Obama is NOT a Good President. So Why Is He Winning With Independents?

Thanks for your opinion. I disagree.

When push comes to shove, voters will choose Romney over Obama. It will come down to the one issue that always decides elections - the economy.
if the economy is truly the issue, which economy are you referring to then. the actual numbers put forth in terms of GDP or how people perceive the economy to be performing.

econominc growth was near -3% a yeah when he took office. growth is currently close to 3% annually. not a great number but a 6% improvement is huge considering where the economy was going when he came into office.

on the other hand, unemployment has not been significantly lowered. this leads people to have the perception that things are not getting better. with unemployment still around 8% this is a problem for Obama.

the major problem i see with the GOP is that offer no real new solutions to solve the major problems of the country. Newt says he can guarantee $2.50 gas simply by drilling. Romney's, Santorum's and Newts budgets all add to the deficit and debt in large numbers. Paul is the only one who cuts the deficit immediately, but he does so by closing a large amount of US bases abroad and cutting the size of the military in the process. this will lead to a spike in unemployment as all these soldiers transition into the workforce that is already struggling to create jobs.
they produce the same idea of less regulation and lower taxes. the regulations they claim are killing jobs are Dodd Frank, which was a direct result of the financial collapse and put regulations in place to help prevent that, and the Health Care law, which still hasnt even gone into full effect and wont for 2 more years. the most hilarious thing about the ACA is how the GOP wants to replace it. they want to replace it with part of the actual health care law. making high risk pools, allowing insurance to be sold across state lines. they only thing they are against is the Mandate, but when Hillary was trying to pass universal HC in the 90's they were for the mandate. so its a bit hard to take them seriously when they want something, and when they get it, they are now against it. on the issue of taxes, taxes are at the lowest rates since the 50's. how much lower would the GOP like to see taxes go? all the way to 0?
if the GOP has real world solutions the current problems facing the country, such as the education gap between the US and the world. getting rid of our dependance on fossil fuels and moving towards cheap renewable energies, stopping the US from being the world police, the people in the middle would start to listen again. but when the GOP starts to drive out good people like Olympia Snowe, they have much larger problems on their hands.
Thanks for your post.

Personally, I believe Obama will sink or swim based upon the REAL economy. The one where 1 in 4 people are out of work. The one where your neighbors are struggling. The one where Obama is "helping" the working man by cutting the payroll tax, yet allowing gasoline prices to double under his watch....dah!

We have the highest corporate tax rate in the world. We have one of the most progressive taxation system in existence. We have too many people not paying anything and too many people collecting money for doing nada.... Reality has to set in at some point.

Republicans need to do four things to win:

1) Repeal Obamacare- we can't afford this clusterfuck
2) Cut Corporate tax rate- we have the highest rate in the world
3) Cut spending
4) Pass a balanced budget amendment

Romney says he is going to do all of those things...

We do not have the highest rate of corporate taxes actually paid in the world.

Australia has a flat 20% corporate tax rate, which is higher than most US corporations actually pay.

I'd essentially agree with the idea that he's winning independents because independents simply don't like Romney, Santorum, or Gingrich, but there was no mention of how Ron Paul often does better with independents than Obama.

because ron paul isn't going to be the GOP nominee...his candidacy is an irrelevancy.

Last edited:
Thanks for your opinion. I disagree.

When push comes to shove, voters will choose Romney over Obama. It will come down to the one issue that always decides elections - the economy.

If it does, Romney is screwed. The economy is getting better.

It's better now than when he took office, and that's really all you need to get re-elected.

You have no credibility, anyone who poses as a republican but acts like jake starkey you lost any credibility you may have had.

Wow, guy, here's the thing. Jake's candidate is WINNING the nomination. Yours isn't.

I don't have a dog in that fight, but I think it's kind of fallacious for you to claim that Jake represents "not real republicans" when his POV is winning the day right now.

(Hey, and what happened to Jake, anyway?)

Here's the deal. Jake has to support a republican to cover his tracks Jake wants Romney to win the nomination because jake realizes that Romney cannot beat obama, because Romney does not have a united GOP behind him. For Jake supporting Romney is like water falling off the back of a duck.

Well, I think Romney has a better chance of winning that Ron Paul, who sent out racist newletters in the 1990's. the Media will have a field day with that one. Ron Paul doesn't strike me as a guy who takes media criticism very well. He's just never had his turn as a "frontrunner" for the media to take him apart on that one.

But you deftly dodged my question. If Jake isn't really a Republican and really doesn't represent mainstream GOP Values, then why is it that the candidate he supported when most Right-leaning posters here didn't now the guy who is winning.

Now, I don't think this is anything but the fact that the GOP is lining up behind the guy who is winning, which I refuse to do. My objection to Romney is that I dislike him as a human being. On policy, the guy has been all over the map.

