Now Obama blames the internet for job losses

While I agree that he is not a good President - he is dead on with this one.
Internet and computerization/technology has caused far more job losses than it has created.

What?????????????????????????????????????????????

this is fact.
But it needs to be understood that it not only caused jobs to be lost...but those jobs will never be regained.

As more people buy on line, the less need there will be for retailers.

People who buy on line are not buying from knee jerk reacting...impulse buying....they are buying knowing they will not have the product for days...soemtimes weeks....

This allows a manufacturer a little lee way and does not need to manufacture more for inventory...and instead, he can manufacture more in line with demand.

I can go on...but it happnes to be fact. We have lost jobs we will never regain...and will continue to do so for many years to come.

Computers caused huge job losses too. When was the last time you met a linotype operator? But after a huge number of such jobs were lost in the 1960s and 1970s unemployment declined, as people retrained for other job skills. Hell, 90% of Americans used to work in agriculture, and many of those jobs were eliminated by technology. But that doesn't mean that 80% of Americans are unemployed as a result.
No, lack of jobs is due to Obama and his stupid policies, not the internet, ATMs, or Japanese tsunamis.

Internet shopping IS impulse buying and you don't have to run all over the city looking without buying. The gas I save is great and so my shopping list grows when I see all the products available to me that wouldn't be if I was limiting Shopping to my city.

Internet shopping IS impulse buying and you don't have to run all over the city looking without buying. The gas I save is great and so my shopping list grows when I see all the products available to me that wouldn't be if I was limiting Shopping to my city.

QFT.
The internet has made things cheaper and more efficient. I hate going to a store needing something only to find they dont have it.
And it does create jobs. How many websmasters were out there 20 years ago?

Obama proved right away that he lacks the Character to take responsibility for anything. He has a long laundry list of things he says are the Reason for the Very Slow Recovery. The only think he does not think has any effect, is his own Policies.

Name one Conservative who has ever accepted culpability for one damn thing!

So it's the, "they do it too" Defense? lol

Obama was suppose to be different, Better. Yet to listen to him everything he has done has been great, None of this is his fault, and if not for the Evil GOP he would have saved us all by now.

Now if you believe that line of Horse shit that's one thing. However if you are honest and know the truth is Obama's Policies Were short sited feel good Spending programs that Bought only short term GDP growth, and have actually hindered the Recovery in the long term, and seriously Exacerbated our Debt Problems. Then you have to admit that Obama is a Lying no good Piece of shit, who sold this country a bill of goods. Played the part of the Moderate, Unifying force for Good as a Candidate, and is Governing in a Divisive, Dishonest, and petty way.

However if you want to keep drinking the Koolaide be my guest, I'm Not Saying a "Conservative is the Answer" I am simply saying Obama is a Disaster. Period. Should have went with Hillary. I am Positive she would be a much Better leader, and far less Divisive.

Last edited:

Obama proved right away that he lacks the Character to take responsibility for anything. He has a long laundry list of things he says are the Reason for the Very Slow Recovery. The only think he does not think has any effect, is his own Policies.

Shouldn't you be inspecting toilets somewhere?
Bob Barr. There's your answer.

QFT.
The internet has made things cheaper and more efficient. I hate going to a store needing something only to find they dont have it.

It does so much more than Create IT jobs. Yes Companies are able to do more with less workers, but they are also able to reach a much much larger market. Which should mean they do more Business. Meaning more demand both for them, and their suppliers for Workers.

In today's world a Mom and Pop Start Up, can tap into a Global Market with out investing more than an Internet connection in it. You can't tell me that does not lead to more Jobs over all.

The pain were feeling now is mostly do to people not being Qualified for the Jobs that are in Demand. While Unemployment is high. We have whole Sectors of the Economy. Like High Tech, Engineering, medical, Etc were they can not get enough qualified applicants. Which is why I do support Financial Aid To Retrain Workers.

It's pretty simple, we have millions of Semi Skilled workers, who lack the Educations for many Jobs that are available. We need to find a way to get people trained up into Industries that need the workers.

Last edited:
I'd like to know what the numbers are like for jobs lost and gained since the internet became so popular.

Now the Post office is making big cut backs....it made me think of what they've lost with the internet. I think most people now do a big majority of their banking, paying bills, letters (emails), etc on line that used to always go through snail mail. But again, with so much purchasing on line i would think it might even out...

me.

I have made many a mistake..and NEVER passed the buck to someone else. I am responsible for everything I do....right or wrong.

