Nunes sues Twitter, some users, seeks over $250M alleging anti-conservative 'shadow bans,' smears

Anyone notice that this action by Nunes coincided with more Trump tweets threatening FaceBook this time?

Seems this the GOP strategy for 2020, attack the 1st amendment

It's not like the Democrats think any differently. Not long ago they were talking about re-instituting the Fairness Doctrine. Recently the DNC forbade Fox from hosting any of the Democrat primaries.
I see what you did there.

The DNC refused an offer from Fox. That's tough titty for Trump's personal propaganda channel.

It was a dumb move by the DNC, though. The only way any Trumpanzee will ever hear an unedited Democrat for themselves is only if they are on Fox.

You think defending multi billion dollar corporations' "right" to censor speech online is a winning strategy for democrats?

anyone that supports the 1st amendment would defended any private companies right to censor anything they fucking like.

only a fucking statist would want the central government to be involved in this.

You think defending multi billion dollar corporations' "right" to censor speech online is a winning strategy for democrats?

anyone that supports the 1st amendment would defended any private companies right to censor anything they fucking like.

only a fucking statist would want the central government to be involved in this.

Aw those poor corporations being picked on by the mean old government, so so sad.

Aw those poor corporations being picked on by the mean old government, so so sad.

yes, yes it is. Does not matter if they are big corporations or a tiny site like this one.

they should have the freedom to run their business as they see fit.

but statist like you will never let that happen if they can help it

If Nunes can sue some people who made unflattering remarks about him, does that mean that the people that Trump insulted on Twitter can sue him?

You guys may want to be careful what genies you let out of the bottle. Trump has already released one when he declared his "border emergency". Now, future presidents might take that as a cue that they can do the same thing when it comes to future presidential pet projects.

It's progress. This Nunes lawsuit and the Covington kid's lawsuit is progress. I'm not sure the Deripaska lawsuit will get anywhere though??

None of these lawsuits will go anywhere, because the people are bringing this on themselves. The Covington Kid's lawsuit has absolutely no hope of succeeding.

Persecuted by the media for the crime of smiling in public while white.

It's progress. This Nunes lawsuit and the Covington kid's lawsuit is progress. I'm not sure the Deripaska lawsuit will get anywhere though??

None of these lawsuits will go anywhere, because the people are bringing this on themselves. The Covington Kid's lawsuit has absolutely no hope of succeeding.
The bad press towards the media through this process will be worth every dime spent.
I'm willing to bet their will be a settlement

Last edited:
It's not like the Democrats think any differently. Not long ago they were talking about re-instituting the Fairness Doctrine. Recently the DNC forbade Fox from hosting any of the Democrat primaries.

For once I agree with you, the Dems are no better. yet so many people will vote for one or the other because it is somehow "less evil".
Dims are 1000 times worse. They are utterly unscrupulous.

both sides are utterly unscrupulous, both sides put their party before the country. both sides do not give a fuck about you or me.
Bullshit.

The bad press towards the media through this process will be worth every dime spent.
I'm willing to bet their will be a settlement
The only question is whether it will be closer to $5 million or $50 million.

And it begins. I predict this will be just the first of a flood of lawsuits against these internet media companies. They brought it on themselves.

California GOP Rep. Devin Nunes filed a major lawsuit seeking $250 million in compensatory damages and $350,000 in punitive damages against Twitter and a handful of its users on Monday, accusing the social media site of "shadow-banning conservatives" including himself to influence the 2018 elections, systematically censoring opposing viewpoints and totally "ignoring" lawful complaints of repeated abusive behavior.

In a complaint filed in Virginia state court on Monday, obtained by Fox News, Nunes said Twitter was guilty of "knowingly hosting and monetizing content that is clearly abusive, hateful and defamatory – providing both a voice and financial incentive to the defamers – thereby facilitating defamation on its platform."

Although federal law ordinarily exempts services like Twitter from defamation liability, Nunes' suit said the platform has taken such an active role in curating and banning content that it should face liability like any other organization that defames.

"Twitter created and developed the content at issue in this case by transforming false accusations of criminal conduct, imputed wrongdoing, dishonesty and lack of integrity into a publicly available commodity used by unscrupulous political operatives and their donor/clients as a weapon," Nunes' legal team wrote. "Twitter is 'responsible' for the development of offensive content on its platform because it in some way specifically encourages development of what is offensive about the content."

I doubt the Numes suit will go anywhere, but the Covington suit just might.

And it begins. I predict this will be just the first of a flood of lawsuits against these internet media companies. They brought it on themselves.

California GOP Rep. Devin Nunes filed a major lawsuit seeking $250 million in compensatory damages and $350,000 in punitive damages against Twitter and a handful of its users on Monday, accusing the social media site of "shadow-banning conservatives" including himself to influence the 2018 elections, systematically censoring opposing viewpoints and totally "ignoring" lawful complaints of repeated abusive behavior.

In a complaint filed in Virginia state court on Monday, obtained by Fox News, Nunes said Twitter was guilty of "knowingly hosting and monetizing content that is clearly abusive, hateful and defamatory – providing both a voice and financial incentive to the defamers – thereby facilitating defamation on its platform."

Although federal law ordinarily exempts services like Twitter from defamation liability, Nunes' suit said the platform has taken such an active role in curating and banning content that it should face liability like any other organization that defames.

"Twitter created and developed the content at issue in this case by transforming false accusations of criminal conduct, imputed wrongdoing, dishonesty and lack of integrity into a publicly available commodity used by unscrupulous political operatives and their donor/clients as a weapon," Nunes' legal team wrote. "Twitter is 'responsible' for the development of offensive content on its platform because it in some way specifically encourages development of what is offensive about the content."
Can't go anywhere, Twitter is a private company and can refuse service to whomever they please.

You kids probably should have baked those gay wedding cakes, then you might have a leg to stand on.
That is, until the DOJ goes after them for violating the Sherman anti-trust act.

None of them are going anywhere.

Forum List

Back