Not All Conservatives Thrilled About Romney VP Pick

With the Romney/Ryan ticket I would suggest Republicans pursue their "don't let em vote" program with greater earnest.

By Howard Fineman

Despite general cheer among conservatives, some in that camp are apoplectic at Mitt Romney's choice of Rep. Paul Ryan as his vice presidential running mate, though they are reluctant to say so publicly.

Here -- anonymously, by his request -- is a critique of the choice by one of the country's most prominent and influential conservatives, who sent this analysis to close friends:

Here are some problems I see:

Vice president, at this moment, I don't see it. I believe when Ryan adds a top leadership job to his resume, like joining the Senate or becoming a governor, he would be presidential timber in the GOP. Today, in this election, he subtracts more than he adds.

This was supposed to be Mitt Romney's election to lose. Right now polls show he is losing. It's important to remember that Romney's top campaign staff were Charlie Crist's political staff. They took the most popular Republican governor in the U.S. and by the end of his first term, his campaign for Senate had not only crashed, Charlie Crist had to leave the Republican party! It was no surprise when I read in the New Republic that Mitt's chief strategist told folks he voted for Obama in 2008.​

Good Article/Much More: Howard Fineman: Rep. Paul Ryan VP Choice Draws Criticism From Some Conservatives

They were not and are not thrilled with Romney either:

From the primaries:

Check out this give and take:

Another good exchange....

Here was the next post in the exchange:

Uhh yes you are; you'll sit there and take it young man...and you will like it! :lol:

Tired of me beating up on the hard right? Here is Missourian who is likely the most level-headed of the bunch:
I still think he is the best choice of the candidate pool, far superior to Wind Sock Romney, who just days ago displayed just how his positions change with every shift of the political wind by failing to support the anti-public union legislation he had already previously supported, because he was scared it was now unpopular... :lame2:..."only tell them what they want to hear" Romney proved a coward once again.

Grumps:
That leaves Romney, the KING FLIP FLOPPER.

There are dozens more and if you stick around; we'll have more after the election.

I ought to neg you for not including me in there! But, I won't.

Of course, I have not stopped dissing Romney. :eusa_whistle:

Immie

Come on, you were a Perry supporter. You saw how the GOP establishment turned on the guy... But I guess you have to pretend that didn't happen.

Kind of like the abused wife who explains away the black eye by saying she ran into a door.

Now that Romney has floundered and failed to get the center, he's coming back to you with flowers and candy....

I also saw how Obama slung mountains of shit at Hillary, et.al then turned around and licked her clit with SoS position.

Different?

Well, um, yeah, because he really didn't... but whatever you need to tell yourself.

Again, the ODS brain disease where every criticism of a Republican has to be met with "but...but...but... Obama."

Obama has a mysterious lucky streak where his opponents tend to drop out of races against him after divorce records (for example) seem to materialize out of thin air

:eusa_shhh:

But no......

He doesn't do "smear" campaigns.
:eusa_boohoo:

Come on, you were a Perry supporter. You saw how the GOP establishment turned on the guy... But I guess you have to pretend that didn't happen.

Kind of like the abused wife who explains away the black eye by saying she ran into a door.

Now that Romney has floundered and failed to get the center, he's coming back to you with flowers and candy....

I also saw how Obama slung mountains of shit at Hillary, et.al then turned around and licked her clit with SoS position.

Different?

Well, um, yeah, because he really didn't... but whatever you need to tell yourself.

Again, the ODS brain disease where every criticism of a Republican has to be met with "but...but...but... Obama."

Well, you have been saying that a lot lately but there is no brain disease when people point out that Obama did the exact same thing. What you call brain disease is actually people pointing out those things that are not a problem and do not matter but seem to suddenly matter to Obama supporters as soon as they can pin something on Romney. Then, usually, they flat out deny that Obama has done any such thing.

This is not a one side issue though. The same happened (and continues to happen) when people point out Bush did the same thing as Obama in many cases but they are excusing Bush for the same issues (not to be confused with people that condemn BOTH presidents for those actions). There is a name for this already: partisan hackery.

By Jennifer Bendery

WASHINGTON -- He's been in Congress for nearly 13 years, but Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) has only seen two of his bills pass into law during that time.

Ryan, who Mitt Romney has tapped as his running mate, passed a bill into law in July 2000 that renames a post office in his district. Thanks to Ryan, the post office on 1818 Milton Ave. in Janesville, Wis., is now known as "Les Aspin Post Office Building."