I also think this clusterfuck of campaign season has a lot to do with the fact the GOP know longer knows what it is about.

I'd essentially agree with the idea that he's winning independents because independents simply don't like Romney, Santorum, or Gingrich, but there was no mention of how Ron Paul often does better with independents than Obama.

because ron paul isn't going to be the GOP nominee...his candidacy is an irrelevancy.

Keep wishin'. ;)

RP is, has always been, about changing things for the better. His goal is to change the direction of the Republican party, and the direction of the country in general. He doesn't need to win the nomination to do this. I don't even think he wants to be president. But he does want to wrestle control of our government away from the corporatists and the neo-cons.

The Republicans will fail miserably this election, in large part because Ron Paul and his supporters won't be falling in line for the same old shit. How's that for 'relevant'?

Last edited:
Independents are either Liars or have no functioning brain cells
Independents in some instances refuse to take a stand in principle with anything they think will make them look bad...it's all about appearences...cult of personality rather than substance.

Funniest post ever!

That you have to align your stance with someone else is a sign of incredible weakness.

Thanks for your post.

Personally, I believe Obama will sink or swim based upon the REAL economy. The one where 1 in 4 people are out of work. The one where your neighbors are struggling. The one where Obama is "helping" the working man by cutting the payroll tax, yet allowing gasoline prices to double under his watch....dah!

We have the highest corporate tax rate in the world. We have one of the most progressive taxation system in existence. We have too many people not paying anything and too many people collecting money for doing nada.... Reality has to set in at some point.

Republicans need to do four things to win:

1) Repeal Obamacare- we can't afford this clusterfuck
2) Cut Corporate tax rate- we have the highest rate in the world
3) Cut spending
4) Pass a balanced budget amendment

Romney says he is going to do all of those things...

1) The REpublicans can squeal about ObamaCare all they want, but their argument is hollow if they nominate Mitt "I promise not to inflict my awesome plan on the whole country" Romney.

2) I have no problem cutting the Corporate Tax rate for companies that employ people here. But those other countries have much higher tax rates on the wealthy.

3) Agreed. But you can't cut you way to a balanced budget, and if you cut spending, you are cutting jobs. Even Romney has admitted this. (This is the guy you support, again.)

4) A good idea, but meaningless unless you have the will to cut real major programs (Defense, Social Security, Medicare) and are willing to raise taxes.

Now, if you want to say "Romney says all these things", you're right. Reverseable Mittens has taken every position on every issue.

I'm just not entirely sure I can trust what he says, given his track record.

Keep wishin'. ;)

RP is, has always been, about changing things for the better. His goal is to change the direction of the Republican party, and the direction of the country in general. He doesn't need to win the nomination to do this. I don't even think he wants to president. But he does want to wrestle control of our government away from the corporatists and the neo-cons.

The Republicans will fail miserably this election, in large part because Ron Paul and his supporters won't be falling in line for the same old shit. How's that for 'relevant'?

i don't have to wish. reality... try it sometime... you see an orange line at the top of the GOP race? :cuckoo:

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - 2012 Republican Presidential Nomination

paulian delusions are so funny.

as for paul wanting to "make things better"... randian idiots don't make things better. and he's a hypocrite.

Wow, guy, here's the thing. Jake's candidate is WINNING the nomination. Yours isn't.

I don't have a dog in that fight, but I think it's kind of fallacious for you to claim that Jake represents "not real republicans" when his POV is winning the day right now.

(Hey, and what happened to Jake, anyway?)

Here's the deal. Jake has to support a republican to cover his tracks Jake wants Romney to win the nomination because jake realizes that Romney cannot beat obama, because Romney does not have a united GOP behind him. For Jake supporting Romney is like water falling off the back of a duck.

Well, I think Romney has a better chance of winning that Ron Paul, who sent out racist newletters in the 1990's. the Media will have a field day with that one. Ron Paul doesn't strike me as a guy who takes media criticism very well. He's just never had his turn as a "frontrunner" for the media to take him apart on that one.

But you deftly dodged my question. If Jake isn't really a Republican and really doesn't represent mainstream GOP Values, then why is it that the candidate he supported when most Right-leaning posters here didn't now the guy who is winning.

Now, I don't think this is anything but the fact that the GOP is lining up behind the guy who is winning, which I refuse to do. My objection to Romney is that I dislike him as a human being. On policy, the guy has been all over the map.

I also think this clusterfuck of campaign season has a lot to do with the fact the GOP know longer knows what it is about.

I didn't dodge a damn thing just like a fucking liberal you lack comprehension skills of a slug

Here's my response again
Here's the deal. Jake has to support a republican to cover his tracks Jake wants Romney to win the nomination because jake realizes that Romney cannot beat obama, because Romney does not have a united GOP behind him. For Jake supporting Romney is like water falling off the back of a duck

Why would Jake "Cover his tracks" by supporting a candidate no one really liked? That doesn't make any sense.

