Now for the Conservatives (and yes, the liberals could learn too)

Darkwind

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2009
Any sensible person who has any critical thinking ability knows that business isn't really responsible for the social aspect of our society. Business has a specific goal that needs to be met in order to achieve an income for the proprietors, or for the shareholders. This means that they are going to, at some point, need labor if they are small land successful, or large and expanding.

We all know that the quality of worker (educated or not) has been going down in this country. A lot of it is attributed to the "millennials". Like it or not, this will be the group that business must deal with going forward.

I just now ran across a video that discusses this problem and while it does not really address the problem going forward, it is essential to understand it in order to address it. So, I'm offering this video up for anyone who wishes to watch it as the speaker makes a great deal of sense to Me.

I'll not offer commentary on it and ask that you watch the whole thing before commenting, but I would be interested in your thoughtful and honest opinion on this.

Any sensible person who has any critical thinking ability knows that business isn't really responsible for the social aspect of our society. Business has a specific goal that needs to be met in order to achieve an income for the proprietors, or for the shareholders. This means that they are going to, at some point, need labor if they are small land successful, or large and expanding.

We all know that the quality of worker (educated or not) has been going down in this country. A lot of it is attributed to the "millennials". Like it or not, this will be the group that business must deal with going forward.

I just now ran across a video that discusses this problem and while it does not really address the problem going forward, it is essential to understand it in order to address it. So, I'm offering this video up for anyone who wishes to watch it as the speaker makes a great deal of sense to Me.

I'll not offer commentary on it and ask that you watch the whole thing before commenting, but I would be interested in your thoughtful and honest opinion on this.

Many businesses are amoral, some are immoral and others moral. Thus your first paragraph, if reduced to a premise, cannot support a logical conclusion.

I do not open links from unknown sources, if you can post an executive summary, I'll be happy to respond to that summary.

Many businesses are amoral, some are immoral and others moral. Thus your first paragraph, if reduced to a premise, cannot support a logical conclusion.

I do not open links from unknown sources, if you can post an executive summary, I'll be happy to respond to that summary.

If you are not familiar with youtube, then I have little doubt you are just simply quaffing.

Businesses are not required to be moral or immoral. They provide specific services or goods to a society and the purpose is to provide an income or profit to shareholders. A mom and pop store exists so that the mom and pop can pay their bills, provide shelter and food for themselves, and maybe get that sense of being free from"the man". They did not start the business to provide some kind of social infrastructure to aid the life of others. None of that has changed.

Curiously, that is not what this video is about either. It does touch upon the responsibility of business to step in and fill a gap that society has created through the 'entitled' mentality that exists. I've not finished digesting the overall implications of what Simon Sinek is driving at, but I get the overall gist of his message. It speaks directly to leadership that can either further the business or destroy it with head in the sand beliefs.

I liken this to a company that has made steel products for a hundred years, and now they find that the quality of the ore they are getting is substandard to what they need. In order to continue to move forward, they will either have to adapt to a lower quality of ore or find better ways to make the existing iron ore suitable. Only we're talking about the labor force.

As Sinek notes, there is nothing we can do about them now. They are what they are. Companies are going to have to address their needs and complaints if they want to continue to have a viable labor force going forward and that is going to mean they will have to take on some aspect of a "parent" role for those whose parents have failed them with regard to the real world.

Much truth here and in the video clip.
However I believe that another very serious problem is the development of this concept of business/labor? Who is "business" and who is "labor" and what is the difference? Who are the "proprietors". Used to be that that the lowliest employee was considered as much a part of a business as the CEO and even more so than shareholders who have more in common with banks than workers. When did people become resources?

However I believe that another very serious problem is the development of this concept of business/labor? Who is "business" and who is "labor" and what is the difference? Who are the "proprietors". Used to be that that the lowliest employee was considered as much a part of a business as the CEO and even more so than shareholders who have more in common with banks than workers. When did people become resources?

The very moment a self-proprietor expands to include just one employee, the labor becomes something that must be managed. Thinking of labor as a resource no more belittles their worth to the company than the necessity of considering real property, such as desks, inventory, supplies, etc.. As you say, even the CEO is considered a resource to be managed, except it is managed by a board most often. If the company is too small to have a senior suite of managers, then it's likely the be the limited partnership's management team that is responsible for conducting the affairs of the company.

To Me, the question going forward is the outlook on life and society. In the past, people were raised to be patient, understanding that achievement was a process that required time and that success was never a guarantee. This means that our society, and in truth, business and its environment, is jeopardized by the simple aspect that companies no longer provide leadership, only management of company assets, production, and resources. This is a recipe for disaster.

It doesn't do any good to whine and complain about the state of young people and their outlook on life. The problems have to be addressed and perceptions of what is expected of them and the company have to be demonstrated as well as trained into them. They are going to have to be shown how it benefits them and their beliefs to have this patience and that with that patience, they can achieve that great goal they are looking for.

Around the time Personnel Departments suddenly became Human Resources, and the slope's been getting more slippery ever since.

Forum List

Back