Obama compares Gulf spill to September 11

Don't call this disaster Obama's Katrina. Obama says it's like 9/11.

Sorry Mr. President, but I don't think that a terrorist act that killed over 3,000 innocent people can be compared to an accidental oil spill.

But he's not going to miss the chance to make this political. He's going to turn it into a bill that will kill the energy industry.

Obama Compares Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill to 9/11 - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Rick D.

70% of Americans don't think the president has been tough enough on BP.

You would be in the teeny weeny percent of Americans who thinks he's been too tough.

OH give it up, like the left wing didn't and don't continue to do so with comments made by BOOSH, Palin, Beck, Rush, etc etc? It's what people do.

Hardly to the extent of the right wing outlets. As I said, I had to go to Page 5 in a Google search of the Jones Act before I got any information other than the talking point criticisms all repeated here. That is par for the course, my friend.

I invite you to go read any of the myriad of Beck threads in the media forum then get back to me with who spins things. It's beyond crazy, Beck will say the most innocuous thing and here they come with "beck called obama a nazi" Quite amusing, but sad at the same time.

I'll tell you the truth Maggie, I don't think it's because they are spinning, I think it's because they simply don't have the ability to think for themselves. at all. Goes back to my statement of fact that most Americans are in fact idiots. Neither side is ever completely right and neither side is ever completely wrong, and anyone who says differently is a fool.

On all of that, I completely agree, except for Beck. In my opinion, he says outrageous things HOPING to get the response he inevitably does. I actually used to rather enjoy his show on HNN when he was more calm, rational, and presented a sane opposition to some of his guests instead of ranting like a madman like he does on Fox.

I watched both of those shows, but I'm abundantly informed on the issues too. So what do you think McTwitter would have done in this position if he had been elected?

An interesting question. I believe the most important difference is McCain would have been a LOT more sympathetic about the situation than Obama has been. Like him or not , no one can deny that McCain cares about people.

I also believe he wold have acted faster in bringing in some of the private ideas to clean up this mess, instead of watching the oil leak for 2 months while the problem was "studied."

[Sigh...] The loony fringe must be passing out a new Kool-aide flavor today. You too? I thought you at least READ updated news reports and wouldn't resort to a viral talking point that's easily a month old (they just add a few days onto it).

To be honest, all I've watched today is Nickelodeon. Have I missed something ? As far as I know Obama is still reluctant to allow anything new to be done to stop and or clean up the leak. What his reasoning is is beyond me, but no one can deny he is moving slow.

Hey Lonestar, you're starting to come across as a loon my man , dial it down a little, Maggie is in my estimation a fair minded person and there is no reason to keep treating her with the same contempt one shows loons like Biker and his ilk.

Sorry Mr. President, but I don't think that a terrorist act that killed over 3,000 innocent people can be compared to an accidental oil spill.

But he's not going to miss the chance to make this political. He's going to turn it into a bill that will kill the energy industry.

Rick D.

You would be in the teeny weeny percent of Americans who thinks he's been too tough.

I'm sorry, but you MIGHT want to learn how to read. Where exactly is BP mentioned in the above post? In fact I didn't say a word about BP. But nice try putting words in my mouth. I've never said Obama was being too tough on BP.

Rick

Exactly. The long-range comparison can be summarized:

911 attacks:

Immediate response to save lives, enormous cleanup of the debris, then improve the vicinity of Ground Zero and set plan in motion to rebuild WTC.

Ongoing response results in counterterrorism becoming a top priority.

Gulf oil disaster:

Immediate response to save lives, enormous effort to stop the gush and simultaneously try to minimize the effects on land and wildlife.

Ongoing reponse will result in environmental safety and protection becoming a top priority.

Immediate response is to save lives? Tell me just whose lives were being saved? If you want to compare 911 to an environmental disaster the Union Carbide leak in Bhopal, India would be a better comparison. The gas leak killed at least 4.000 local residents instantly and caused health problems such as oedema for at least 50.000 to perhaps 500.000 people. These health problems killed around 15.000 more victims in the years that followed. Approximately 100.000 people still suffer from chronic disease consequential to gas exposure, today. Research conducted by the BBC in 2004 pointed out that this pollution still causes people to fall ill, and ten more die every year.

Or how about the Russian nuclear power plant explosion in Chernobyl, the Italian dioxin crisis, the 1952 London smog disaster, the Love Canal chemical waste dump, the Baia Mare cyanide spill, the European BSE crisis, the Spanish waste water spill, or the Three Mile Island near nuclear disaster.

This oil leak will be stopped and the environment will recover. And I find it highly unlikely that any human deaths will result from the oil leak in the future.

