Nothing Was Done: The Enemy Next Door

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
Well, it appears that Ansar al-Sharia moved in right next door to the consulate. Requests were made by consulate to fortify security, only to be met with rejection and delays by the State Department. One specific request was for an M240 belt fed machine gun, that was allegedly rejected because it was "aesthetically displeasing and would upset the locals." Such incompetence may have led to the deaths of Ambassador Chris Stevens and three others on the night of September 11, 2012, in Benghazi, Libya. The militia hired to protect the consulate may have directly participated in the attack, and were chosen over U.S. Marines to provide security for the compound.

Members of the Islamist extremist militia blamed for the Benghazi terror attack had moved in next door to the U.S. Consulate months before the strike but “nothing was done” despite concerns about the dangerous neighbors, sources tell Fox News.

Sources say members of Ansar al-Sharia moved to the house just outside the east wall of the compound within three weeks of American personnel renting the facility, and later used the location to help plan and take part in the attack on the American Consulate on Sept. 11, 2012.

The neighbors prompted multiple security requests -- including repeated requests up until the day of the attack -- for more weapons and personnel.
“We warned D.C. about the guys who moved in next door, but nobody knew what to do and nothing was done,” a U.S. intelligence source said.

According to one intelligence source, American security personnel specifically asked for an M240 machine gun to mount on the roof at the consulate for added protection, but were turned down repeatedly.

A State Department source also confirmed to Fox News that “they asked for a belt-fed mounted machine gun, but were specifically denied by the State Department because they said it would upset the locals.”

Asked about these assertions at Monday’s press briefing, State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf called the claims “dubious.”

But a senior State Department official acknowledged Tuesday that there was a request of some kind from the Benghazi post on Aug. 22. “It was being considered in Tripoli on the day of the attack. It was contained in a list of security requests, so to say that the request was rejected is inaccurate,” the official said.
Sources: Militia blamed for Benghazi attack moved next door to US Consulate before strike | Fox News

Last edited:
Well then, I take the childishness from Joe and the overall silence from the left as quite telling...

Naw, guy, the Benghazi Circus left town, dude.

I'm sorry you put on your clown makeup.

dscn0644.jpg

Ah, so now you guys will take to hijacking the thread to avoid addressing the point? Okay, I'll address the point:

Why did the State Department fail to grant the requests for extra security by the consulate in an expedient manner? By the time the attack took place, the request was still being considered. The consulate knew then that the neighbors were up to no good. Why did the State Department hire a bunch of militiamen over our boys?

Can you answer those questions for me? Or are you two going to simply troll my thread?

Last edited:

Ah, so now you guys will take to hijacking the thread to avoid addressing the point? Okay, I'll address the point:

Why did the State Department fail to grant the requests for extra security by the consulate in an expedient manner? By the time the attack took place, the request was still being considered. The consulate knew then that the neighbors were up to no good. Why did the State Department hire a bunch of militiamen over our boys?

Can you answer those questions for me? Or are you two going to simply troll my thread?

Naw, trolling your thread is a lot more fun.

I mean, we could talk to you about the real world where embassy and consulate security is dependent on the host country.

We could also talk about how the CIA was running some black ops in that consulate and didn't tell State what they were up to.

But there's no point in doing that. You go into these conversations with the assumption that Obama and Clinton must be guilty of something, dammit, even decisions made six or seven levels below them.

Those of us who have been around for a while know the Middle East is dangerous and always will be.

Its the State Department there buddy.

What does one expect??

Only this time Kerry instead of Hilbat is running it.

Again. What does one expect??

What does one expect??

Well, i would suspect that when Paul Ryan cut 300 million from State Department's security budget, it's the ultimate in chutzpah to then ask why security wasn't better.

BUt that's today's GOP. Cut services to the bone, then claim government is bad.

What does one expect??

Well, i would suspect that when Paul Ryan cut 300 million from State Department's security budget, it's the ultimate in chutzpah to then ask why security wasn't better.

BUt that's today's GOP. Cut services to the bone, then claim government is bad.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=meIL1QaOt1s]Lack of Budget Not a Factor in Benghazi Security Decisions - YouTube[/ame]

Wow, he cut off before she completed her answer.

That's really kind of credible.

Breaking: It Turns Out That Protecting Our Embassies Costs Money | Mother Jones

House Republicans cut the administration’s request for embassy security funding by $128 million in fiscal 2011 and $331 million in fiscal 2012....Last year, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warned that Republicans’ proposed cuts to her department would be “detrimental to America’s national security” — a charge Republicans rejected.

Ryan, Issa and other House Republicans voted for an amendment in 2009 to cut $1.2 billion from State operations, including funds for 300 more diplomatic security positions. Under Ryan’s budget, non-defense discretionary spending, which includes State Department funding, would be slashed nearly 20 percent in 2014, which would translate to more than $400 million in additional cuts to embassy security.

Wow, he cut off before she completed her answer.

That's really kind of credible.

Breaking: It Turns Out That Protecting Our Embassies Costs Money | Mother Jones

House Republicans cut the administration’s request for embassy security funding by $128 million in fiscal 2011 and $331 million in fiscal 2012....Last year, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warned that Republicans’ proposed cuts to her department would be “detrimental to America’s national security” — a charge Republicans rejected.

Ryan, Issa and other House Republicans voted for an amendment in 2009 to cut $1.2 billion from State operations, including funds for 300 more diplomatic security positions. Under Ryan’s budget, non-defense discretionary spending, which includes State Department funding, would be slashed nearly 20 percent in 2014, which would translate to more than $400 million in additional cuts to embassy security.

Sorry, State Department outlays were increased in that time period, by as much as 92% percent (18% annualized). Citing Mother Jones is hilarious. I'll raise you one CBO report.

http://fas.org/sgp/crs/row/R42834.pdf

You are the least to speak on credibility, Joe.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back