NYTimes Public Editor: 'I Was Wrong About Ferguson'

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
They're now crawling back and begging for forgiveness.

The public editor of The New York Times has joined a growing number of journalists and pundits who are backing away from key elements of their initial coverage of the Michael Brown shooting in Ferguson, Missouri.

Margaret Sullivan, the Times' in-house critic and reader liaison, wrote on Monday that she was wrong last year to call out her Times colleagues because they quoted unnamed sources who supported Officer Darren Wilson's account of the fateful Aug. 9 encounter.

"Now, with the benefit of hindsight, I want to acknowledge that I misjudged an important element of that story," Sullivan wrote in her blog.

In the earlier post, Sullivan ripped an Aug. 20 Times story, "Shooting Accounts Differ As Holder Schedules Visit to Ferguson," as "an object lesson in the problems of dubious equivalency and anonymous sources."

Her charge was that Times reporters and editors wrongly gave equal weight to conflicting accounts of the shooting, despite having named sources for eyewitness claims that Brown had his hands up in attempted surrender, and only "ghosts" — anonymous police sources — who said Brown was advancing on Wilson when he was shot.

The claims of the former became the basis for the "Hands up, Don't Shoot!" rallying cry that was acted out and chanted at protests across the country, and worn on T-shirts as part of a movement that painted Brown as a victim of race-conscious police brutality.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com NYTimes Public Editor I Was Wrong About Ferguson
Urgent: Rate Obama on His Job Performance. Vote Here Now!

Tell them to tell the people in Ferguson that. Better yet, let them ask Obama's sidekick "Shady Al" Sharpton to go with them and they both can apologize.

They're supposed to be Investigative Reporters NOT Advocates. All they do is what for the latest talking points that they can parrot.

Just like many posters here.

The public editor of The New York Times has joined a growing number of journalists and pundits who are backing away from key elements of their initial coverage of the Michael Brown shooting in Ferguson, Missouri.

Margaret Sullivan, the Times' in-house critic and reader liaison, wrote on Monday that she was wrong last year to call out her Times colleagues because they quoted unnamed sources who supported Officer Darren Wilson's account of the fateful Aug. 9 encounter.

"Now, with the benefit of hindsight, I want to acknowledge that I misjudged an important element of that story," Sullivan wrote in her blog.

In the earlier post, Sullivan ripped an Aug. 20 Times story, "Shooting Accounts Differ As Holder Schedules Visit to Ferguson," as "an object lesson in the problems of dubious equivalency and anonymous sources."

Her charge was that Times reporters and editors wrongly gave equal weight to conflicting accounts of the shooting, despite having named sources for eyewitness claims that Brown had his hands up in attempted surrender, and only "ghosts" — anonymous police sources — who said Brown was advancing on Wilson when he was shot.

The claims of the former became the basis for the "Hands up, Don't Shoot!" rallying cry that was acted out and chanted at protests across the country, and worn on T-shirts as part of a movement that painted Brown as a victim of race-conscious police brutality.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com NYTimes Public Editor I Was Wrong About Ferguson
Urgent: Rate Obama on His Job Performance. Vote Here Now!
NYT is a Communist infested rag whose people get high sniffing Obama's bicycle seat.

An insincere apology. Now if she said "I was a fuckin' douche-bag fuck knuckle.......", her apology would've been credible.

She suffers from the loony leftist disease. Meanwhile Brown's buddy, the progenitor of the bogus story that set Ferguson ablaze has a fine new job with the city while the cop he smeared has none.

By the way, where can I buy some of those magic bullets? Mine won't hit somebody 3 times in the front while they're running away, like Brown's buddy said happened.

Maybe they should help Ferguson rebuild.
Tell them to tell the people in Ferguson that. Better yet, let them ask Obama's sidekick "Shady Al" Sharpton to go with them and they both can apologize.

She suffers from the loony leftist disease. Meanwhile Brown's buddy, the progenitor of the bogus story that set Ferguson ablaze has a fine new job with the city while the cop he smeared has none.

Huh? The city gave that thug shithead a city job?

Michael Brown's friend hired by city of St. Louis
Dorian Johnson working through state-grant program

ST. LOUIS —The man who was with Michael Brown when he was shot to death by a Ferguson police officer has been hired by the city of St. Louis through a training program.
Mayor Francis Slay's chief of staff, Jeff Rainford, confirmed Monday that Dorian Johnson, 22, is working through a state-grant program called St. Louis' Agency on Training and Employment, or SLATE.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported the temporary job pays about $8.50 an hour. Rainford said Johnson met the program's low-income eligibility requirements.

Johnson was with Brown at a Ferguson business when Brown allegedly stole a box of cigarillos and shoved a store employee shortly before the confrontation with Wilson.

Michael Brown s friend hired by city of St. Louis Local News - KMBC Home

Good. Now Ferguson should sue his lying ass, since he has a job and can pay what he cost the town and citizens.

Shady Al Sharpton can represent him, and his good buddy Obama can go along. The circus can't ever have too many clowns!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back