Read more: Environmental disasters

Still waiting on you to answer the question posed to you Maggiedumbshit!

2004012130_Display-25.gif

Both caused by human stupidity and arrogance.

So 9/11 was caused by stupidity?

Or was it caused by a deliberate well funded group of terrorists?
You think trying to destroy the US by committing terrorist acts was a smart thing to do?

Look at what it did to our country.

All it would take to shut the USA down for months is a coordinated attack. What would it do to this country if a number suicide bombers all walked into malls, movie theaters and hotels and simultaneously struck?

So yes as a strategy terrorism can be considered smart.

Rick D.

let me guess, you got this 70% of Americans from a washingtoncompost-Pmsnbc poll.:lol:

Hardly to the extent of the right wing outlets. As I said, I had to go to Page 5 in a Google search of the Jones Act before I got any information other than the talking point criticisms all repeated here. That is par for the course, my friend.

I invite you to go read any of the myriad of Beck threads in the media forum then get back to me with who spins things. It's beyond crazy, Beck will say the most innocuous thing and here they come with "beck called obama a nazi" Quite amusing, but sad at the same time.

I'll tell you the truth Maggie, I don't think it's because they are spinning, I think it's because they simply don't have the ability to think for themselves. at all. Goes back to my statement of fact that most Americans are in fact idiots. Neither side is ever completely right and neither side is ever completely wrong, and anyone who says differently is a fool.

On all of that, I completely agree, except for Beck. In my opinion, he says outrageous things HOPING to get the response he inevitably does. I actually used to rather enjoy his show on HNN when he was more calm, rational, and presented a sane opposition to some of his guests instead of ranting like a madman like he does on Fox.

Oh, there is no doubt that he hams it up, for the benefit of his intended audience. I personally think he goes over the top, and get tired of his "the word is ending" scenarios, but when you look beyond the showmanship and just look at his facts they are always right on; but as per usual with idiots they make the wrong arguments. Instead of limiting their attacks on his style which can be rightfully questioned, they attack his facts, which can not be.... It's stupid.

I will say the same for some on the right, and have, when it comes to Obama. For example. Clearly the man is an American, so why do they even bother fighting that stupid fight when there are so many legitimate complaints about the job he is doing as President?

Both sides do it, and it's equally stupid from either.

Look in this very thread, that Jake guy, I don't even know him but out of the blue he calls me an idiot. Why? I think anyone with a modicum of reading ability could probably ascertain that I am no idiot. Having a differing opinion =/= being an idiot, but to simpletons that is exactly the case I suppose.

Lonestar_Logic's strawman argument just burns up as one thinks about it.

Ironically, the Bhopol and Chernoble tragedies are still ongoing, with people still getting sick, which ironically makes OBama's statement even more accurate.

He stated "In the same way that our view of our vulnerabilities and our foreign policy was shaped profoundly by 9/11 . . . I think this disaster is going to shape how we think about the environment and energy for many years to come". Do you find this comparison true or false?

Do you think he was saying planes crashed into the BP rig? Are you that stupid, really?

Do you really not know how to read? Where exactly did I even come anywhere close to saying what you're implying. What I said is that there is no comparison between these two events. I don't care if he was talking about how they shape policy. There is NO comparison. And only a fool would try to make a comparison. I guess Obama is that fool.

He's going to turn it into a bill that will kill the energy industry.
Really now? He's going to kill all energy for the entirety of the United State of America? You actually believe we will have no energy? What grade are you in?

As for the claim that he's only using the comparison for political support: YOU were the one who believes anything related to 9/11 automatically gets political support. I'll put that gem of an idea right next to killing energy.

Wow, you sure do read a lot into one sentence. Please point out for me exactly where I said "He's going to kill all energy for the entirety of the United States of America." Here's a little hint. I didn't say that. What I said is he's going to use this to push a bill that will kill the ENERGY INDUSTRY. I know you're not bright enough to see a difference between the two, but anyone with half a brain will. So you might want to just move along to a thread where your lack of intelligence is a little more suited.

And I'll also wait for you to point out where "I was the one who believes anything related to 9/11 automatically gets political support." Because once again I have NEVER said any such thing.

So, basically you're a flat out liar who can't read to save his life. Thanks for your input.

Rick

An interesting question. I believe the most important difference is McCain would have been a LOT more sympathetic about the situation than Obama has been. Like him or not , no one can deny that McCain cares about people.

I also believe he wold have acted faster in bringing in some of the private ideas to clean up this mess, instead of watching the oil leak for 2 months while the problem was "studied."

