Nuking the Filibuster will bite dems in the ass.......

Parting Shot Retiring Senate Democrat Takes Swipe at Harry Reid for Nuking Filibuster - Daniel Doherty

From retiring senator Levin's speech:

“I believe the excessive use of the filibuster to obstruct confirmation of President Obama’s nominees was damaging to the Senate and to the nation,” he acknowledged. “But the Senate majority eliminated obstructions to presidential nominations through the use of the nuclear option, effectively accomplishing a rules change outside the rules, a method I could not support. In doing so, a precedent was established that the majority could effectively change the rules as it wished, by overruling the chair and the parliamentarian. That precedent will not serve the country well in the future, because it leaves the minority with no protection, diminishing the unique role of the United States Senate. I hope the Senate next year considers reversing that precedent while simultaneously, and I emphasize simultaneously, amending the rules so as to assure a president’s ability to fulfill his or her constitutional duties."

Sen. Levin was one of only a handful of Senate Democrats to oppose what members of both parties have called, at one time or another, a "naked power grab."

Well, guess who owns the show now.

You libs can bend over and kiss it good-bye.
The next Republican President will have a cornucopia of power grabbing precedents set by Obama and the Dems to pick and choose from, as he takes this country further right than it has ever been.

Thankfully, it will be a generation before we see another Republican President
You will eat that post in two years.
Doubtful

With the current alignment of he electoral college, Republicans need a near sweep of the swing states
Depending on how inept a candidate they run, we will see how big a landslide Hillary wins by
Dems will take back the Senate also
Hillary is a fuckin' joke.

Elizabeth Warren is relegating Hillary to obscurity.

The rule will not be changed back by the GOP. Why should they? The Dems have proven themlseves unreliable and it would effectively mean two rules: one for Dems and one for the GOP.
Suck it, Dems.

I'm going to disagree with you. We need congress to be run the way our founders intended. The nuke option needs to go and if McConell is serious about bringing the senate back he needs to do it.

Why, Jake?

I'm not jake you dick. I'm judicial review, which is the 1 major power of the judicial branch that the founders intended it to have. Respect it.

Why? Because it's against the constitution and law of the land and not in any way legal for the senate to operate with it in place. It also, screws up the proper process. A power grab.

The founders did not create Judicial Review.

The Supreme Court took the power for themselves, and got away with it.

Annotation 13 - Article III - FindLaw

Article III clearly gives SCOTUS the final decision for judicial review

"The judicial power shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution, the laws of the United States, and treaties made, or which shall be made, under their authority;--to all cases affecting ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls;--to all cases of admiralty and maritime jurisdiction;--to controversies to which the United States shall be a party;"

How funny that the far right whined about Harry and his power, and now they are quite willing to do what should have been long before Harry.

Parting Shot Retiring Senate Democrat Takes Swipe at Harry Reid for Nuking Filibuster - Daniel Doherty

“I believe the excessive use of the filibuster to obstruct confirmation of President Obama’s nominees was damaging to the Senate and to the nation,” he acknowledged. “But the Senate majority eliminated obstructions to presidential nominations through the use of the nuclear option, effectively accomplishing a rules change outside the rules, a method I could not support. In doing so, a precedent was established that the majority could effectively change the rules as it wished, by overruling the chair and the parliamentarian. That precedent will not serve the country well in the future, because it leaves the minority with no protection, diminishing the unique role of the United States Senate. I hope the Senate next year considers reversing that precedent while simultaneously, and I emphasize simultaneously, amending the rules so as to assure a president’s ability to fulfill his or her constitutional duties."

Sen. Levin was one of only a handful of Senate Democrats to oppose what members of both parties have called, at one time or another, a "naked power grab."

The next Republican President will have a cornucopia of power grabbing precedents set by Obama and the Dems to pick and choose from, as he takes this country further right than it has ever been.

Doubtful

With the current alignment of he electoral college, Republicans need a near sweep of the swing states
Depending on how inept a candidate they run, we will see how big a landslide Hillary wins by
Your track record is known. And I am greatly comforted by your certainty here. As is President Cruz.

Doubtful

Liz Warren will make a great candidate and will gracefully bow out when the time is right. She will find a position as Treasury Secretary in the Clinton Administration

Doubtful

Liz Warren will make a great candidate and will gracefully bow out when the time is right. She will find a position as Treasury Secretary in the Clinton Administration
Yeah I dont think so.
SHe has that "new car smell" about her. The Dems are wild about Liz.

Doubtful

Your track record is known. And I am greatly comforted by your certainty here. As is President Cruz.

Cruz? I thought you backed Rick Perry?
Which Texas idiot do you back?

Doubtful

Didn't this nut make a "Dem Senate landslide" type post back in late October?

Doubtful

Yeah I dont think so.
As they should be
She has great vision for the country and will help to shape the Clinton platform
Why don't you make some Squaw references? It will make you feel better

Doubtful

I welcome you to point it out

Doubtful

I welcome you to point it out
I asked a question.

How can I point out what I am not sure exists?

I could easily be confusing you with JoeB.

Doubtful

Yeah I dont think so.
As they should be
She has great vision for the country and will help to shape the Clinton platform
Why don't you make some Squaw references? It will make you feel better
Clinton isnt running. Sorry to burst your bubble.
And Warren still isnt an Indian.

The rule will not be changed back by the GOP. Why should they? The Dems have proven themlseves unreliable and it would effectively mean two rules: one for Dems and one for the GOP.
Suck it, Dems.

I'm going to disagree with you. We need congress to be run the way our founders intended. The nuke option needs to go and if McConell is serious about bringing the senate back he needs to do it.

Why, Jake?

I'm not jake you dick. I'm judicial review, which is the 1 major power of the judicial branch that the founders intended it to have. Respect it.

Why? Because it's against the constitution and law of the land and not in any way legal for the senate to operate with it in place. It also, screws up the proper process. A power grab.

You do realize, don't you, that fillibuster is not mentioned anywhere in the Constitution, and that the Senate invented the use of the fillibuster- it is an internal Senate rule.

IF the Senate decided to end the practice of filibuster entirely, it could legally do so.

That being said- I prefer the original filibuster- if a person wants to stand and debate until he cannot stand any longer- let him do so- but no bathroom breaks, no sleep breaks- stay up there and talk.

Suck it, Dems.

Why, Jake?

You're rapidly descending into Jake Starkey terrirtory.
Judicial review is not part of the constittuion and is a power the Court dreamed up in Marbury.

That's right.

It was always understood under the new system that the court's "ruling" on a law carried no FORCE. If the system was to continue, such a ruling had to be considered.

Now, even Robert Bork pointed out how it was necessary for Marshall assert Judicial Review to keep the country from tearing itself up.

But then he also shows where Marshall was extremely inconsistent in his rulings.

Originally: Judicial Review was not envisioned as we have it today.

This only applies to confirming nominees, so it means nothing for Pubs until they get the presidency, which could be a long time. I for one don't mind either party being able to fill appointments,only ruined by New BS GOP obstruction. Stupid and destructive.

And this was never the case during the Reagan, Bush 1 and Baby Bush administrations? Come on now, lets try to tell the truth.

Forum List

Back