The other time Ryan saw one of his bills become law was in December 2008, with legislation to change the way arrows (as in bows and arrows) are hit with an excise tax. Specifically, his bill amended the Internal Revenue Code to impose a 39-cent tax per arrow shaft, instead of a 12.4 percent tax on the sales price. The bill also "includes points suitable for use with arrows in the 11 percent excise tax on arrow parts and accessories."

Kevin Seifert, Ryan's congressional spokesman, did not respond to a request for comment.

Paul Ryan Only Passed 2 Bills Into Law In More Than A Decade

Wow, 13 years in the House and he was only able to rename a Post Office and change the tax on archery arrows.

Gee, what a guy...

Wow, 13 years in the House and he was only able to rename a Post Office and change the tax on archery arrows.

Gee, what a guy...

That's still more laws than budgets Reid has passed in 6 years. ZERO

Due you love tangents and unimportant stuff. WHO Gives a shit? is this all you have?
So what do you like about the Reid Budget....oh wait there isnt one....so what about the OBama budget?

Gee, what a guy...

Due you love tangents and unimportant stuff. WHO Gives a shit? is this all you have?
So what do you like about the Reid Budget....oh wait there isnt one....so what about the OBama budget?

Why is it "Reid's" budget?

Gee, what a guy...

Because he's the senate leader and he has not PASSED A BUDGET IN 6 years as leader. HOW does that happen?

Because he's the senate leader and he has not PASSED A BUDGET IN 6 years as leader. HOW does that happen?

How many budgets has the House passed?

Total outlays in recent budget submissions

2013 United States federal budget - $3.8 trillion (submitted 2012 by President Obama)
2012 United States federal budget - $3.7 trillion (submitted 2011 by President Obama)
2011 United States federal budget - $3.8 trillion (submitted 2010 by President Obama)
2010 United States federal budget - $3.6 trillion (submitted 2009 by President Obama)
2009 United States federal budget - $3.1 trillion (submitted 2008 by President Bush)
2008 United States federal budget - $2.9 trillion (submitted 2007 by President Bush)
2007 United States federal budget - $2.8 trillion (submitted 2006 by President Bush)
2006 United States federal budget - $2.7 trillion (submitted 2005 by President Bush)
2005 United States federal budget - $2.4 trillion (submitted 2004 by President Bush)
2004 United States federal budget - $2.3 trillion (submitted 2003 by President Bush)
2003 United States federal budget - $2.2 trillion (submitted 2002 by President Bush)
2002 United States federal budget - $2.0 trillion (submitted 2001 by President Bush)
2001 United States federal budget - $1.9 trillion (submitted 2000 by President Clinton)
2000 United States federal budget - $1.8 trillion (submitted 1999 by President Clinton)
1999 United States federal budget - $1.7 trillion (submitted 1998 by President Clinton)
1998 United States federal budget - $1.7 trillion (submitted 1997 by President Clinton)
1997 United States federal budget - $1.6 trillion (submitted 1996 by President Clinton)
1996 United States federal budget - $1.6 trillion (submitted 1995 by President Clinton)

United States federal budget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's really interesing and telling when someone makes a criticism of Ryan for instance, that other names are brought up who supposedly didn't do things either. I don't like Harry Reid and was hoping he'd lose in NV but we are talking about Paul Ryan here and the things he's accomplished. Which isn't much for a supposedly respected and fantastic leader as Mitt Romney now calls him. As a leader, his record is dismal. If he were a leader he'd get more bills passed. He is like every other member of Congress--out for themselves!

Why the Senate hasn't passed a budget

Republicans have relentlessly harangued the Senate's Democratic leadership for failing to pass a budget resolution. "1,000 days without a budget," was the title of a typical missive last month. On the weekend Jack Lew, who has just been named Barack Obama's chief of staff after serving as his budget director, defended the Senate by saying it couldn't pass a budget without 60 votes, i.e. without the cooperation of some Republicans. Republicans jumped on Mr Lew, pointing out that under Congress' budget procedure, a budget resolution cannot be filibustered and thus only needs a simple majority vote - typically 51 votes - to pass. Glenn Kessler, The Washington Post's fact checker, awarded Mr Lew four Pinocchios, the top score, for fibbing.

In fact, Mr Lew, while wrong on the narrow wording, is right on the substance. It is true that the Senate can pass a budget resolution with a simple majority vote. But for that budget resolution to take effect, it must have either the cooperation of the house, or at least 60 votes in the Senate. Only someone intimately familiar with Parliamentary procedure can explain this. Jim Horney of the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities is such a person. The following are his edited remarks from our email conversation:

DETAILS: Parliamentary procedure: Why the Senate hasn't passed a budget | The Economist

Forum List

Back