Not sure if folks saw this when it came out...

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
This has got to be one of the DUMBEST things I've ever heard of:

Lawyer to argue slave syndrome in 2-year-old's death

HILLSBORO, ORE. - A 2-year-old boy lost his life because his father suffered from post traumatic slave syndrome and could not see the error of his violent ways, a Portland lawyer says.

Randall Vogt told The Oregonian he will argue - "in a general way" - that masters beat slaves, so his client, Isaac Cortez Bynum, was justified in beating his son.

Read the rest at:
http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?id=67793

Dagbernat (as my grandpappy used to say) this is shite, double shite. These people give this nobel profession a bad name!

"He had a traditional, Southern, small-town, working-class upbringing where 'whuppin' was accepted," Vogt said. "Whether that was abusive or not, that is in the eye of the beholder. He was raised differently than your typical kid in Beaverton."

Where the F did this guy go to lawschool? If some arab muslim comes to this country, for even the first time, resides here (without dipo immunity) and he hits his wife as is the custom in his home country, guess what, he can still be tried under USofA law. This case is not about custom/previous dealings and such, rather, a rule of well established law, not only in common law, but codified.

Further, you can not tell me that in the good ol' south that he would get away with this. You see, following his train of thought, if he has this "slave" syndrome (HE HAS NEVER been a slave himself) because of the community he came from, then we should also have an all WHITE, slave owning, jury in the jury pool, for would this not be a true cross x of his "community?" This lawyer is nuts. It does not matter one bit if something is legal in one state (assuming state law issue such as abuse/fam stuff). If it is illegal in the state you are in, guess what my friend, you are going to be looking at the world from behind ugly steel bars.

Hey, if I am from NV, and I get caught with a hooker, maybe I will hire this shmo. Gimme a break.

Please, this guy does not represent the entire legal community. Unfortunately, this people make the news, whereas, good, honest lawyers don't. YES, just like santa clause, they exist. No, really, they do.

• Thanks
Reactions: -Cp

Forum List

Back