Obama and Romney give more to charity than Santorum

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
From 2007 to 2009, Santorum's rate of charitable giving fluctuated between 2.03% and 2.67% of his earnings.

In 2010, the rate dropped to 1.76% of his $923,411 in income. That same year, President Obama gave 14.2% of his income to charity, while Mitt Romney donated 13.8% and Newt Gingrich gave 2.6%.

Ron Paul has not released his tax returns.

According to data from the IRS and the Congressional Budget Office, taxpayers with income in excess of $500,000 donate 3.4% of their income to charity on average.

"His donation level is on the low side," said Ken Berger, the president and CEO of Charity Navigator, who also noted that research suggests religious individuals donate more than the non-religious.

Santorum's charitable donations lag other candidates - Feb. 16, 2012

From 2007 to 2009, Santorum's rate of charitable giving fluctuated between 2.03% and 2.67% of his earnings.

In 2010, the rate dropped to 1.76% of his $923,411 in income. That same year, President Obama gave 14.2% of his income to charity, while Mitt Romney donated 13.8% and Newt Gingrich gave 2.6%.

According to data from the IRS and the Congressional Budget Office, taxpayers with income in excess of $500,000 donate 3.4% of their income to charity on average.

"His donation level is on the low side," said Ken Berger, the president and CEO of Charity Navigator, who also noted that research suggests religious individuals donate more than the non-religious.

Does he tithe weekly at Church? And is tithing even counted in charitable donations? Just curious.

That doesn't matter in my vote, and I doubt if it enters in the analysis of many others'.

Santorum is substantially less wealthy that some of the other candidates, and he has many children, at least one of whom suffers from a serious chronic illness. Given that, I don't think his donation level necessarily indicates a less charitable spirit than others.

Does he tithe weekly at Church? And is tithing even counted in charitable donations? Just curious.

Only if they report it and request a deduction.

I teach that reporting charity givings is counter what Jesus taught.

Santorum is substantially less wealthy that some of the other candidates, and he has many children, at least one of whom suffers from a serious chronic illness. Given that, I don't think his donation level necessarily indicates a less charitable spirit than others.
He is still well off with best health insurance, as he has stated; perhaps he gives through his church, and does not request the deduction. Such deductions are scrutinized.

He is still well off with best health insurance, as he has stated; perhaps he gives through his church, and does not request the deduction. Such deductions are scrutinized.

I think Slick Rick is paid up at the Church for a good while yet, due to that $50 million chunk of property he weaseled from disabled veterans for them...

Forum List

Back