Obama compares Gulf spill to September 11

Two man made catastrophes.

Works for me.

Yep, I can see how it would work for an idiot.

One was intentional, the other was an accident.

Rick
Asshole, two man made catastrophes ... the oil spill has the potential to do much more damage in the long run.

Thank God Bush is no longer president, his answer would have been to invade Ireland.

Holy shit! There's oil terrorists in Ireland?!?!?!? Somebody get the UN on the red phone!!

Yep, I can see how it would work for an idiot.

One was intentional, the other was an accident.

Rick
Asshole, two man made catastrophes ... the oil spill has the potential to do much more damage in the long run.

Thank God Bush is no longer president, his answer would have been to invade Ireland.

Holy shit! There's oil terrorists in Ireland?!?!?!? Somebody get the UN on the red phone!!

Wait.... This oil spill was a man made disaster? So as I contended two weeks ago and it was denied, some do believe BP did this on purpose? Otherwise let's stop calling either of these a man made disaster. One was an industrial accident, one was a freaking terrorist act.

He's going to turn it into a bill that will kill the energy industry.
Excellent point. Obama proposes revising the tax code in a way that will drive most independent oil and gas producers out of business. Independents drill for and produce 80% of the oil and natural gas in this country. They are mostly comprised of very small family owned companies whose only income is from the oil or gas that is pumped out of the ground.

We should reduce our imports, not reduce our domestic production.

Sorry bout that,

1. So is oil our new enemy?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Oil has been our enemy since the Carter administration. It was he who coined the phrases "windfall profits" and "obscene profits". Carter had the opportunity to turn this nation around by calling on U.S. energy producers to lead us to independence from foreign soources of hydrocarbons. Instead, he labeled our countrymen as bandits and proceded to confiscate personal property in the guise of the Windfall Profits Tax.

Don't call this disaster Obama's Katrina. Obama says it's like 9/11.

Sorry Mr. President, but I don't think that a terrorist act that killed over 3,000 innocent people can be compared to an accidental oil spill.

But he's not going to miss the chance to make this political. He's going to turn it into a bill that will kill the energy industry.

Obama Compares Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill to 9/11 - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Rick D.

BHO said an "environmental 9-11", and it certainly is that. Quit politicizing the disaster, moron.

No facts or support for this demagoguery: "Excellent point. Obama proposes revising the tax code in a way that will drive most independent oil and gas producers out of business." Listen, Rush might lie and get away it, but you never will, not here.

Sorry Mr. President, but I don't think that a terrorist act that killed over 3,000 innocent people can be compared to an accidental oil spill.

But he's not going to miss the chance to make this political. He's going to turn it into a bill that will kill the energy industry.

Rick D.

BHO said an "environmental 9-11", and it certainly is that. Quit politicizing the disaster, moron.

Even though anyone other than an idiot understands the point he was making, poor choice of words agreed? He should have compared it to Katrina, A MUCH better , less sensitive comparison.

No facts or support for this demagoguery: "Excellent point. Obama proposes revising the tax code in a way that will drive most independent oil and gas producers out of business." Listen, Rush might lie and get away it, but you never will, not here.

It's written into Obama's proposed budget.

JCX-34-09

Tens of billions of dollars in provisions, most of which have been a part of the tax code for decades, will be erased. Many similar provisions are afforded other industries such as agriculture and manufacturing.

I generally don't fuck around here with respect to such issues. So don't fuck with me, thank you very much.

I went through Katrina, Rita, Ike in LA and TX and two in Florida in a four year period. They were all terrible, yet they will be nothing in comparison to the oil spill.

JCX-34-09

Tens of billions of dollars in provisions, most of which have been a part of the tax code for decades, will be erased. Many similar provisions are afforded other industries such as agriculture and manufacturing.

I generally don't fuck around here with respect to such issues. So don't fuck with me, thank you very much.

You haven't said anything other than there is a bill and give a link. That does not count, that is not analysis. Even if the provisions are eliminated, spell out how that is a bad thing for the businesses and for the taxpayer. Spell it out. I can't stand sloppy work.

I went through Katrina, Rita, Ike in LA and TX and two in Florida in a four year period. They were all terrible, yet they will be nothing in comparison to the oil spill.

That's debatable, but what isn't debatable is that an environmental disaster would have been a better comparison than a terrorist act. He is minimizing 9/11 by comparing it to this spill. PERIOD.

Actually another industrial accident would have been the BEST comparison, I would have compared it to Chernobyl myself.

