Now on your restaurant bill: Obamacare fee

kidrocks

Gold Member
Jan 23, 2012
Don't want to pay the ACA charge? Simple. Don't eat there.

Restaurants charging Obamacare fee - Feb. 27, 2014

Several restaurants in a Florida chain are asking customers to help foot the bill for Obamacare. Diners at eight Gator's Dockside casual eateries are finding a 1% Affordable Care Act surcharge on their tabs, which comes to 15 cents on a typical $15 lunch tab. Signs on the door and at tables alert diners to the fee, which is also listed separately on the bill.

Great idea. They should list all the costs of the business on the bill. The one to keep the rats away is several times that I bet. Let's find out eh?

Awwww you mean people don't want to pay for someone else's health care!

If you don't want to pay the fee, don't go to a restaurant. It's not new by the way, San Francisco added a surcharge on restaurant bills in 2008, and some dishonest employers have kept the extra revenue.

While government can be incompetent, never forget that the private sector can be both incompetent and dishonest.

See:

San Francisco Restaurants' Surcharges for Healthy SF Defraud Consumers, Grand Jury Says

Awwww you mean people don't want to pay for someone else's health care!

If you don't want to pay the fee, don't go to a restaurant. It's not new by the way, San Francisco added a surcharge on restaurant bills in 2008, and some dishonest employers have kept the extra revenue.

While government can be incompetent, never forget that the private sector can be both incompetent and dishonest.

See:

San Francisco Restaurants' Surcharges for Healthy SF Defraud Consumers, Grand Jury Says

But govt is incompetent and dishonest all of the time. How do employers in SF keep the extra revenue? Is it some type of voluntary tax?

Great idea. They should list all the costs of the business on the bill. The one to keep the rats away is several times that I bet. Let's find out eh?

No they shouldn't list all of their costs on the bill. That's ludicrous.
The same as adding an ObamaCare charge. In business we just adjust the prices, we don't try to play politics.

If my costs go up, your price goes up. It's pretty simple.

Last edited:
The Supreme Court said that obamacare was legal as a tax. If you look at your bill, anyplace, you will see taxes listed separately from the bill. This is so that taxes are not considered profit or income to the business and the server does not pay taxes on the income derived from the dollar amount of the bill. You know that tips are considered taxable right? How do you think a tip is determined? By the size of the bill exclusive of taxes. If you leave a 10% tip and the tax is based on a 15%, you are already shortchanging the server unless you write the amount of the tip on the receipt itself.

Meanwhile, in Los Angeles, an upscale restaurant is also asking guests to pony up for its employee health care costs.

Since it opened in November, Republique's tab comes with an optional 3% surcharge that allows it to employ all of its 80 workers full-time and provide them with health insurance. The fee is explained in a sign and on the menu, and servers explain it to diners without prompting.

The surcharge is not related to Obamacare, a restaurant spokeswoman said. The eatery is not subject to the employer mandate until 2016 because it has fewer than 100 workers, but it already offers coverage to its staff.

No they shouldn't list all of their costs on the bill. That's ludicrous.
The same as adding an ObamaCare charge. In business we just adjust the prices, we don't try to play politics.

If my costs go up, your price goes up. It's pretty simple.

Tax hikes, consumer always pays.

Forum List

Back