Obama has left Trinity United Church

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Jon, May 31, 2008.

1. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
  2. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,110
  3. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,110
    no need to worry about upsetting the black vote anymore, perhaps? And now time to start pandering to the white blue collar and female maybe? since he is going in to the general?

4. cbi0090

cbi0090 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46
    It is hypocritical and, in a way, disappointing. I have no problem disagreeing or supporting wholeheartedly someone with a strong, unpopular opinion if I agree but what do you do with someone who just dances about to the loudest music of the day. You can't agree, you can't disagree. We're supposed to just sit back and be entertained? Is that who we vote for? I'm fed up with the whole lot.

5. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,829
  6. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    That has been my experience at Trinity. Like other predominantly black churches across the country, Trinity embodies the black community in its entirety - the doctor and the welfare mom, the model student and the former gang-banger. Like other black churches, Trinity's services are full of raucous laughter and sometimes bawdy humor. They are full of dancing, clapping, screaming and shouting that may seem jarring to the untrained ear. The church contains in full the kindness and cruelty, the fierce intelligence and the shocking ignorance, the struggles and successes, the love and yes, the bitterness and bias that make up the black experience in America.

And this helps explain, perhaps, my relationship with Reverend Wright. As imperfect as he may be, he has been like family to me. He strengthened my faith, officiated my wedding, and baptized my children. Not once in my conversations with him have I heard him talk about any ethnic group in derogatory terms, or treat whites with whom he interacted with anything but courtesy and respect. He contains within him the contradictions - the good and the bad - of the community that he has served diligently for so many years.

I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother - a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.

These people are a part of me. And they are a part of America, this country that I love. Barack Obama : : Change We Can Believe In | His Own Words

Great leader???:bowdown:

7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,989
    His apolgists will be along any minute to explain what he REALLY meant.

8. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,989
    Obama quits church, citing controversies - CNN.com

Politics pure and simply, promise to do one thing and then when expediant do another, or exact opposite.

Now we can remind him he "supported" the church until it was convenient not to.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  9. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Obama quits church, citing controversies - CNN.com

Politics pure and simply, promise to do one thing and then when expediant do another, or exact opposite.

Now we can remind him he "supported" the church until it was convenient not to.[/QUOTE]

Question is, will Obama pick a new church? If so, which church will it be?:rofl:

10. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,038
    i'm sure if david duke renounced (oh wait, obama did not renounce the church, just left it) and left the KKK, you obama lovers would all have been happy with him ;)