common decency and empathy" is code word for political correctness.

Also, I already said that I have no problem with allowing same sex partners visitation rights. I simply do not believe that the Federal Government has the right to mandate this.

WTF will be next? Will I be forced to have sex with another man to see if I might not enjoy it or so that I know what it is like? When does the government stop telling us what we have to do?

Immie

So now to allow some people, who in the past have been ostracised for no other reason than their sexual orientation, the same rights as everyone else, is PC? Interesting take..

Enforcing civil rights on corporations is a far cry from forcing you to have sex with a man. Apples and oranges. Doesn't even pass the giggle test...

So?

Immie

We already have anti-discrimination laws regarding race, so really there is nothing to discuss in this regard. However, yes, I feel that if we did not already have such laws he would be over stepping his bounds. In fact, I believe those laws are over-stepping the federal governments bounds as it is.

That being said, I am adamantly opposed to the discrimination of people for any reason. I wish we did not have to consider such things any longer.

And once again, the post blu quoted states that I am not opposed to hospitals allowing visitation rights to single sex couples. I don't believe there should be any question about such rights, but I believe the federal government is overstepping its bounds.

Immie

So Congress should pass a vote?

"Hi. I'm Chris. I'm here to visit my life partner, Terry."

Next day.

"Hi. "I'm Tracy. I'm here to visit my life partner, Terry."

Third day.

"I'm Terry's lawyer. I'm serving you with papers for allowing Tracy and Chris access to Terry."

fine. allow gays and lesbians to get married. define it as a contract between two and only two people. then we don't have that problem.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
"Hi. I'm Chris. I'm here to visit my life partner, Terry."

Next day.

"Hi. "I'm Tracy. I'm here to visit my life partner, Terry."

Third day.

"I'm Terry's lawyer. I'm serving you with papers for allowing Tracy and Chris access to Terry."

fine. allow gays and lesbians to get married. define it as a contract between two and only two people. then we don't have that problem.

yep

Forum List

Back