Obama orders hospitals to grant same-sex couples visitation rights

Although, I am not opposed to hospitals allowing same sex couples visitation rights, this is just one more attempt of politicians to enforce compliance of political correctness.

Obama has no right to demand this... once again he is overstepping his bounds.

Immie

"Political correctness"? Read this:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/curre...ex-couples-visitation-rights.html#post2212320

We aren't talking about "political correctness" here - we are talking about common decency and empathy for others.

Your idea of "common decency and empathy" is code word for political correctness.

Also, I already said that I have no problem with allowing same sex partners visitation rights. I simply do not believe that the Federal Government has the right to mandate this.

WTF will be next? Will I be forced to have sex with another man to see if I might not enjoy it or so that I know what it is like? When does the government stop telling us what we have to do?

Immie

nice slippery slope

Your idea of "common decency and empathy" is code word for political correctness.

Also, I already said that I have no problem with allowing same sex partners visitation rights. I simply do not believe that the Federal Government has the right to mandate this.

WTF will be next? Will I be forced to have sex with another man to see if I might not enjoy it or so that I know what it is like? When does the government stop telling us what we have to do?

Immie

So now to allow some people, who in the past have been ostracised for no other reason than their sexual orientation, the same rights as everyone else, is PC? Interesting take..

Enforcing civil rights on corporations is a far cry from forcing you to have sex with a man. Apples and oranges. Doesn't even pass the giggle test...

Okay... for the fifth time in this thread what part of this did you guys not understand?

I am not opposed to hospitals allowing same sex couples visitation rights

And yes, forcing everyone to see it my way is PC!

What is so hard to understand about that?

What is so hard to understand that there should be limits on what we allow the government to mandate?

Immie

let's change the premise of the OP from "same sex couples " to "black couples". Would you think Obama would be stepping over the line in that situation. If not, care to point out the difference?

We already have anti-discrimination laws regarding race, so really there is nothing to discuss in this regard. However, yes, I feel that if we did not already have such laws he would be over stepping his bounds. In fact, I believe those laws are over-stepping the federal governments bounds as it is.

That being said, I am adamantly opposed to the discrimination of people for any reason. I wish we did not have to consider such things any longer.

And once again, the post blu quoted states that I am not opposed to hospitals allowing visitation rights to single sex couples. I don't believe there should be any question about such rights, but I believe the federal government is overstepping its bounds.

Immie

So Congress should pass a vote?

No, if a vote is necessary it should be done state wide.

Immie

"Political correctness"? Read this:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/curre...ex-couples-visitation-rights.html#post2212320

We aren't talking about "political correctness" here - we are talking about common decency and empathy for others.

Immie

nice slippery slope

It is just a point... where do YOU draw the line?

Immie

Immie

nice slippery slope

Immie

you draw the line at not allowing your personal prejudices to discriminate against people for being different from you.

What is so hard to understand that there should be limits on what we allow the government to mandate?

Immie

Governments are there to govern. That is their purpose. They are supposed to be the representatives on the people..

nice slippery slope

Immie

you draw the line at not allowing your personal prejudices to discriminate against people for being different from you.

Do I need to point this out again?

Where, pray tell, am I allowing my personal prejudices to discriminate against people for being different from me?

I said I am all for same sex couples having visitation rights. What I also said, is that it is not the Federal Government's place to mandate political correctness.

Immie

Immie

Governments are there to govern. That is their purpose. They are supposed to be the representatives on the people..

And we were supposed to live by a document known as the Constitution of the United States of America that was supposed to limit the powers of the Federal Government. We (all of us) are shredding that document to pieces on a daily basis.

Immie

Immie

So now to allow some people, who in the past have been ostracised for no other reason than their sexual orientation, the same rights as everyone else, is PC? Interesting take..

Enforcing civil rights on corporations is a far cry from forcing you to have sex with a man. Apples and oranges. Doesn't even pass the giggle test...

Okay... for the fifth time in this thread what part of this did you guys not understand?

