Nuking the Filibuster will bite dems in the ass.......

Listening

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2011
Parting Shot Retiring Senate Democrat Takes Swipe at Harry Reid for Nuking Filibuster - Daniel Doherty

From retiring senator Levin's speech:

“I believe the excessive use of the filibuster to obstruct confirmation of President Obama’s nominees was damaging to the Senate and to the nation,” he acknowledged. “But the Senate majority eliminated obstructions to presidential nominations through the use of the nuclear option, effectively accomplishing a rules change outside the rules, a method I could not support. In doing so, a precedent was established that the majority could effectively change the rules as it wished, by overruling the chair and the parliamentarian. That precedent will not serve the country well in the future, because it leaves the minority with no protection, diminishing the unique role of the United States Senate. I hope the Senate next year considers reversing that precedent while simultaneously, and I emphasize simultaneously, amending the rules so as to assure a president’s ability to fulfill his or her constitutional duties."

Sen. Levin was one of only a handful of Senate Democrats to oppose what members of both parties have called, at one time or another, a "naked power grab."

Well, guess who owns the show now.

You libs can bend over and kiss it good-bye.

The rule will not be changed back by the GOP. Why should they? The Dems have proven themlseves unreliable and it would effectively mean two rules: one for Dems and one for the GOP.
Suck it, Dems.

Pa

If they want a filibuster it should be a real filibuster.

I look forward to seeing all of the Republicans who said the changes were wrong when Democrats were in power, embrace them now that Republicans are in power.

And yes- I expect Democrats to whine as loudly as Republicans about it.

Pa

If they want a filibuster it should be a real filibuster.

I look forward to seeing all of the Republicans who said the changes were wrong when Democrats were in power, embrace them now that Republicans are in power.

And yes- I expect Democrats to whine as loudly as Republicans about it.
That is not the real problem IMHO. I think the republicans will expand it to include more than the dems used it for.

The filibuster is likely going to go out the window over the next decade or so if you ask me and that is going to change things for the worse.

The rule will not be changed back by the GOP. Why should they? The Dems have proven themlseves unreliable and it would effectively mean two rules: one for Dems and one for the GOP.
Suck it, Dems.

I'm going to disagree with you. We need congress to be run the way our founders intended. The nuke option needs to go and if McConell is serious about bringing the senate back he needs to do it.

Suck it, Dems.

I'm going to disagree with you. We need congress to be run the way our founders intended. The nuke option needs to go and if McConell is serious about bringing the senate back he needs to do it.
The real question though is not weather or not he should do it but WILL he?

I don't think he will. The Washington trend is to keep power once it is garnered.

Suck it, Dems.

The real question though is not weather or not he should do it but WILL he?

I don't think he will. The Washington trend is to keep power once it is garnered.

We will see.. Won't we?

Suck it, Dems.

^ Starkey clone

Suck it, Dems.

^ Starkey clone

You know the tea party would agree with me? How am I a jackass starky clone? Gotta be a lot more clearer than that. Also the crusades ended hundreds of years ago. Just thought you should know..

Suck it, Dems.

Why, Jake?

Suck it, Dems.

^ Starkey clone

You know the tea party would agree with me? How am I a jackass starky clone? Gotta be a lot more clearer than that. Also the crusades ended hundreds of years ago. Just thought you should know..

Why does the Reid option "need to go"?

Suck it, Dems.

Why, Jake?

I'm not jake you dick. I'm judicial review, which is the 1 major power of the judicial branch that the founders intended it to have. Respect it.

Why? Because it's against the constitution and law of the land and not in any way legal for the senate to operate with it in place. It also, screws up the proper process. A power grab.

Suck it, Dems.

^ Starkey clone

Why does the Reid option "need to go"?

You only need to ask the question once with me buddy. I have an IQ over 130.

Ralxl6u.png

Suck it, Dems.

Why, Jake?

I'm not jake you dick. I'm judicial review, which is the 1 major power of the judicial branch that the founders intended it to have. Respect it.

Why? Because it's against the constitution and law of the land and not in any way legal for the senate to operate with it in place. It also, screws up the proper process. A power grab.

Jake is a prototype fake Republican poster

FILIBUSTER:
the use of obstructionist tactics, especially prolonged speechmaking, for the purpose of delaying legislative action.

an action such as a prolonged speech that obstructs progress in a legislative assembly while not technically contravening the required procedures.

IF any one party wants to use the "FILIBUSTER", i say use as defined, not some wimpy :bsflag: that really is NOT a filibuster as defined.

ehh.., just my OPINION !!

Forum List

Back