Guy, you are dodging the question. Jake supports Romney. I support Santorum (although I'd be perfectly happy with Gingrich). All of these guys are doing better than Ron Batshitcrazy Paul. We're not out of the mainstream, you are.

Why would Jake "Cover his tracks" by supporting a candidate no one really liked? That doesn't make any sense.

Guy, you are dodging the question. Jake supports Romney. I support Santorum (although I'd be perfectly happy with Gingrich). All of these guys are doing better than Ron Batshitcrazy Paul. We're not out of the mainstream, you are.
Here let me break my response down for you

Jake has to support a republican to cover his tracks Jake wants Romney to win the nomination because jake realizes that Romney cannot beat obama, because Romney does not have a united GOP behind him.
Romney is a mirror image of obama and because of that Romney will not get the support he needs to beat obama. Thats why Jake would openly support Romney because jake doesn't want his guy beat.

Anyone have an opion about the total number of voters showing up in November?

I'm inclined to think a whole lotta voters just aren't going to vote this time around especially if their GOP candidate doesn't get the nod from the party.

Which GOP supporters of any candidate are least likely to vote if they cannot bote for their man?

I'm guessing that Ron Paul's the supporters who are most likely not to vote if Ron Paul isn't the GOP candidate.

They obviously won't vote for Obama, and jusding from the venom many of them have for the other GOP candidates, thaI can see a lot of them just staying home.

And aI also suspect that many of Obama's former supporters have also lost faith in their candidate.

They would be another group of constitients who might, I think, take a pass on voting.

Will the numbers this time be larger than the following?

Obama received 365 electoral votes, and McCain 173. The popular vote was 69,456,897 to 59,934,814, respectively.

Jake has to support a republican to cover his tracks Jake wants Romney to win the nomination because jake realizes that Romney cannot beat obama, because Romney does not have a united GOP behind him.
Romney is a mirror image of obama and because of that Romney will not get the support he needs to beat obama. Thats why Jake would openly support Romney because jake doesn't want his guy beat.

I seriously wonder what kind of self-delusion that Ron Paul supporters live in.

Ron Paul is going to unite Republicans? He won't get the pro-military Republicans, he won't get the Israel supporters, he won't get the Wall Street Republicans.

I think instead of screaming "YOUR NO REPUBLICAN" at the 85% of Republicans who don't support Batshit Crazy Paul, maybe you need to figure out where most people are.

I don't think any of these guys can beat Obama, because as a rule, you need a real strong candidate to unseat an incumbant.

None of these guys are it.

I seriously wonder what kind of self-delusion that Ron Paul supporters live in.

Ron Paul is going to unite Republicans? He won't get the pro-military Republicans, he won't get the Israel supporters, he won't get the Wall Street Republicans.

I think instead of screaming "YOUR NO REPUBLICAN" at the 85% of Republicans who don't support Batshit Crazy Paul, maybe you need to figure out where most people are.

I don't think any of these guys can beat Obama, because as a rule, you need a real strong candidate to unseat an incumbant.

None of these guys are it.

I didn't say that. But the slogan last year until now is, vote anyone but obama. If Paul get's the nomination He will get those votes and his supporters votes. Romney will get the vote anyone but obama vote and not the Paul vote. Romney will lose.

I didn't say that. But the slogan last year until now is, vote anyone but obama. If Paul get's the nomination He will get those votes and his supporters votes. Romney will get the vote anyone but obama vote and not the Paul vote. Romney will lose.

Here's the thing.

I won't vote for Romney because I have this 30 year grudge against the Mormons. Otherwise, I could vote for him by holding my nose, which is pretty much what I did in 1996.

I won't vote for Romney because I dislike him as a person.

I won't vote for Ron Paul because he's fucking nuts.

it has very little to do with issues to me. Because at the end of the day, we aren't voting for a list of issues, we are voting for a man.

Here's the thing.

I won't vote for Romney because I have this 30 year grudge against the Mormons. Otherwise, I could vote for him by holding my nose, which is pretty much what I did in 1996.

it has very little to do with issues to me. Because at the end of the day, we aren't voting for a list of issues, we are voting for a man.

You won't vote for Romney because you are an irrational brat. At least be honest about it.

Here's the thing.

There are more vote for anyone but People than there are of your type, and there our more supporters of Ron Paul than there are of your type.
As I said Romney will get the anyone but obama vote and that is all. Paul will get his supporters vote and the anyone but obama vote.

Last edited:

Good article. And it illustrates why the GOP is losing independents. They don't view Obama as a horrible President..but one that has made moves they don't like. That's pretty fair.

The GOP on the other side..has made Obama the devil. That's bound to turn people off. For everything the Reagan campaign did to Carter..they never stooped to the level of Demonizing him. Their meme was he was an "ineffective" President and they could do a better job.

Forum List

Back