Not sure where to put this

Link still don't work
I think I might know where this is going--read an article on it, although I don't remember all the details.

Early man were hunter gatherers, following the game herds that they relied on for food. They didn't stay put in one spot or build perrmanent settlements. When those animals slowly died out due to changes in climate and terrain, some humans gradually began to dabble in farming, which kept some of them from traveling around. They built little villages. As this practice slowly spread (always around highly fertile regions like river valleys) people eventually organized, became more skilled, needed records so developed writing---and boom. Some people became herdsmen, what we call nomads, and kept moving about. (Cain and Abel) But the loss of the big game animals eventually led to farming....over many thousands of years.

That's what I'm guessing.

Actually beer bought about civilization. I thought everyone knew that. Look it up.
Most people back then died of dysentery or other stomach bugs. Don't drink the water was real. No one ever made it long enough to have heart issues or cancer.
That's not really true. Lots of people lived to a ripe old age and died of the same things we do. Many also died very young, but if you made it through that, living into your 60s or older wasn't uncommon. People seem to think that since the average lifespan was 40-45, that everyone dropped dead at that age, but it being an average, it just means the number was dragged down because of all the individuals that died in infancy or childhood.

Actually beer bought about civilization. I thought everyone knew that. Look it up.
Most people back then died of dysentery or other stomach bugs. Don't drink the water was real. No one ever made it long enough to have heart issues or cancer.
That's not really true. Lots of people lived to a ripe old age and died of the same things we do. Many also died very young, but if you made it through that, living into your 60s or older wasn't uncommon. People seem to think that since the average lifespan was 40-45, that everyone dropped dead at that age, but it being an average, it just means the number was dragged down because of all the individuals that died in infancy or childhood.
I was talking about early civilization before real sanitation. Infant mortality was around 20%.

You are correct about average ages. I would say average around 60 if you made it to 5 yrs old.

But you still have to count all people to get the average,
Proper sanitation was the greatest life extender.
This is interesting.

And women. Women died during their child bearing years quite a lot, bringing the average down further. I was doing some pretty extensive genealogy research last winter and I was surprised to discover what you're saying is true. 70's and 80's were not uncommon. But the women dying in child birth and the kids dying in epidemics were way too common. Sad stuff.

Forum List

Back