For myself, I can definitely see a correlation:

Both catastrophes involve MASSIVE loss of innocent life, (I'm a little surprised that no one else is considering the sea life Actual Life)

and, (dear God in heaven, Please?)

this SHOULD change how we deal with Environmental crises, like demanding that some sort of Disaster Plan be on record as SOP.

Also, it sounds more like an analogy than a comparison, imho.

p.s. No, I'm not a libtard, and though I DO hate Obama (well, what he "stands" for), I just can't get too worked up about this since, in my heart of hearts, I hope/pray it's TRUE ~

that there WILL be a change in our responses to these sorts of events.

Just my 2¢.

Last edited:

JCX-34-09

You haven't said anything other than there is a bill and give a link. That does not count, that is not analysis. Even if the provisions are eliminated, spell out how that is a bad thing for the businesses and for the taxpayer. Spell it out. I can't stand sloppy work.

I'm not working for you. Unless you pay better than my current employer. :D

You go ahead and study up on the following. It will give you some background and provide for a much more productive debate. These are the individual tax provisoins that Obama wishes to modify or completely eradicate.

Get back to me and we'll discuss...

Intangible Drilling and Development Costs

Passive Loss Exception for Working Interests in Oil and Gas Properties

Geological and Geophysical (G&G) Amortization

Marginal Well Tax Credit

Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) Tax Credit

Tertiary Injectants Deduction

Manufacturing Tax Deduction

Rick D.

"An environmental 9/11" insinuates a terrorist act and quite frankly I think he was trying to do so. Easier to shift the blame that way. As far as I know, this was an accident. In my humble opinion, the comparison does not work.

Immie

Rick D.

Further his inaction and failure in this crises are NOTHING like what Bush did after 9/11.

Two man made catastrophes.

Works for me.

Not even close.

Sept 11 was a deliberate act designed to strike fear into the very hearts of Americans. It was meant to be a rallying cry for other Islamic terrorists to commit other terrorist acts with the sole purpose of destroying America and lets not forget the 3000 souls that perished in that attack.

The oils spill in the gulf and the resulting loss of life, while tragic, does not compare to Sept 11 in any way. The spill was not a deliberate act with malice aforethought. And quicker action would have prevented the spill from becoming the disaster that it is now.

That Obama, who by the way refused to waive the Jones Act
, which would have allowed foreign countries to send ships capable of cleaning up much of the oil, now compares the result of his lack of action to an attack the caused the deaths of 3000 innocents is reprehensible

The question we should be asking is why didn't Obama suspend the Jones Act and accept the very aid that would have lessened this disaster?

Last edited:
Obama said:
"In the same way that our view of our vulnerabilities and our foreign policy was shaped profoundly by 9/11 . . . I think this disaster is going to shape how we think about the environment and energy for many years to come". Do you find this comparison true or false?
Can any of you actually point out which part of that quote is incorrect or misleading?

anyone?

Mr. Obama is using his latest words as a political tool to push his climate change, cap & trade agenda.

I think his comparison of the two is sad and pathetic.
Some of you are talking about the profound impact both have on the American people. Yes, I can understand that. I don't live near NY or the Gulf but I can tell you that terrorist flying planes into our buildings and killing 3000 innocent people in one day had a much more affect on me than this oil spill has. Now I'm not trying to make light of the oil spill in any way. I just think camparing the spill to 9/11 was a cheap attempt at gaining some political ground.

Mr. Obama is using his latest words as a political tool to push his climate change, cap & trade agenda.

I think his comparison of the two is sad and pathetic.
Some of you are talking about the profound impact both have on the American people. Yes, I can understand that. I don't live near NY or the Gulf but I can tell you that terrorist flying planes into our buildings and killing 3000 innocent people in one day had a much more affect on me than this oil spill has. Now I'm not trying to make light of the oil spill in any way. I just think camparing the spill to 9/11 was a cheap attempt at gaining some political ground.

Get ready for Obama's energy version of the Patriot Act.

Sorry, but it's a cheap attempt to try to garner public support by using ANY comparison to September 11.

Rick D.

Total, utter BS. Just another partisan hack thread, taking something completely out of context to score a cheap point...well done, you have succeeded....beyond your wildest dreams..:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:
Yes, and it is rather sad he'd use the victims of both catastrophes to score cheap points. Sad and not surprising.

Obama is at least trying while the Republicans just make merry on the heads of Gulf coast residents.

Forum List

Back