Obama: America's 'Deeply Rooted' Racism Will Take Time To Tackle

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is prescribing time and vigilance to tackle problems as entrenched in American society as racism and bias.

He also is urging patience, saying progress usually comes in small steps.

In an interview with BET, the president described his conversation with a group of young civil rights activists, including a leader of protests in Ferguson, Missouri, he hosted last week in the Oval Office.

Obama said he told them that "this is something that is deeply rooted in our society, it's deeply rooted in our history."

America has made gains, and that "gives us hope" of making more progress, he said.

"We can't equate what is happening now to what was happening 50 years ago," Obama said, "and if you talk to your parents, grandparents, uncles, they'll tell you that things are better, not good in some places, but better."

Obama said he is advising young people to be persistent because "typically progress is in steps, it's in increments.

More: Obama: 'America's 'Deeply Rooted' Racism Will Take Time To Tackle

President Obama is correct - but none of us will ever live long enough to see it end. I can't even imagine how it can or will end. Will it ever end before humans become extinct?

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is prescribing time and vigilance to tackle problems as entrenched in American society as racism and bias.

In an interview with BET, the president described his conversation with a group of young civil rights activists, including a leader of protests in Ferguson, Missouri, he hosted last week in the Oval Office.

Obama said he told them that "this is something that is deeply rooted in our society, it's deeply rooted in our history."

America has made gains, and that "gives us hope" of making more progress, he said.

"We can't equate what is happening now to what was happening 50 years ago," Obama said, "and if you talk to your parents, grandparents, uncles, they'll tell you that things are better, not good in some places, but better."

Obama said he is advising young people to be persistent because "typically progress is in steps, it's in increments.

President Obama is correct - but none of us will ever live long enough to see it end. I can't even imagine how it can or will end. Will it ever end before humans become extinct?

I disagree. I'd say 2 generations more at most. 50 years ago it was okay to say black people were subhuman. Today your opinion is immediately dismissed if you're a racist in almost all forums (anywhere I'm not just talking internet). Well except USMB/Stormfront Lite. I don't think affirmative action will be around much longer and 50 years from now skin color won't be a problem. Ideologies and religions however...

ROFL biggest racist POS in this country... lecturing us on racism.

Yep, only a fucking idiot would claim that Obama hasn't made things WORSE.

Pitiful to, that could have been his legacy to finally END the racism.

I mean seriously. how much good could he have done if ONE time he would have stood up in the White House and said " Look , in THIS instance, the black man was wrong to claim racism?"

And NO ONE is truly stupid enough to believe that in 6 years Obama simply hasn't seen an instance of black man claiming racism where none existed.

I mean seriously. how much good could he have done if ONE time he would have stood up in the White House and said " Look , in THIS instance, the black man was wrong to claim racism?"

And NO ONE is truly stupid enough to believe that in 6 years Obama simply hasn't seen an instance of black man claiming racism where none existed.
Democrats benefit from racism. Why would they want to end a good thing?

If that's true the GOP should be working hard to end racism. I wonder why they aren't?

BINGO

If that's true the GOP should be working hard to end racism. I wonder why they aren't?
What can they do to "end" racism? How do you propose they "end" the democrat party?

The party of Old White Men will get around to it, as soon as their corporate masters figure out how to make ending racism pay or using it to avoid taxes.

What can they do to "end" racism? How do you propose they "end" the democrat party?

I don't propose they end the Democratic Party, I propose they fundamentally transform it. :D

Seriously, the Dem Party obviously has some good platform issues, but continually falling back on " look, the white people hate e'erybody" is just lame.

The party of Old White Men will get around to it, as soon as their corporate masters figure out how to make ending racism pay or using it to avoid taxes.

Ah, another idiot to place on ignore, thanks for reminding me...

I don't propose they end the Democratic Party, I propose they fundamentally transform it. :D

Seriously, the Dem Party obviously has some good platform issues, but continually falling back on " look, the white people hate e'erybody" is just lame.
And also true of course.

Ah, another idiot to place on ignore, thanks for reminding me...
And yet another child runs away from reality. Run to mommy Sweetheart, she'll protect you.

Obama: America's 'Deeply Rooted' Racism Will Take Time To Tackle

Even more, now that our first black President made it worse.

In the conservatives version of history I've personally heard spoken of many times, the slaves didn't really have it as bad as some say. No, they were given a place to live and a livelihood. They seem to interpret that movie, Song of the South, as if it was meant as a biographical depiction of how happy slaves really were.

No doubt, in this depiction of history, people who were trying to set the slaves free were rabble rousers who fostered race hatred by trying to disrupt an equitable system that provide the po' Black folk with a job and a home.

Do conservatives really think most people that that kind of tripe seriously? It only serves to make conservatives look like the racists other people say they are.

Forum List

Back