[Sigh...] The loony fringe must be passing out a new Kool-aide flavor today. You too? I thought you at least READ updated news reports and wouldn't resort to a viral talking point that's easily a month old (they just add a few days onto it).

To be honest, all I've watched today is Nickelodeon. Have I missed something ? As far as I know Obama is still reluctant to allow anything new to be done to stop and or clean up the leak. What his reasoning is is beyond me, but no one can deny he is moving slow.

Hey Lonestar, you're starting to come across as a loon my man , dial it down a little, Maggie is in my estimation a fair minded person and there is no reason to keep treating her with the same contempt one shows loons like Biker and his ilk.

While I thank you for your kind words, I don't see where you're getting that he is "reluctant" to clean up the spill. The more this lingers, the worse it is for him, politically, as is evidenced just by this thread alone.

Frankly, what I think we're faced with is a situation where NOBODY knows what to do that will result in a quick fix. Should Obama say that? Of course not. But I'll bet it's what is frustrating him to no end.

I should make it clear that I'm not specifically defending OBAMA on this tragic situation because of my political leanings. I think this whole situation would be extremely tough on any sitting president, even one I might despise (for political reasons). I would still be able to recognize that in these circumstances where there is no precedent, to simply make up crap does no good in solving the situation. I would trust the experts, including government experts and the president, to be much more on top of what's going on, what can and can't be done, more than I would trust the talking heads who continually try to weave political presumptions into it.

Immediate response is to save lives? Tell me just whose lives were being saved? If you want to compare 911 to an environmental disaster the Union Carbide leak in Bhopal, India would be a better comparison. The gas leak killed at least 4.000 local residents instantly and caused health problems such as oedema for at least 50.000 to perhaps 500.000 people. These health problems killed around 15.000 more victims in the years that followed. Approximately 100.000 people still suffer from chronic disease consequential to gas exposure, today. Research conducted by the BBC in 2004 pointed out that this pollution still causes people to fall ill, and ten more die every year.

Or how about the Russian nuclear power plant explosion in Chernobyl, the Italian dioxin crisis, the 1952 London smog disaster, the Love Canal chemical waste dump, the Baia Mare cyanide spill, the European BSE crisis, the Spanish waste water spill, or the Three Mile Island near nuclear disaster.

This oil leak will be stopped and the environment will recover. And I find it highly unlikely that any human deaths will result from the oil leak in the future.

Read more: Environmental disasters

Still waiting on you to answer the question posed to you Maggiedumbshit!

2004012130_Display-25.gif

That's what I thought. Go ahead and run away. You and I both know that you're full of shit.

Lonestar_Logic's strawman argument just burns up as one thinks about it.

Ironically, the Bhopol and Chernoble tragedies are still ongoing, with people still getting sick, which ironically makes OBama's statement even more accurate.

You're both fucking idiots. Tell me, are people dying from the Exxon Valdez spill? Do you honestly think people will be dying from this leak twenty years from now? You idiots are the ones defending Obama's comparison to 911. I've showed you that there have been far greater disasters that are more comparable in terms of lives lost and environmental impact than this damn leak. But go ahead and stay stupid your entire lives!

Hey fuck you!

While I thank you for your kind words, I don't see where you're getting that he is "reluctant" to clean up the spill. The more this lingers, the worse it is for him, politically, as is evidenced just by this thread alone.

Frankly, what I think we're faced with is a situation where NOBODY knows what to do that will result in a quick fix. Should Obama say that? Of course not. But I'll bet it's what is frustrating him to no end.

I should make it clear that I'm not specifically defending OBAMA on this tragic situation because of my political leanings. I think this whole situation would be extremely tough on any sitting president, even one I might despise (for political reasons). I would still be able to recognize that in these circumstances where there is no precedent, to simply make up crap does no good in solving the situation. I would trust the experts, including government experts and the president, to be much more on top of what's going on, what can and can't be done, more than I would trust the talking heads who continually try to weave political presumptions into it.

Oh, I don't think he's reluctant to take certain steps because he doesn't give a shit about the ecology, or because he doesn't understand that politically this is killing him. I think he's reluctant to act because he is NOT a leader. He just doesn't know how to respond quickly to an emergency. I was no fan of Bush's , but he DID know how to lead. Leading doesn't mean you always make the right decision, but it does mean you make A decision. That is the FIRST thing they teach you in Officer Candidacy School, that making the wrong decision might get someone killed , but making NO decision almost invariably will get someone killed.

Obama just doesn't have that within him to be a leader.

Hey fuck you!

wow dude, that was kinda an over reaction wasn't it? No problem for me, I'll just concede that you are in fact a loon and move on.

Forum List

Back