Obama approves of same sex marriage

First Read - Obama backs same-sex marriage

The president had found himself under increasing pressure this week to state his position unequivocally after Vice President Joe Biden voiced support for same-sex marriage.

He explained that he had hesitated in fully supporting same-sex marriage because he thought civil unions would be sufficient.

"I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married," he told ABC.

"I am absolutely comfortable with the fact that men marrying men, women marrying women, and heterosexual men and women marrying another are entitled to the same exact rights, all the civil rights, all the civil liberties," Biden said on NBC’s "Meet the Press." "And quite frankly, I don't see much of a distinction beyond that."

I'm not so sure that is any different than what he said three years ago. In one of these two videos, watched it yesterday, he states that he is for civil unions, but agrees that a church should be allowed to marry homosexuals. Basically, he is simply couching that very same belief in his lastest statement.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6K9dS9wl7U]Barack Obama on Gay Marriage - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73oZ_pe1MZ8]Barack Obama on Gay Marriage - YouTube[/ame]

Three years ago, he stated same sex couples should be allowed to get married. He says the same thing here.

I hate to say it, but I agree. A same sex couple should be allowed to get married. If, they attend a church that will marry same sex couples then they have every right to be married.

On the other hand, the state should stay out of the marriage business altogether for both straight and gay couples.

Immie

PS thank you to Valarie for bringing these two videos to my attention yesterday.
And thank you for that comparison.

I agree that gay couples should be married and churches should be free to decide if they wish to or not wish to perform the ceremony.

I have nothing but respect for the man. Talk about being true to your convictions. He made this announcement in an election year, six months before we vote. Knowing what it could cost him. NOTHING but admiration and respect, Mr. President. Thank you.

In political terms this is called pandering to your base.
Fucking idiot - Blacks do not favor same-sex marriage. Are they not a huge part of his base?

They are a most essential part of his base. Without ENERGIZED black support, he loses.

.. and yes, we are seriously homophobic. Stupid as a doorknob on this issue.

I agree with Immie that Government should be out of the business of granting marriages.
Civil Unions are what the Government should be capable of performing.

He was trying to have it both ways but realized he had to make a decision. I personally support gay marriage as well but think Obama has been punking out due to his "evolving" views. Will it be a big deal in the election? Probably not. The economy as always will be what elects the next president.

This is the kind of issue that galvanizes people to get out and vote. Because this was on the ballot in North Carolina, the turnout was huge and the bill banning same sex marriage passed with 61% of the vote. North Carolina is (or was up to this point) a must win battleground state for obama, as Colorado is (or was) a battleground state. Colorado banned so much as civil unions.

This is just the kind of issue that is going to get people to the polls. There are conservatives on the fence about Romney, they won't be after today.

Y'all might want to brace yourselves for a similar endorsement by Romney.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight......the same way he prodded Obama to bail-out Detroit, right?

handjob.gif

Sure it is. If he's pandering now, why didn't he pander then.

I'll rewrite it in "herpaderp," if that's your primary language.

He really didn't have to pander in '08. He was a sure thing before....now he knows he's not.
It's the same old "who are they going to vote for, a republican?" bullshit that gays have been treated to for decades...Now that Boiking is in seriously deep shit electorally, he suddenly gets an epiphany and all the zombies burst to their feet in raucous cheering.

Whatta joke! :lol:

That's funny! This is going to be an easy Obama win.

Etch-A-Sketches no longer work in the Age Of YouTube.

I also believe that if the Obama campaign wants to take this election in the direction of social issues, they're fucked. Unless of course Romney allows them to. Which is entirely possible, he lacks backbone in my opinion.

I don't think Obama can allow an election in November.

He's anti-Israel, pro-Vlad Putin, anti-Capitalism and pro-gay marriage.

He loses all but NY and CA, maybe, that means Romney wins 55 states

The hell you say?....Little Lord Obammyroy throwing a bone to a favored political pressure group in an election year??

I am shocked, shocked, I tell you!

casablanca.jpg

You honestly, with all the rigid fundies posting right here at this very board, can't see what it is likely to cost him?

As if any of those "rigid fundies" were going to vote for him anyway.

Immie

Forum List

Back