Nurse Jackie -- (anyone)?

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
All I will say without someone to compare notes with is, what a surprisingly poignant ending! The final five minutes actually transformed the entire series, which sometimes became annoyingly silly and trite, into an amazingly well-crafted and cleverly constructed tragedy.

Edie Falco did an excellent job as Jackie. I can't think of anyone who could have done as well except maybe Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Anyone else watch it?

Yet another popular tv drama which highlights the contemporary American dilemmas with financial desperation, crime and the Drug War.

Funny how the best of the shows have become so ingrained in American thought over the course of the past 10 years. It means something.

I think most of us can in some way relate.

All I will say without someone to compare notes with is, what a surprisingly poignant ending! The final five minutes actually transformed the entire series, which sometimes became annoyingly silly and trite, into an amazingly well-crafted and cleverly constructed tragedy.

Edie Falco did an excellent job as Jackie. I can't think of anyone who could have done as well except maybe Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Anyone else watch it?

MikeK

Let me just take a wild ass guess on something here.

You voted for Obama and you were pleased that the Supreme Court decided in favor of homosexual marriage?

MikeK

Why not? I suspect you have a lot of experience at wild-ass guessing, so have at it.

You voted for Obama and you were pleased that the Supreme Court decided in favor of homosexual marriage?
I did vote for Obama, mainly because was a vast improvement over the simple-minded elitist fop who preceded him and nearly collapsed the economy in addition to doing irreparable damage to our Nation's reputation and perpetrating a monumental war crime. And while Obama has been a disappointment in many ways at least he hasn't been a tragi-comic embarrassment in a cowboy hat and boots.

Re: homosexual marriage: I couldn't care less about that issue. It's none of my business if someone wants to marry a farm animal. But I know less about that sort of thing than many of my hee-haw countrymen do.

Now, have you anything interesting to say about the Nurse Jackie series?

MikeK

Why not? I suspect you have a lot of experience at wild-ass guessing, so have at it.

I did vote for Obama, mainly because was a vast improvement over the simple-minded elitist fop who preceded him and nearly collapsed the economy in addition to doing irreparable damage to our Nation's reputation and perpetrating a monumental war crime. And while Obama has been a disappointment in many ways at least he hasn't been a tragi-comic embarrassment in a cowboy hat and boots.

Re: homosexual marriage: I couldn't care less about that issue. It's none of my business if someone wants to marry a farm animal. But I know less about that sort of thing than many of my hee-haw countrymen do.

Nothing to add because I have not watched much of the show. My wife watches it. However, you just confirmed my stereotype of what kind of guy that would watch a chick flick series like that.

Just one more question and then I will leave you alone. Did you model for this ad?

PajamaBoy.jpg

Last edited:
MikeK

Nothing to add because I have not watched much of the show. My wife watches it. However, you just confirmed my stereotype of what kind of guy that would watch a chick flick series like that.

Just one more question and then I will leave you alone. Did you model for this ad?

PajamaBoy.jpg
Keepers at NYC's Bronx Zoo have installed plexiglas barriers beyond the bars of some cages in the primate exhibit because the monkeys there are known to defecate into their hands and throw it when something upsets them. The monkeys do this when they are frustrated because all that a monkey in a cage can do when he doesn't like something is throw shit.

Ignorance and stupidity are metaphorical cages. Personal insults and empty ad hominem comments are analogous to handfuls of shit to be tossed out in place of intelligent, reasoned, logical arguments.

No more soup for you.

MikeK

PajamaBoy.jpg
Keepers at NYC's Bronx Zoo have installed plexiglas barriers beyond the bars of some cages in the primate exhibit because the monkeys there are known to defecate into their hands and throw it when something upsets them. The monkeys do this when they are frustrated because all that a monkey in a cage can do when he doesn't like something is throw shit.

Ignorance and stupidity are metaphorical cages. Personal insults and empty ad hominem comments are analogous to handfuls of shit to be tossed out in place of intelligent, reasoned, logical arguments.

No more soup for you.

So you were the model! I knew it!

Looks like I called everything correct.

Obama voter - check

Supports homosexuality - check

Pajama Boy model - check

Lets us know your thoughts on Nurse Jackie. We are dying to know.

Nurse Jackie is a junkie I hated her manipulations and lying I am glad it is over with her experiencing an OD.

Nurse Jackie is a junkie I hated her manipulations and lying I am glad it is over with her experiencing an OD.
If the deceitful, manipulative aspect was the only side of her personality anyone would be forced by circumstances to agree with your very objective assessment -- and the entire series would have been an inane waste of audience time. In fact there were times when I couldn't help but despise her totally selfish maneuvers. But there was more to the story. And the brilliance of the plot is the way it all came together in the final scene,

Nurse Jackie was presented to us as two separate personalities, the good and the bad. The real point of the story is the way the addictive personality, regardless of its positive component, can be transformed into a selfish, scheming liar who routinely deceives even him/her self. The art of the tale is the way this insidious effect is presented to us.

This is not to say all degenerate junkies start off as noble souls. But a substantial percentage of them begin life as decent, productive people who happen to be addictive personalities (a recognized psychological disorder) and who make the mistake of popping that first unnecessary pill -- which is the way most narcotic addictions start.

The Nurse Jackie series was a story within a story, comparable to a Biblical parable. Unless one is willing to look for its meaning the meaning will be lost and watching the series will be a waste of time for them.

Bottom line: Narcotics are, for some, the the devil's embrace.

Last edited:
If the deceitful, manipulative aspect was the only side of her personality anyone would be forced by circumstances to agree with your very objective assessment -- and the entire series would have been an inane waste of audience time. In fact there were times when I couldn't help but despise her totally selfish maneuvers. But there was more to the story. And the brilliance of the plot is the way it all came together in the final scene,

Nurse Jackie was presented to us as two separate personalities, the good and the bad. The real point of the story is the way the addictive personality, regardless of its positive aspect, can be transformed into a selfish, scheming liar who routinely deceives even him/her self. The art of the tale is the way this insidious effect is presented to us.

This is not to say all degenerate junkies start off as noble souls. But a substantial percentage of them begin life as decent, productive people who happen to be addictive personalities (a recognized psychological disorder) and who make the mistake of popping that first pill -- which is the way most narcotic addictions start.

The Nurse Jackie series was a story within a story, comparable to a Biblical parable. Unless one is willing to look for its meaning the meaning will be lost and watching the series will be a waste of time for them.

Bottom line: Narcotics are, for some, the the devil's embrace.

The story was implausible from the practical aspect, how could anyone who has gotten caught the way she had continue in their chosen field? Having dealt with similar situations over a numbers of years, I found myself saying buillshit over and over again. IMO the addictive personality comes before the substance abuse. and can be traced back to childhood with glaring examples it is only when the drug is taken that the junkie finds their first love and will do anything to keep that flame going.

Creator Liz Brixius says, ""She's Houdini! She's the luckiest addict in the world." I say bullshit Nurse Jackie was a contrived piece of garbage.

Forum List

Back