Obama greeted by Confederate flags in Oklahoma

No, and I won't try. I said "assume". I don't see your typical politician doing something he knows won't get him re-elected. But I don't call that selling out. They are supposed to be representing their constituents. It's why they get paid.

Selling out your constituents generally will not cause you to NOT get re-elected.

But a media frenzy? That can destroy you.

The mob has power. And it is not democracy.

Yes, IMO, these Senators failed in their job.

That is an issue for the citizens of SC. If you are one, you should express your point of view. If not, it really doesn't matter. Personally, I don't care if it's flying or not.

As the issue(s) are bigger than just one flag in one state, I do care.

The mob is driving policy. NOt the "wishes of the constituents."

YOu don't think this is over do you?

No. It isn't a bigger issue than that. Frankly, it's hardly an issue at all. I have thought about it and concluded it's just another pointless distraction. Wave the flag, don't wave it. I don't care either way.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the difference is between the mob and the constituency?

Mob:
"a large crowd of people, especially one that is disorderly and intent on causing trouble or violence."

Constituency:
"a body of voters in a specified area who elect a representative to a legislative body."

I generally go by normal english meanings of words.

I don't play word games.

So you think the state senators looked out their window at a crowd and were so impressed they just decided to make a vote with no consideration of what their constituency thought?

Selling out your constituents generally will not cause you to NOT get re-elected.

But a media frenzy? That can destroy you.

The mob has power. And it is not democracy.

Yes, IMO, these Senators failed in their job.

That is an issue for the citizens of SC. If you are one, you should express your point of view. If not, it really doesn't matter. Personally, I don't care if it's flying or not.

No. It isn't a bigger issue than that. Frankly, it's hardly an issue at all. I have thought about it and concluded it's just another pointless distraction. Wave the flag, don't wave it. I don't care either way.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the difference is between the mob and the constituency?

Mob:
"a large crowd of people, especially one that is disorderly and intent on causing trouble or violence."

Constituency:
"a body of voters in a specified area who elect a representative to a legislative body."

I don't play word games.

So you think the state senators looked out their window at a crowd and were so impressed they just decided to make a vote with no consideration of what their constituency thought?

Not so much a literal window, but in effect, yes.

Mob:

Constituency:

I don't play word games.

Interesting. I can't see it myself but I guess we'll know after the next round of elections.

Mob:

Constituency:

I don't play word games.

Interesting. I can't see it myself but I guess we'll know after the next round of elections.

I already addressed that. Simply "Selling out your constituents" generally does NOT get you fired.

Mob:

Constituency:

I don't play word games.

I already addressed that. Simply "Selling out your constituents" generally does NOT get you fired.

It does if the constituents actually think they have been sold out.

Mob:

Constituency:

I don't play word games.

It does if the constituents actually think they have been sold out.

THe voters (generally) will have the choice between a coward who would not stand up to the haters, and a hater.

Do you think that a month form now, if some lib makes some accusation about the South or the GOP being sooooo racist that I could point out that the South Carolina State Senate removed the Confederate FLag that that point will get the GOP or the South ANY CRED at all?

Probably not. You can't erase 300 years of stupidity by taking down one flag.

The idea of judging a whole population based on what one individual's actions is a fairly standard form of bigotry.

YOur rationalizations aside, you want to lock them up because they are different than you.

You are the hater here.

Yes, they are dumb, superstitious, racist assholes needing to be "cured" of their afflictions.

Thanks.

I'm not sure what else to say. YOu are a unapologetic bigot who wants to imprison people just for being different then yourself.

YOu are the hater here.

Do you think that a month form now, if some lib makes some accusation about the South or the GOP being sooooo racist that I could point out that the South Carolina State Senate removed the Confederate FLag that that point will get the GOP or the South ANY CRED at all?

Probably not. You can't erase 300 years of stupidity by taking down one flag.

LOL! Thanks for making my point again!

Thanks.

I'm not sure what else to say. YOu are a unapologetic bigot who wants to imprison people just for being different then yourself.

YOu are the hater here.

Yes, I hate backwards, homophobic, racist bigots who are so fucking stupid they vote against their own economic interests....

We have covered your rationalizations for your hate. THey are not really interesting and do not warrant more discussion.

I am not going to coddle you or pander to your bigotry by pretending that your "reasons" have any validity.

We have covered your rationalizations for your hate. THey are not really interesting and do not warrant more discussion.

I am not going to coddle you or pander to your bigotry by pretending that your "reasons" have any validity.

Guy, I know you are so sad that your Racist Heroes are finaly going to be expunged from their places of honor.

150 years too late.

Guy, I know you are so sad that your Racist Heroes are finaly going to be expunged from their places of honor.

150 years too late.

I have posted a link from directly after the Spanish American War that discussed how COnfederate Soldiers were moved TO Arlington and how Federal funds would be used for maintaining Confederate graves and monuments.

It has been American policy for over a hundred years that these various leaders are American Heroes.

THe reasons for that were included in the Presidents speech I cut and pasted.

I have posted a link from directly after the Spanish American War that discussed how COnfederate Soldiers were moved TO Arlington and how Federal funds would be used for maintaining Confederate graves and monuments.

It has been American policy for over a hundred years that these various leaders are American Heroes.

THe reasons for that were included in the Presidents speech I cut and pasted.

And it was a terrible idea.

The thing is, after World War II, we didn't let the Nazis keep their honor. We hung their leaders, we didn't let them build any monuments. they didn't get to call themelves heroes. Most Germans are ashamed of the Nazis today. As a result, Germany is largely a model international citizen.

We made the mistake of NOT punishing the South for its treason and racism. We are still paying for it today.

Finally, we are treating the Stars and Bars like the Swastika, something only racists celebrate. Too long in coming, as far as I'm concerned.

Forum List

Back