Immie

save your breath, the morons known as libruls love to be told what to do by libruls,, it's only when old white republicans tell them what to do that they object..

Immie

save your breath, the morons known as libruls love to be told what to do by libruls,, it's only when old white republicans tell them what to do that they object..

Hey!

I may be old and I am white but I am not a Republican. :D

Immie

if the hospitals take government money then the gov gets to dictates their policie where it sees fit. they can always operate idependently.

So?

I'm currently unemployed and taking unemployment insurance. Does that give Obama the right to tell me the kind of TP I can use to wipe my butt?

You probably drive on public roads, meaning you get public assistance... does that give Obama the right to tell you what kind of TP you can use to wipe yours?

Immie

let's change the premise of the OP from "same sex couples " to "black couples". Would you think Obama would be stepping over the line in that situation. If not, care to point out the difference?

the point is obie wan messiah doesn't dictate,,,errrrr does he?? the congress is the legislative branch of the government or it used to be.. we must be in a dictatorship.. yes

fine. allow gays and lesbians to get married. define it as a contract between two and only two people. then we don't have that problem.

If that is the same for heteros, then there's no problem..

right marriage should be defined as a contract between two people, regardless of sex. provided of course they are 18 or older.

I agree with both of you on this.

To me "marriage" is a religious institution and it should remain as such.

The government should not be involved in the affairs of religious institutions. The government should define "civil unions" and leave it at that. Marriages should be performed by the church... and that includes same sex marriages if the couple can find a church willing to perform a marriage ceremony for them.

Immie

"Hi. I'm Chris. I'm here to visit my life partner, Terry."

Next day.

"Hi. "I'm Tracy. I'm here to visit my life partner, Terry."

Third day.

"I'm Terry's lawyer. I'm serving you with papers for allowing Tracy and Chris access to Terry."

fine. allow gays and lesbians to get married. define it as a contract between two and only two people. then we don't have that problem.

why the hell do we have to limit it to between two people, I need an extra pair of hands around here. it's none of yer damn business if three people consent to be married.

Ive had friends visit me all the time in the hospital. I was under the impression that anyone could visit anyone during visiting hours.

However, its disturbing to think our President believes he can just mandate such a thing. What power does the Constitution grant him to do this?

"Hi. I'm Chris. I'm here to visit my life partner, Terry."

Next day.

"Hi. "I'm Tracy. I'm here to visit my life partner, Terry."

Third day.

"I'm Terry's lawyer. I'm serving you with papers for allowing Tracy and Chris access to Terry."

why the hell do we have to limit it to between two people, I need an extra pair of hands around here. it's none of yer damn business if three people consent to be married.

Well here's my take on that. I don't care what the rest of you do, but I got pretty lucky with the wife I have. She doesn't nag me to do this or that all the time. I would not want to push my luck with another woman and I'll be doggoned if I'm gonna share my bed with another man!

So, I don't care what y'all do, I'm sticking to what I have. :lol:

Oh! Not to mention the fact that there probably is not another woman in the world that would put up with me.

Immie

Although, I am not opposed to hospitals allowing same sex couples visitation rights, this is just one more attempt of politicians to enforce compliance of political correctness.

Obama has no right to demand this... once again he is overstepping his bounds.

Immie

The hospitals are forced to care for homosexuals.

Why not let people visit them?

who do you think visits them? if not people?

Cyborgs.

Immie

nice slippery slope

Immie

your example is too far of a jump. and also the line usually draw when it negativelly affects someone. forcing you to have sex when you don't wnt violates your rights. allowing same sex partners to visit each other in the hospital affects no one but the couple.

Immie

Do I need to point this out again?

Where, pray tell, am I allowing my personal prejudices to discriminate against people for being different from me?

I said I am all for same sex couples having visitation rights. What I also said, is that it is not the Federal Government's place to mandate political correctness.

Immie

yea but I think another poster had a good point that many times the gov has to step in to stop discrimination with the example of blacks in the past

Find me the grant of authority for Obama to do it.

There is a reason we have Congress.

There is a reason we have States.

He isnt our King.

Forum List

Back