When things go too far...or not far enough.

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
First...there was “me too”.

What started as a movement to bring attention to all too frequent sexual harassment and assault in the professional world, too often hidden out of fear of retaliation or black listing.

A good cause. It exposed the seamy dark underbelly of the entertainment industry, among other things. But then, it went haywire. We went from presumption of innocence to assumption of guilt. People were pressured to resign or promptly fired, often for relatively benign misconduct. Promptly fired. No recourse.

Now, we are facing something similar with racism. A tale of two videos I saw.

The first was one that went viral, we all saw it. A birdwatcher in Central Park asking a woman to leash her dog in a leashed area of the park. She refused, and in the process totally lost it, calling the police to claim an African American male was assaulting her. An allegation that could have cost him his life at worst. She was vilified, fired, and had her dog taken from her. I think it isfair to say she learned a valuable lesson.

The second was a video of a white woman, approaching a black man painting a BLM sign on the cement wall in front of a house in a nice neighborhood. She approaches him and proceeds to ask him what he is doing, and does he realize this is private property. He responds, but in such a way that he baits her imo, does not identify himself as the owner, and leads us to conclude this is a micro aggression, that she is assuming because he is black he cant possibly be the owner of that expensive property. He never identifies as the owner to her in the clip I saw. Her husband videos it. After it became public...he was fired.

IMO...that is going too far. To be fired over a perception of racism? I seldom confront people..but seeing someone, anyone, painting something onto a wall...my first thought might be graffiti And were I a nosy bossy busy body I might confront them. Is it racist? That is really grey. Seems this might be an educational moment for the property owner....to push her, then point out he is the owner of the property. Embarressing for her...but maybe then she would rethink her assumptions and get to know her neighbors. But Instead her husband lost his job. Is that right?

I will have to find the video.

An english teacher was one day teaching "homophones"...words that sound identical but have different meanings (like close and cloths).

The teacher was fired for speaking bad things about gays...He explained that homophones has nothing to do with gays but it didn't matter...he never got his job back.

The first was one that went viral, we all saw it. A birdwatcher in Central Park asking a woman to leash her dog in a leashed area of the park.

I have to disagree... I believe possibly the first was juicy... Just piss poor planning and really stupid people and some coldass weather it all blew up in their face... But the cleaners came in and cleaned things up...

1592620848798.png

What started as a movement to bring attention to all too frequent sexual harassment and assault in the professional world, too often hidden out of fear of retaliation or black listing.

A good cause. It exposed the seamy dark underbelly of the entertainment industry, among other things. But then, it went haywire. We went from presumption of innocence to assumption of guilt. People were pressured to resign or promptly fired, often for relatively benign misconduct. Promptly fired. No recourse.

The first was one that went viral, we all saw it. A birdwatcher in Central Park asking a woman to leash her dog in a leashed area of the park. She refused, and in the process totally lost it, calling the police to claim an African American male was assaulting her. An allegation that could have cost him his life at worst. She was vilified, fired, and had her dog taken from her. I think it isfair to say she learned a valuable lesson.

The second was a video of a white woman, approaching a black man painting a BLM sign on the cement wall in front of a house in a nice neighborhood. She approaches him and proceeds to ask him what he is doing, and does he realize this is private property. He responds, but in such a way that he baits her imo, does not identify himself as the owner, and leads us to conclude this is a micro aggression, that she is assuming because he is black he cant possibly be the owner of that expensive property. He never identifies as the owner to her in the clip I saw. Her husband videos it. After it became public...he was fired.

IMO...that is going too far. To be fired over a perception of racism? I seldom confront people..but seeing someone, anyone, painting something onto a wall...my first thought might be graffiti And were I a nosy bossy busy body I might confront them. Is it racist? That is really grey. Seems this might be an educational moment for the property owner....to push her, then point out he is the owner of the property. Embarressing for her...but maybe then she would rethink her assumptions and get to know her neighbors. But Instead her husband lost his job. Is that right?

just look what they did to aunt jemima,,
all she did was be successful and they dug her up and fired her,,,

the democrats have gone full evil,,,

Her great,great granddaughter is pissed!!!
Of course she blames white people for her grandmother being shit canned.

I am sure if she could she would wonder what she did so wrong,,,

An english teacher was one day teaching "homophones"...words that sound identical but have different meanings (like close and cloths).

