November 6, 2018 – Today is the Day!

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
ballot-box-in-powerpoint.jpg

Before you click to close this, let me say that I’m not trying to tell you who to vote for. In fact, I’m not even telling you that you should vote!

That’s the beauty of our American form of representative government.

Nobody is forcing you to vote. Or even indicating how you should vote.

The Secret Ballot is the most important way we govern one another.

Unlike many other countries, we do not force our citizens to go to the voting places and we certainly don’t force them to vote a certain way.

We make our own choices.

As of 2012, it was estimated that 235.3 million Americans are eligible to vote.

In the 2016 election, 128.8 million Americans voted. Or less than half of those eligible.

Think about that for a moment.

Let's say a candidate wins by 51% of the vote. And that number is a little over 25% of those eligible to vote. Does that really mean that candidate won by a majority?

25% of those eligible.

Well, as a matter of fact, yes it does. Because those who are eligible but don’t bother to vote are voicing their opinion just as much as those who do.

I love the fact that we can show the world we voted or let them guess about it.

Now, I’d like to discuss when we vote. The 2nd Tuesday in November.This came about in 1845 when Congress passed a federal law designating the first Tuesday following the first Monday in November as Election Day in order to help farmers and ranchers. In any case, it is my opinion that the day set aside by law should be a national holiday. Just like all the rest. Close everything but private industry so people can go to the polls – or not.

I’m going to contact my representative and Senator as of tomorrow and let them know this is my opinion. I may even write to the president.

Make it a federal holiday.

Next, let’s discuss voter ID. Many oppose it by saying it discriminates against the poor. In some ways, I’m for AND against it. Voter ID should be required to vote but nothing else. You go to register, show your ID. You go to vote, show your ID. Everything else, keep it in your purse or wallet.

Here’s a few words on political parties.

Thomas Jefferson and several others warned against them. From the current divisiveness, I have to agree. But, they do seem to be a necessary evil in our political system. I just wish there were more than two viable ones. Viable. That’s the word. Besides the big two, we have the Libertarians, Greens, Constitutionalists, and a slew of other little ones. We also have Independents and Non-Party types.

I personally would like to see more ”third party” types serving in the House and Senate. That would sure force the big two to seek compromises and work out deals. Heck, it might even slow down stuff more – which might not be a bad idea.

Is there anything else?

Probably.

But, that’s all I’ve got – for now.

If you want to respond to this, I’d love to know your ideas and responses. But, even more important, let them be known in the way you vote and by telling your representative what you want of him or her.

...I think we should let whoever has the power to be in charge
forget the voting --voting is wrong/fair elections are wrong = this is the same thinking of the left when Trump was elected

Forum List

Back