Even on here...if someone does not understand my point, I usually respond with "perhaps I am not articulating my point properly"

However, with the likes of TM and NYCarbineer...I simply say they have a comprehension issue...but that is so I can get them to respond with an insult.
Actually, I had elected officials and other politicos. Those folks aren't nearly approachable as we are on a message board. But it would be interesting to have an elected official as a poster.

QFT.

It does so much more than Create IT jobs. Yes Companies are able to do more with less workers, but they are also able to reach a much much larger market. Which should mean they do more Business. Meaning more demand both for them, and their suppliers for Workers.

In today's world a Mom and Pop Start Up, can tap into a Global Market with out investing more than an Internet connection in it. You can't tell me that does not lead to more Jobs over all.

The pain were feeling now is mostly do to people not being Qualified for the Jobs that are in Demand. While Unemployment is high. We have whole Sectors of the Economy. Like High Tech, Engineering, medical, Etc were they can not get enough qualified applicants. Which is why I do support Financial Aid To Retrain Workers.

It's pretty simple, we have millions of Semi Skilled workers, who lack the Educations for many Jobs that are available. We need to find a way to get people trained up into Industries that need the workers.
The jobs those semi-skilled workers lost are being performed by Asians and Latin Americans today. Do you suppose the level of education is that much higher in Asia or Latin America?

The economy grows when we make things, not just buy them. A vibrant Middle Class demands steady, good paying manufacturing work. Textiles, electronics and transportation still require manufacturing. That's served as a steady and reliable gateway to socio-economic advancement for decades.

Soon, the transportation costs of manufacturing in Asia and Latin America will dwarf the savings in lower wages and lax environmental compliance and the manufacturing base might well return to America. But necessity is the Mother of Invention. Someone will figure out how to keep costs down. They certainly did with American labor.

QFT.

The jobs those semi-skilled workers lost are being performed by Asians and Latin Americans today. Do you suppose the level of education is that much higher in Asia or Latin America?

The economy grows when we make things, not just buy them. A vibrant Middle Class demands steady, good paying manufacturing work. Textiles, electronics and transportation still require manufacturing. That's served as a steady and reliable gateway to socio-economic advancement for decades.

Soon, the transportation costs of manufacturing in Asia and Latin America will dwarf the savings in lower wages and lax environmental compliance and the manufacturing base might well return to America. But necessity is the Mother of Invention. Someone will figure out how to keep costs down. They certainly did with American labor.

Do factory workers make more money than engineers? I never heard so.

Do factory workers make more money than engineers? I never heard so.
Not everyone has the skills of an engineer. Not everyone is interested in engineering. And why should you suppose that good, steady solid blue collar work is either unnecessary in today's economy or worth less as a personal choice at any time?

Do you know what the automobile did to buggy whip makers?

See. obama knows all.

Wait? The internet and this sort of technology only just started in January of 2009?

Is THAT why U6 unemployment is a disaster since then?????

unemployment.png

Who knew?

Last edited:
You must not be in business.

Let's take the company I run.

5 CSR's (Customer Service representatives)
7 Salespeople
3 people in the business office plus one part-timer.
5 people in pre-production.

3 CSR's...at least 75% of our work now comes through our eCommerce site.
2 Salespeople...same as above.
1 person in the business office. Our front-end system has advanced to the point that about all a person has to do is enter payments and the system does the rest.
2 people in pre-production. - Automated systems has removed at least 80% of the tasks pre-production used to do.

Above is true in many, many industries.
So its all Al Gores fault then:badgrin:

Damn him

I'd like to do more than that.

If we could somehow give him an enema, we'd need a microscope to find him.

I'll ask again....just when did he figure this out ?

Recently ?

It's been going on for a long time.

I see, looking for straws to grasp.

Auto checkout didn't eliminate supermarket jobs?

Pay at the pump didn't eliminate the gas station attendant?

Just curious, to where were the workers transferred?

These advancements have moved people to other (often better) jobs.

Who takes care of the hardware at the automatic checkout stands. And who writes the code for the programs. And who does the programming for the real time inventory that allows stores to better use their margins to expand which means they offer new products that are produced by people who now have jobs they didn'th have before ?

What was the question ?

Who takes care of the hardware at the automatic checkout stands. And who writes the code for the programs. And who does the programming for the real time inventory that allows stores to better use their margins to expand which means they offer new products that are produced by people who now have jobs they didn'th have before ?

What was the question ?

So the 57 year old supermarket clerk should have gone to school to learn to code after his/her job was eliminated. Ok, makes sense.

What was the question ?

So the 57 year old supermarket clerk should have gone to school to learn to code after his/her job was eliminated. Ok, makes sense.

Times change.

And BTW: Most supermarkets I shop at still have people (clerks) running the checkout lines.

What was the question ?

Forum List

Back