Obama made a mistake and owned up to it

ElmerMudd

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2009
Northwest
Obama made a mistake by using the term stupid in his characterization of the Cambridge police.
He admitted he over reacted. He correctly characterized professor Gates and officer Crowley as over reacting.

He is attempting to bring himself, professor Gates and officer Crowley together to show we all can move past this situation together.

That is how we need to work solutions to our societal problems. We have way too much divisive politics in today's world. The other side will not give the other side a chance.

Too many people on this site spend too much time name calling and blaming rather than looking for mutual solutions.

I guess he really was listening to Rev. Wright all those years .... :eusa_whistle:

i consider it a wuss "own up"....he did not fully apologize

anything less is a pure political pig farts

Your attitude is the problem with today's political atmosphere. Obama pulled back from his "stupid" statement and called the police officer. He has tried to get all three men together to make peace.

Officer Crowley refuses to admit he did anything wrong, even though he did over react.

Professor Gates refuses to admit he did anything wrong, even though he did over react.

Obama has shown more character than Gates or Crowley.

Sorry that is not good enough for you. I am guessing no matter what Obama does it will not be good enough for you.

Your attitude is the problem with today's political atmosphere. Obama pulled back from his "stupid" statement and called the police officer. He has tried to get all three men together to make peace.

Officer Crowley refuses to admit he did anything wrong, even though he did over react.

Professor Gates refuses to admit he did anything wrong, even though he did over react.

Sorry that is not good enough for you. I am guessing no matter what Obama does it will not be good enough for you.

what goes around comes around dumb little democwat,, remember the last eight years??? welldoyahuh?

Obama's damage control on this is stellar. His initial reaction however, isn't at all surprising to those who have read his books. Or at least, shouldn't be.

But he manned up and is taking a leadership role in this now, instead of making it much worse. Everyone should recognize that and give credit where it's due.

Getting the belligerents together for a beer at the White House is a classy move, perhaps Obama is a Hank Williams Jr. fan? These lyrics from a Rockin' Randall song come to mind:

I’d like buy the world a round,
In a honky tonk on neutral ground
Where we can see, inside we’re all the same.
Pop a top and let the good times pour,
Til we forget what we was fightin for.
I’ll ask again, can someone please explain?

Why can’t we all just get a long neck,
And make a toast to peace and harmony?
Why, why can’t we all just get a long neck,
And see how good getting along might be?

As different as we may be,
We’re all one big family,
If we just agree,
We’re gonna disagree.

Why can’t we all just get a long neck,
And make a toast to peace and harmony?
Why, why can’t we all just get a long neck,
And see how good getting along can be?
And see how good getting along could be?

Obama used it as an opportunity to score some cheap points with the black and hispanic communities. What happened at that house had NOTHING to do with racial profiling.

P.S. The cop is a racial profiling instructor you race hustling boneheads........

Last edited:

what goes around comes around dumb little democwat,, remember the last eight years??? welldoyahuh?

I remember a President who never admitted he made a mistake.

I remember a President who never tried to bring together parties who disagree like Gates, Crowley and Obama. Obama has invited Crowley and Gates to come to the White House to put the incident behind all three of them. All three made mistakes.

Like most incidents no one is all right or all wrong. It takes character to admit this. Obama has shown that character.

Obama used it as an opportunity to score some cheap points with the black and hispanic communities.
I don't think so. He made a knee-jerk response which I'm sure he wanted to call back as soon as it came out of his mouth. Had there been a plan to use this as you say, he would have done alot better than putting his foot in his mouth.

Obama used it as an opportunity to score some cheap points with the black and hispanic communities.
I don't think so. He made a knee-jerk response which I'm sure he wanted to call back as soon as it came out of his mouth. Had there been a plan to use this as you say, he would have done alot better than putting his foot in his mouth.

So he said what's naturally in his heart without thinking? i'll buy that too .....:clap2:

why is the president of the united states making comments on such a minor incident.....

i think he is really immature...he doesn't understand the office of the president...so far he uses it as a thug office...he still acts like a senator or community organizer and doesn't realize he is potus....that....like oh my gosh, like if i like say something, oh my gosh, people list and like, oh my gosh, my words have affect...

hopefully he will grow into his role before he does any more damage

Obama made a mistake by using the term stupid in his characterization of the Cambridge police.
He admitted he over reacted. He correctly characterized professor Gates and officer Crowley as over reacting.

He is attempting to bring himself, professor Gates and officer Crowley together to show we all can move past this situation together.

That is how we need to work solutions to our societal problems. We have way too much divisive politics in today's world. The other side will not give the other side a chance.

Too many people on this site spend too much time name calling and blaming rather than looking for mutual solutions.

Mr Obama over reacted why? Think for a moment. There is a reason he reacted that way.

Now, his non-apology is to say --- but, but, but the other guys over reacted to. So now, 3 wrongs make a right? Or is that a left?

Obama should have flat out apologized. He was wrong. He spoke on a matter in which he was not fully informed. His comments not only painted the Cambridge police in a questionable light, but police agencies across the country as well. He was wrong. If he can traipse around the globe apologizing for every mistake made by the United States, however well meaning they may have been, he can damn well man up and apologize for his comments regarding Officer Crowley.

While I am certain that Crowley would have much rather resolved the situation in another manner (he is, after all, the instructor for the racial profiling course for his police force, and that's not a how-to course), to say he over reacted would only be speculation. He was not the only officer on the scene, there were others. At least one was Black. He has voiced his absolute support for Crowley's actions, perhaps he is an "Uncle Tom?"

Lost in just about every discussion I have seen on the matter is, this was the second time police had been called to Gates' house to investigate a burglary in a very short period of time, say the last two weeks or so. Officer Crowley was perfectly justified in asking for identification.

What most people fail to realize is this: the police have quite a bit of latitude when it comes to making an arrest for disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, and obstructing an investigation. You may not like it, but it is the truth.

You bet he did. My advice to anyone who may have dealings with law enforcement, especially in the field: answer their questions and don't be a dick. It's been my experience, through ride alongs, personal interaction, and numerous courses of study, that this is always the best course of action. I have never seen anyone arrested for taking this tact.

And let's not overlook the fact that identity politics is part of Gates' shtick. I hear he is even working a deal for a documentary about this incident, a mere eight days later.

No, he really hasn't.

Where I'm concerned, you'd be guessing wrong. It's not a matter of "good enough," it's a matter of doing what is right.

Forum List

Back