The teacher was fired for speaking bad things about gays...He explained that homophones has nothing to do with gays but it didn't matter...he never got his job back.
THAT sucks!

Yep, if our dear Aunt Jemima isn't safe, who is?

If this is what is said, what is so terrible about that exactly? Homophones actually don't have anything to do with the homosexual lifestyle or being homophobic if that is what the teacher meant to say. My only question for the teacher would be why was the homosexual lifestyle brought up at all in the first place when it doesn't have anything to do with homophones.

God bless you and the teacher always!!!

Holly

P.S. Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what is the name of words that have more than one meaning if there is a term for words like that? I just know that homophones are not what they are because those kind of words are words that have more than one form of spelling.

Last edited:

Aunt jemima now self identifies as a male...she'll still be on the bottle as Uncle jemima.

And uncle Bens perverted rice will now go under the label...Perverted Uncle Bens rice. :auiqs.jpg:

(((white people)))

The woman in Central Park reacted rationally considering she was in an area with a history of vicious black-on-white crime.

If this is what is said, what is so terrible about that exactly? Homophones actually don't have anything to do with the homosexual lifestyle or being homophobic if that is what the teacher meant to say. My only question for the teacher would be why was the homosexual lifestyle brought up at all in the first place when it doesn't have anything to do with homophones.

God bless you and the teacher always!!!

Holly

P.S. Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what is the name of words that have more than one meaning if there is a term for words like that? I just know that homophones are not what they are because those kind of words are words that have more than one form of spelling.

No question about our magnificent language is "dumb"!

I checked the online Merriam Webster Dictionary.

The word may be "homonym."

to, too, two = same pronunciation but different spelling and different meaning.

quail (the bird) , to quail (to cringe) = same pronunciation and same spelling but different meaning.

Have a nice weekend!

Did you hear that story from the same people who told you the president was going to issue a national lock down in March?

First...there was “me too”
Far FAR from first.
Clarence Thomas
Duke lacrosse
If i had a son
The police acted stupidly
Fake race crimes under Obama

There are obviously douchebags of all stripes and political affiliation but democrats own this cancel culture bullshit. Dissent is not tolerated by the left and must be silenced at any cost. And now with the creation of social media you all destroys lives constantly.

First...there was “me too”
Far FAR from first.
Clarence Thomas
Duke lacrosse
If i had a son
The police acted stupidly
Fake race crimes under Obama

There are obviously douchebags of all stripes and political affiliation but democrats own this cancel culture bullshit. Dissent is not tolerated by the left and must be silenced at any cost. And now with the creation of social media you all destroys lives constantly.

None of those you mention are movements so not really even comparable. You also seem to avoid all responsibility from your own side in your hatred of Obama.

If I had a son: absolutely is spot on unless you really do believe the canard that most blacks are thugs who deserve it. Did Floyd, Martin, Arbery deserve time die?

Police acted stupidly - yup dumb thing for a president to say, but he was a freshman, and he did the right thing afterward.

Duke Lacrosse? Yup. That was a misjustice for sure and Sharpton never apologized.

Fake race crimes under Obama? You think they did not occur befor or since? You thinks whites haven’t made fake race claims?

I am talking about movements where haste to judgement leads to injustice. You seem to be talking about your hatred of Obama.

You also seem to avoid all responsibility from your own side in your hatred of Obama.
Right! Lol

Because I never took a stand against that old man running for the senate who hit on teenage girls (forget his name) or the jackass from Missouri who said women enjoy rape or the plethora of threads I create calling out Trumps bullshit.

You're talking out of your ass

You also seem to avoid all responsibility from your own side in your hatred of Obama.
Right! Lol

Because I never took a stand against that old man running for the senate who hit on teenage girls (forget his name) or the jackass from Missouri who said women enjoy rape or the plethora of threads I create calling out Trumps bullshit.

You're talking out of your ass

Sure dude. You have occasionally, kudos for that...but you spend most of a post bitching about in a thread that has nothing to do with him.

How did the Dems do anything about aunt Jemimah? That was a business making a business decision and also a good example of what my thread is about. Knee jerk reactions going to far.

You keep trying to make it political but it is people, not politicians, driving this, often they just jump on board for political expediency.

We need change....that is at tbe heart of me too and BLM...but not at the cost of fair justice.

Forum List

Back